Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Adjusting slide-out bracket

Looking for creative problem solvers out there! Attached are pics of the cable setup where two previous cables have frayed badly. The now-famous training video from Norco illustrates this problem and advises that the bracket needs to be adjusted so the cable passes through the hole in the jamb without rubbing against the edges of the hole. In my case, the cable rubs against the top of the hole.

1. I don’t see that there’s much adjusting that can be done with the bracket, now that all the screws have been installed. There are a couple holes that would allow for initial adjustment, prior to finalizing the bracket’s position with all the other screws. But I think I would only be asking for trouble to try to move it now. Am I wrong? Are there options available to me relative to the bracket?
2. I suppose a person could try to ream out the hole in the jamb, to create space at the top of the hole. I don’t have the tools to do that. I have spoken to the dealership, and will probably ask them to do something about it when I take the trailer in for other service.
3. Alternatively, is there something that could be applied to the top perimeter of the hole to make the opening smoother/cushioned so that the cable doesn’t fray so quickly?

Photos 1 and 2 should be rotated 90 degrees to the right.
Photos 3 and 4 should be rotated 180 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09B7E959-2940-4AFB-9DC6-CDCFF823C98B.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	7254   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D37DA99-502A-4CFE-8AF2-8F20C0B9FD3A.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	7255   Click image for larger version

Name:	1E0F0AE6-39F4-42D7-8925-DDF2A7573592.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	7256   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE30C59-0E21-4F10-9DAF-5CB923242D00.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	7257  
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
No metal in the jamb

Well, it turns out enlarging the opening was easier than I thought it was going to be. The opening the cable passes through from outside to inside only involves the plastic jamb. I drilled several very small holes to weaken the area above the opening, then used a utility knife to cut that area out, enlarging the opening upward. Easy enough.

But it makes me wonder whether my theory is accurate about the fraying being a result of the cables rubbing against the opening. Made sense when I thought the opening had metal edges. Could that somewhat soft plastic really cause damage to the cable?

If not, then I have no idea what could have damaged the two previous cables. . . .
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
DCB, I had to have 2 cables replaced because they frayed and broke within 6 months of taking delivery of our 2017 3810MS. The techs both told me that it was just a bad cable. It happen a 3rd time which I decide to investigate myself and also replace the cable. The root cause was that the factory had installed the cable roller assemble that is mounted to the coach wall, incorrectly. They had mounted it too close to the slide opening. This caused the cables to rub on the corner of the slide roof which cause the cables to rub together. All I needed to do was to relocate the roller assembly 3/4 of an inch further away from the slide opening. I did this 3 years ago and have not had any cable or slide issues since. I do carry a spear cable kit and crimper in our coach just in case. Only had to use it once, on a fellow Montana owner's coach, it had the same issue as mine.
This might help you and others.
Good luck
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote