Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Anderson Hitch vs Ram 3500 SB

I’m looking to replace my Curt slider hitch before we leave Ca to head back home to AL, I was looking at the BW slider and the Anderson Hitch. I watched a video of a Ram SB using it and he didn’t have any issues. Just looking for a better/smoother hitch with a more positive connection. Advise is most welcome....

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
BillnLonda
Established Member

M.O.C. #23085
I love my Anderson hitch. I’ve heard folks complaining how it’s unsafe or voids your warranty or whatever, but the thing weighs 40 pounds tops and I can keep it in the basement of my trailer. What’s not to love? They’re just mad because they never get to use the bed of the truck anymore.😂
BillnLonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Ok so despite what some have said in the past I am speaking from 1st hand experience. At last year's fall rally I had service work done at the factory and I have (and love) our AUH. The product manager, the service manager and the engineering manager all said the same thing to me. The Andersen hitch is approved by both Keystone and Lippert and did not void my warranty. There was more to the conversation however it would only serve to distract from the thread. I don't have a short bed so I cannot comment on that aspect however the hitch has been wonderful for us. Smooth towing, no chucking, clanking or slamming. My granddaughter can lift it both into and out of the truck. She is 12.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
This issue has come up many times with divided reviews. Mostly, those who have them like them a lot while most nay-sayers have never used one and don't plan to.

I've enjoyed ours and find it quiet, smooth, and easy to take in and out of the truck. I have the short bed truck and find I have more than enough turning radius.

As with many things, this is a personal choice, not a right or wrong one. There are many good hitches that will get you from point A to point B safely. Buy what works for you.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I too love my Andersen for the same above mentioned reasons, but keep in mind you can still hit your cab if you turn to sharp. Of course if you turn sharp enough you can hit with any hitch.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have used the Anderson hitch with an 18000# fifth traveling approx 8000miles this year through Canada, US, and down to Mazatlan Mexico. Needless to say some of the roads were terrible, especially in California!! The hitch performed very well, safe, quiet and smooth. I have a 2015 Chev 3500 long bed and have no issues with clearances. This hitch might not be for everyone but so far I am very happy with it.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One of our members with a really steep grade on his driveway was concerned about the strength of the Anderson. He called the factory and was told their hitch couldn't handle it. Pullrite makes a similar hitch and it was certified to be strong enough.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
One of our members with a really steep grade on his driveway was concerned about the strength of the Anderson. He called the factory and was told their hitch couldn't handle it. Pullrite makes a similar hitch and it was certified to be strong enough.
I'm curious about this. Was it a strength issue or was the angle too much to allow for full travel without binding?

It seems odd that strength would be an issue when just moving in and out of a driveway. No speed, no hard bumps or jolting. Just curious...
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As it was related to me, it is a strength issue. Not a concern under normal circumstances.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I remember it was pertaining to an extreme angle regarding the member's steep driveway.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #11
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I remember it was pertaining to an extreme angle regarding the member's steep driveway.
Was it a rail version or the goose ball version or both.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I have gotten into situation where I had to back into a space up a hill and have about an 80 degree angle, this is where I believe I would get in trouble with out the slider. Tight space and those having to back up you have to be careful.

Thanks for all your reply’s

2017 3160 RL
Old 04-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I don’t remember. It is a thread on the forum that you can search for. I remember it was a pretty lengthy thread. Oh yeah most all of the threads regarding Andersen Manufacturing are lengthy. Sorry
Old 05-01-2020, 06:12 AM   #14
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I too love my Andersen for the same above mentioned reasons, but keep in mind you can still hit your cab if you turn to sharp. Of course if you turn sharp enough you can hit with any hitch.
While this is true, it also needs to be mentioned that you won't hit your cab with a slider under even the most extreme turning conditions. In order to hit your cab with a slider, you would need to be well OVER 90 degrees, and at that point, you're not doing anything to move the 5er.

For the Andersen setup, and a SB pickup with most typical SB setups, you will most likely be able to hit your cab, and you need to pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
I have gotten into situation where I had to back into a space up a hill and have about an 80 degree angle, this is where I believe I would get in trouble with out the slider. Tight space and those having to back up you have to be careful.

If you've been in this situation before, and you're concerned about getting in this situation again, my guidance would be for you to seriously reconsider any thoughts about getting a NON-slider hitch. A slider hitch is the only type of hitch that is going to afford you the clearance to turn tight AND go thru a dip/incline. The only other option would be a LB pickup.

I'm not familiar with the Curt slider that you mentioned in your OP, but is there something that is not setup correctly on the hitch that makes it behave the way that it does? We had a PullRite Superglide for 20 years, and when it was "annoying", it was an indication that it was out of adjustment. I was always skeptical of the integrity of the design (being an engineer), but that concern quickly faded when I started backing and didn't worry about anything.

Good luck, in whatever route you take! Safe travels...
Old 05-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #15
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
While this is true, it also needs to be mentioned that you won't hit your cab with a slider under even the most extreme turning conditions. In order to hit your cab with a slider, you would need to be well OVER 90 degrees, and at that point, you're not doing anything to move the 5er.

For the Andersen setup, and a SB pickup with most typical SB setups, you will most likely be able to hit your cab, and you need to pay attention.

If you've been in this situation before, and you're concerned about getting in this situation again, my guidance would be for you to seriously reconsider any thoughts about getting a NON-slider hitch. A slider hitch is the only type of hitch that is going to afford you the clearance to turn tight AND go thru a dip/incline. The only other option would be a LB pickup.

I'm not familiar with the Curt slider that you mentioned in your OP, but is there something that is not setup correctly on the hitch that makes it behave the way that it does? We had a PullRite Superglide for 20 years, and when it was "annoying", it was an indication that it was out of adjustment. I was always skeptical of the integrity of the design (being an engineer), but that concern quickly faded when I started backing and didn't worry about anything.

Good luck, in whatever route you take! Safe travels...

This Curt get the job done, it’s just a sloppy single jaw and I like to get a double jaw that don’t have the slop when stopping or taking off from a dead stop. .

I was looking at the pullRite last night and really like the auto slide.

2017 3160 RL
Old 05-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
This Curt get the job done, it’s just a sloppy single jaw and I like to get a double jaw that don’t have the slop when stopping or taking off from a dead stop. .

I was looking at the pullRite last night and really like the auto slide.
Pullrite auto slides are great, if you want to limit hitching ,and unhitching at much of an angle they CANNOT be hitched up at too much of an angle, thats a fact. They can ,and are temperamental when hitching ,and unhitching . A good friend got finally got tired of his and went with the Andersen.

I nearly went with one, but have been happy with my manual slider, and the Andersen. I tow with both ,depending on the trip. I also tow with a Ram Megacab 3500, no issues with either hitch .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #17
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Pullrite auto slides are great, if you want to limit hitching ,and unhitching at much of an angle they CANNOT be hitched up at too much of an angle, thats a fact. They can ,and are temperamental when hitching ,and unhitching . A good friend got finally got tired of his and went with the Andersen.

I nearly went with one, but have been happy with my manual slider, and the Andersen. I tow with both ,depending on the trip. I also tow with a Ram Megacab 3500, no issues with either hitch .
I'm a certifiable PullRite fanboy, in full disclosure.

The above is true about the PullRites. You are limited on the hookability. With that being said, I've never had an issue with that, but it does exist.

But, one thing that is true about the PullRites is that latch is "positive" because it wraps all the way around, but there is movement in their hitches, and it's something that you ha e to get used. I think that they make a great product, but it is not for everyone ..
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #18
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Well, I really do t mine manually pulling the lever for the slide. I’ll keep narrowing it down.

2017 3160 RL
Old 05-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #19
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I’ve comparing the 20k Companion slider with the 24k PullRite Super Glide and in y’all’s experiences which one of these has the best or least amount of looseness, 500 bucks difference between the two is not an issue. My gut says Super Glide.....

2017 3160 RL
Old 05-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #20
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The B&W non-slider has adjustments that allows the pin to sit forward or rearward of center. For a SB like mine it provides plenty of clearance from the cab.