Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #21
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
Had my axles checked for alignment twice. Once in Charleston, SC @ $100 per axle and once in San Antonio, TX at $125 for the one needing alignment and $65 for checking the other- which did not need alignment. I backed the rig on their rails in both cases and waited while they did the work. Chained the axle to hold it and used an air over hydraulic jack to do the bending. Both operators told me these campers are built, usually, with the loads right at the limit of the axles So, a pothole, curb strike, series of tight turns may throw them out. We all tend to load them up. Eh?

Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #22
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
Re earlier post: Used Charleston Truck and Frame in Chas. SC and another big rig place in San Antonio. You do not go to your RV dealer. I tried them first and got that blank look ��
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #23
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbored View Post
Had my axles checked for alignment twice. Once in Charleston, SC @ $100 per axle and once in San Antonio, TX at $125 for the one needing alignment and $65 for checking the other- which did not need alignment. I backed the rig on their rails in both cases and waited while they did the work. Chained the axle to hold it and used an air over hydraulic jack to do the bending. Both operators told me these campers are built, usually, with the loads right at the limit of the axles So, a pothole, curb strike, series of tight turns may throw them out. We all tend to load them up. Eh?
Exactly right. Also an indicator that you may need to increase your suspension size to 8k.

Most of the suspension issues people have are a result of being overweight, and then driving down bad roads. Has little to do with the suspension type.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I would disagree. Toe or camber will wear tires. Normally tire wear on trailers is due to bent axles causing camber misalignment.

Caster is basically a non issue with straight axles as they do not steer on trailers.
The camber has to be off quite a bit and will only cause the edge of a tire to wear more and the other Edge
However if the toe is way off it will scrub the tread off quickly.
As stated it is much more important to have the toe correct than the camber.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #25
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
The camber has to be off quite a bit and will only cause the edge of a tire to wear more and the other Edge
However if the toe is way off it will scrub the tread off quickly.
As stated it is much more important to have the toe correct than the camber.
Both angles can cause excessive tire wear. In the case of trailers, it is more likely camber will be off moreso than toe. If spring hangers are positioned correctly, there are fewer forces that cause axles to bend fore and aft than vertically. I've seen way more tire wear on edges than simple wear due to scrubbing.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #26
azwiz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23139
check out this system

https://bendtrailers.com/lippert-cor...xoCCVcQAvD_BwE
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW, Aisin, 4:10, B&W 3600 Companion
2019 3121RL Montana 20th Anniversary Edition
Did you ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #27
jrsemrad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21904
I am not an expert, however I think caster is applicable to steering axels and not an issue for trailer axels. Only toe and camber relate to trailer axels. Correct me if I am full of it.
jrsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsemrad View Post
I am not an expert, however I think caster is applicable to steering axels and not an issue for trailer axels. Only toe and camber relate to trailer axels. Correct me if I am full of it.
I think you would be correct
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #29
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsemrad View Post
Toe, camber & thrust angle. In my post up above, I mistakenly said caster, not sure if autocorrect got me, or I just simply mistyped. Thrust angle will make the trailer want to dog track to the left or the right, which will also cause abnormal tire wear.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #30
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Not sure where we are going with this! Dexter gave me two upgraded axles to correct camber/toe issue. These axles have heavier metal to correct camber. Axles on measurement from king pin to axles determined right side on both axles out 1/2 inch which is greater than readjusting hangers, it will require moving spring brackets on frame to get axles to travel down the road parallel to the direction of travel. Lot has happen since beginning,of tread so needed update. I will not be bending new axles to correct camber nor can I adjust suspension to correct misalignment. I now have complete faith in alignment shop. More so than Montana or Lippert.
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #31
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Dexter replaced both axles. Bushings on some springs were worn thru and some shackles were starting to wear flat. Replaced all shackles and bushings. Realigned and measured axle and all was correct. Front axle was show strange wear but rear axle Lippert and Montana said was bent with a toe issue. Trailers home! Thanks to everyone for all the ideas.
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #32
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Thx for the follow up. Now its time to load up that camper and go wear it out!