Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Another rim upgrade question

I've been following a couple of threads here about tire/rim upgrades to try to find an answer to a related question, but have had no luck. So, here's the question:

When I got my trailer, my first stop was my local tire dealer. This dealer has always been fair, has many years experience in the tire business, and has always seemed very knowledgeable. I told him I wanted to upgrade the tires, and he recommended the Goodyear G614s. I told him I was concerned about the 110lb tire pressure since I wasn't sure what the rating of the OEM rims were. He said he would check the rims when he dismounted them, but he wasn't concerned about the rims, and he had several other customers running the G614s on similar OEM rims.

I've run the G614s on the OEM rims now for around 3000 miles now with no problems. But, I've been concerned because we never did find a max pressure rating on the rims.

The equipment is a 2015 Montana High Country. This is an aluminum (or alloy) rim. The rims are 16", 6 lug on a 5.5" spacing. The only rating figures on the rims are: "Max Load 3580 lbs". The other markings on the rim are "Made in China" (of course), PDW, and J2530, and 16x6J. I found what appears to be the OEM wheels on http://www.tredittire.com but there no specs listed for the rims.

Questions: Does anyone know the rim rating for this rim? Has anyone else run the G614s (or another 110PSI tire) on similar OEM rims?

Of the rim ratings I can find, there DOES NOT seem to always be a direct correlation between the max tire pressure of a rim and the load rating, i.e. - a 3580 lb max load rating does not always mean a 80 lb pressure, etc. Also - on rims advertised my many resellers, max rim pressure is never listed.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote