Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
Ronaldg

M.O.C. #27639
Does thermostat in bedroom 3711FL control the furnace

Problem: the bedroom thermostat does not turn on the furnace.

What i have done.

I have 2 thermostats. One in upper living room
One in bedroom
the one in the living room by the door when in furnace mode turns on the heat.
I feel heat in the living room and some in the bedroom.

But if the one by the living room is OFF.
and i try to turn on the heat with the one in the bedroom the furnace never comes on. Ever (is that broken?)

If i switch the bedroom thermostat to air the air cond comes on fine.
yes i know it controls the back air cond
but since there is only one furnace. I wondered if the one in the bedroom is supposed to turn it on.

I had someone come to my rv to try to fix it but he said he thought the back thermostat did not did not control the furnace ON or off.
Any help would be appreciated.

I guess i am wondering if this is broken or my brain is broken. I don't know much about rv heating.

thanks for anyone who replies.

Ronaldg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The bedroom thermostat does *NOT* control the furnace despite it implying it can. You are are not brain dead.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
Ronaldg

M.O.C. #27639
thank you sooo much for replying. I was checking ALL the fuses i even pulled the thermostat off and the furnace cover. You helped me a great deal. I was ready to purchase a new thermostat.
Thank you!. kind of crazy though.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
KYRattler

M.O.C. #27645
Our High Country 377FL has two units and thermostats exactly like you describe. The rear unit (controlled by your bedroom thermostat) is AC/fan only. The main or front unit has both electric and propane heaters. The electric is housed in the unit itself and can supply modest heat. But if it gets too cold out, the propane heater (which should be located under your living room steps beside the vacuum) will turn on (if selected on the thermostat) and give you that good "gas heat."

Both systems are ducted together. So, whatever conditioning is being applied, the units will push that air through the entire cabin.

Hope this helps.
KYRattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #5
Ronaldg

M.O.C. #27639
it certainly does. I just spent a week sleeping on the front couch cause i didn't think the heat in the bedroom was working. There is really no place to find this information but it does make sense now. Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:01 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
You have to make your own heat in the bedroom
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I was just thinking last week when we were in Virginia that it would be a nice option to have a switch that swaps the thermostats so the bedroom one would control the heat pump and furnace. I have In-Command and it has just two physical sensors, so for me I would think that just swapping the wires with a switch would do the trick, but the same could be done for the thermostats.
Anyone ever attempted this?
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
SandyRV
Established Member

M.O.C. #27374
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYRattler View Post
Our High Country 377FL has two units and thermostats exactly like you describe. The rear unit (controlled by your bedroom thermostat) is AC/fan only. The main or front unit has both electric and propane heaters. The electric is housed in the unit itself and can supply modest heat. But if it gets too cold out, the propane heater (which should be located under your living room steps beside the vacuum) will turn on (if selected on the thermostat) and give you that good "gas heat."

Both systems are ducted together. So, whatever conditioning is being applied, the units will push that air through the entire cabin.

Hope this helps.
I have the HC 377fl as well. How do you set it to only use the heat pump and not use propane?
SandyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:40 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Ours is a Montana Legacy, but assuming the stats are same or similar, there is a mode on the zone 1 thermostat that says Heat Pump. When you cycle through, I have A/C, Furnace, Heat Pump and Fan.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Markra
Established Member

M.O.C. #18600
3711fl

I have a 2016 3711FL legacy and have the same setup. I am in the process of moving the front thermostat from the outside wall to maybe the bar area between the sink and couch. In its original location there is no insulation behind it and I have to set the heat super low or it will bake the rest of the rv and set the AC high so that it at least cycles off a little. As you have found out the rear thermostat is AC only.
Markra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Ours is on an interior wall next to the pantry below a cabinet. The wife tends to make her coffee there which totally messes things up. Been thinking about moving it also.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #12
Illini-triker

M.O.C. #18219
I have a 2015 3711 FL I only have 1 thermostat in the living room when i turn on the furnace it show it on 1 and 1 is bed room
Illini-triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldg View Post
Problem: the bedroom thermostat does not turn on the furnace.

What i have done.

I have 2 thermostats. One in upper living room
One in bedroom
the one in the living room by the door when in furnace mode turns on the heat.
I feel heat in the living room and some in the bedroom.

But if the one by the living room is OFF.
and i try to turn on the heat with the one in the bedroom the furnace never comes on. Ever (is that broken?)

If i switch the bedroom thermostat to air the air cond comes on fine.
yes i know it controls the back air cond
but since there is only one furnace. I wondered if the one in the bedroom is supposed to turn it on.

I had someone come to my rv to try to fix it but he said he thought the back thermostat did not did not control the furnace ON or off.
Any help would be appreciated.

I guess i am wondering if this is broken or my brain is broken. I don't know much about rv heating.

thanks for anyone who replies.
LOL! No you have not lost your mind. I did the same thing when I first got my Monte. No one really explained that the furnace is run with one thermostat. Would have been good to know, right? Typically, the main living area thermostat controls the heat pump, if you have one, and the furnace. Can’t run both at the same time though. Cycle through the menu and you will see A/C, Heat Pump,and furnace come up. One trick i learned with the heat pump is that if you run the A/C fan in the bedroom on low it helps circulate the heat that the heat pump blows through the A/C ducting. Just make sure the A/C temp in the bedroom is turned up high enough so it doesn’t kick on the compressor. I found the heat pump is only good for temps to the low 50’s or so. Otherwise, DW says its time for the furnace. We have the “fireplace” electric heater plus a portable electric heater, and electric blankets. The electric heaters do a good job keeping us warm down to the lower 30’s to supplement the propane furnace. In the AM we kick on the propane furnace and warms us up pretty quick. So now you know!! Stay toasty!!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
cpruitt1968@gmail.com

M.O.C. #21055
The thermostat in the bedroom of the 3711fl controls the bedroom a/c which is also a heat pump. or at least it does on a 2017 model.
cpruitt1968@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Just my 2cents... when it’s so cold you need the furnace, you need to be careful only using electricity as your heat source. Once you into the thirties and your heat pump doesn’t heat your furnace provides some heat to your basement and water piping. Going to need a balance.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #16
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpruitt1968@gmail.com View Post
The thermostat in the bedroom of the 3711fl controls the bedroom a/c which is also a heat pump. or at least it does on a 2017 model.
Mine is a heat pump in the bedroom. I know the 2017's had heat pumps. OP didn't say what year his is. Ours is also a 3731FL.

My furnace thermostat is located in the hall next to the bathroom near center of the rig. The bedroom heat pump is ducted into the main ducts in the ceiling but really is only good down to about 40 deg outside temp. If you try to run it at say 30 it will ice up do to overwork. But if it's 40 to 50 outside I will run the H/P and it will push heat all the way to the living room up front.

If you have the heat pump I think it will have a name like whisper quiet or something.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #17
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The bedroom thermostat does *NOT* control the furnace despite it implying it can. You are are not brain dead.
I've been wrestling with this anomaly ever since we got this rig Oct. 2017!! And still have not figured out why the a/c fan (on top of the 5r) comes on when only asking for gas heat. The bedroom one comes on if I set it on furnace (bedroom stat). And the rear (living room) a/c fan comes on if I select furnace on the living room stat. None of the operations of 5th wheel cooling or heating operations have ever made any sense to my brain dead thinking. Worked 40 years in the domestic cooling/heating field and still confused on the RV way.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:26 AM   #18
Cubscoach

M.O.C. #33241
heating & ac

If i am reading the posts on furnace operation you should turn the bedroom thermostat off and the living room thermostat to heat. i use propane to heat
Cubscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:44 AM   #19
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
[QUOTE=KYRattler The electric is housed in the unit itself and can supply modest heat. But if it gets too cold out, the propane heater (which should be located under your living room steps beside the vacuum) will turn on (if selected on the thermostat) and give you that good "gas heat."[/QUOTE]

Saying this.. our 3231CK will be ok heat wise until it gets to about 38 degrees on 'electric heat'. under 38 and i'll have to switch to 'gas heat'.

R-
Old 10-10-2023, 02:27 PM   #20
dlowrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #32586
Hello
In my 22 3231CK, the bedroom thermostat only controls the front (bedroom) a/c. The other thermostat controls the rear living area unit, which is a combo a/c and electric heater. That thermostat also controls the gas furnace. The vent system distributes some heat to the front bedroom if using only electric heat. Hope this helps.
Take care.
dlowrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, thermostat