Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
Furnace blower problem

Chilly greetings to you all from the foothills of North West South Carolina.

My furnace started a new truck recently. It popped the 15amp blade fuse for the furnace blower. This is what happens....

The thermostat clicks and the blower works normally for anywhere from 5 to 10 cycles. Then without warning the thermostat clicks, the blower engages and within a second or two of the blower beginning to turn the fuse pops.

Seems to me to be a resistance problem in the blower motor, like it is struggling to start from a full stop causing the fuse to overload and pop.

I know some now have a self resetting blade fuse, I have seen people talk about them online, but mine is a simple 15amp fuse.

Camper is a 2002 Montana 285RKS

Anyone else have this issue?

Also where is the blower motor,I looked behind the grill ans found the burner box but see no fan and the burner box is only about 6" tall. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

RBuffordTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Sounds like the blower motor is shot, or at least the bearings are bad and causing drag which causes higher amperage which melts the fuse. There should be a manufacturer data tag inside which will give you model number and from there you can find a manual and what part number the motor is. It might also give you instructions how to replace the motor. If the motor isn't available, you would then have to start looking at a replacement furnace.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
I have that same fear, the fan has drag from something ans bearings makes sense to me. I will look i have paperwork on this beast maybe the furnace too.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
if by cycles you mean it makes heat 5 or 10 times then you have an issue I would be checking the wiring connections. loose and dirty are 90% of electrical problems. you should hear a bearing noise or at least something not normal noise wise.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Could be the blower as mentioned ed above. Maybe remove it, clean it oil the bearings and try it again.
There are a couple of furnace troubleshooting files in the files section
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hp?do=cat&id=3
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
RBuffordTJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skw774 View Post
if by cycles you mean it makes heat 5 or 10 times then you have an issue I would be checking the wiring connections. loose and dirty are 90% of electrical problems. you should hear a bearing noise or at least something not normal noise wise.
I have been thinking motor, but could be a corroded connection. Seems to be a resistance issue causing the fuse to blow.
RBuffordTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#blowermotor, #blownfuse, #furnace