Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Al & Sandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27372
Slide cable

We just picked up our 2021 Montana 294RL about a month ago, and have not had chance to use it yet, since we had to winterize it as soon as we got it home. While winterizing we noticed that one of the slides has a bit of a frayed cable on one side (see picture).

I am curious if this is a common issue? Also, is this something that I should be concerned about and contact the dealer for repair/replacement of the cable?

Thanks for your opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide cable.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	7917  

Al & Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! It's hard to say what the root cause is. It might have come that way from the factory or there might be a pulley alignment problem causing extra strain when it's fully open. Regardless, I wouldn't leave it that way and I would definitely get with the dealer to resolve.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That is not normal and it should be fixed. That cable is rubbing on something IMHO.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would have that cable replaced but more importantly find out why it is frayed. Something caused it. You need to find out what and fix the problem.
The cable slide system is actually very good IF it’s installed correctly. Did you notice that is a big if.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Agree with the above. That is not normal. There is something causing that fray; it needs to be identified, corrected and then the cable replaced by the dealer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
One of my cables looks worse, and I bought the repair kit two years ago. I'm quite the slacker because the kit's still in a drawer. I think the reason it frayed is because the hole it passes through is slightly off center.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al S. View Post
We just picked up our 2021 Montana 294RL about a month ago, and have not had chance to use it yet, since we had to winterize it as soon as we got it home. While winterizing we noticed that one of the slides has a bit of a frayed cable on one side (see picture).

I am curious if this is a common issue? Also, is this something that I should be concerned about and contact the dealer for repair/replacement of the cable?

usually that bracket on the right side of your picture is adjusted too high or low and when it goes thru the wall bracket it rubs...

you are so lucky you saw it now...get the cable replaced and adjusted before you trip out
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Yikes

Quote:

I would definitely keep an eye on it and have the dealer address it ASAP under warranty. It might not fail soon, but the stresses put on those cables (which are thick for a reason) could turn a factory-supplied fray into a catastrophe.
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
spyle791
Established Member

M.O.C. #10278
it is a common problem related to poor installation as a few others said.. i have a 2010 and had a cable fraying after 7 years. it frayed to the point it wouldn’t go thru pullies. if you just picked it up, get it replaced unde4 warranty. have them show you why it failed and inspect any other cables you have.

repairs are more complicated if you ignore
it until the cable snaps. And

you might be stuck unable to close it and move the unit.
spyle791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #10
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Welcome, change the cable.
If you touch it at any time it’s going to hurt like hell.
Tell the dealer it’s a safety issue.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:

That is not normal. It is a warranty issue and needs to be replaced, after they figure out what it is rubbing on and correct that issue as well. The rubbing on the cable is obvious in the picture. Might as well get it into the dealer since the trailer is already winterized. Also, you might want to pull your battery out of the RV, but bring it with you. Have the dealer use their battery while in for repairs. Dealers are notorious for draining your battery which damages your battery if they run it dead. If they claim they need your you can throw it back in but warn them they will be replacing yours if they don’t keep it charged.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:59 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
If you just purchased the RV new, then it is still under warranty. Get the cause fixed and the cable replaced. As a note, I carry a replacement well, actually four, one of which is a carry over from a 2006 of another make so if I have an on-road incident it can be fixed,

BAL Accuslide have videos as well as a couple You Tube videos as well as a manyal that show you the workings of that system.

Some info for you as well:

https://balrvproducts.com/products/o...de/index.shtml

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-22305-Cab.../dp/B00303EG7M
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:

watch this video it will explain cable misalignment and fraying

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-cable.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	7995  
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Great video.
These cables should not go bad and won’t unless something is causing it. If this system is installed correctly and the wall is built correctly it will last longer than the camper. After watching this video check yours to be sure you don’t have a problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #15
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Not adjsted rght..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #16
Al & Sandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #27372
Thanks for all the good feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
watch this video it will explain cable misalignment and fraying

Thanks for the very informative video and alignment picture. Also, thanks to everybody else for their input. My new Montana is back at the dealer getting the cable replaced, but when I get it back I will certainly check the alignment!
Al & Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote