Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Montana 3900FB

Hello, we just ordered a 3900FB and was curious if there were any members already in one. I would love to hear the good and the bad. Thank you.

vibetech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There was a recent thread on the 3900FB http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=52887 and it appears there are at least two members with this model.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vibetech1

Hello, we just ordered a 3900FB and was curious if there were any members already in one. I would love to hear the good and the bad. Thank you.
Good luck on your new Montana 3900 model. Are you getting the Big Sky package? It looks like a great floor plan. Safe travels and enjoy.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
We have one on order. Should be in in 7-10 days. We too are interested to hear from others that have this unit. We saw it at the show in Jan and loved the bath and half. We decided to order one for we wanted the colors and etc the way we wanted it. We were told it will be off line this week. Again would love to hear from others that have the unit already.
johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We purchased the 3900 in January from our cousin who is a manager at Orangewood RV in Surprise, AZ. We love having the bath and 1/2, storage in kitchen we are getting use to. There just isn't that many cabinets to put our dishes, we have them in the cabinet over the table and it is working great. Our dogs are loving the room that they have and both try to lay in front of the fireplace on cold nights. We went from a 2006 2950RK Montana to the 2013 3900FB we feel like we made the right choice. Hope you love yours as much as we do.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I know if I was gonna order a new rig that is the one we would order. Saw it at an RV show and we loved the floor plan and huge bathroom. I like a little elbow room in the bathroom.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
We took delivery of our 2014 Montana 3900FB 5/22/13. Camping world had her detailed and ready to go. As expected there were a couple issues. Here are a few highlights. The outside was beautiful. The only thing i noticed were a couple of fender screws missing. No biggie. CW replaced. Everything else looked great. We had ordered the Mocha interior and when we walked inside there was no mocha to be found. After speaking with CW they indicated that for 2014 Mocha was out and Copper Patina was in. Apparently Copper Patina is the new Mocha. The colors were still brownish which is what we were looking for with the Mocha. After allowing time for it to sink in we decided the Copper Patina would be fine. I later went to Keystones web-site and noticed Mocha was still available. I also noticed the Copper Patina they had on their web-site looked completely different than what was in our rv. Just be aware if you are thinking of ordering a 2014 have the dealer verify with Keystone if the colors you want are still available. This kind of goes along with the exterior color we chose. Initially while researching the Big Sky package we decided the full body paint was what we wanted. There are a couple review web-sites that show the 3900FB with last years paint scheme with the white front cap. We loved it. The problem was I couldn't find it on any 2013's that were for sale on line. I called Keystone and they told me they switched to a black front cap beginning in the middle of 2012. I'm really glad I called. We stayed with the white gel-coat finish. Again if you are going to spend big bucks on a new rig make sure you verify EVERYTHING with the manufacture before you place your order. Regarding the interior CW told us sometimes Keystone will make line changes and not immediately share the information with them (like our interior color) so be diligent in verifying you order is correct. I cant think of anything worse than spending $70.000.00 on a new rv and having to settle on certain items. Another item was the central vac was basically just setting in it's mounting hole and had never been properly installed. That was taken care of as well. One last thing was the ladder chair we ordered was missing. CW ordered it and should be here soon. This is our 3rd rv so we expected issues but knew they would be taken care of. All in all we were very happy with the fit and finish and are excited for her maiden voyage. The leather chairs were actually nicer than the 2013s. They have a higher back and are way more comfortable. Our daughter has already claimed the 1/2 bath (as expected). I got to take it home set it up and play with it for 3 days before having to put it in storage. We just love it and are excited to begin making memories with family and friends. One last comment. For those who may be interested we ordered this coach with EVERY available option including generator, 2nd a/c, toppers etc. With all options the dry weight was 13400#s.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
We picked up ours on April 1st. Like others said we had a few
Issues that Camping World took care of. That said we are very happy
with the fit and finish and the coach over all . Two items we are not
Happy about is no gravity fill for the fresh water tank and the black
tank #2 has no flush system. Black tank #1 has the flush system
But not tank 2. That does not mane a y sense to me.
That said over all we love the unit. If you need any other info
you can PM me. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
We have 2 black flushes and 2 grey flushes.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
We have 2 black tanks and 2 gray tanks also. I was
Referring flushing it out with water when you hook up
a hose to the to the outside to flush out the black tanks after
Dumping them. I called keystone and was told they only have
the flush done for the large bathroom only. They did not have provisions
for the black tank #2 the small bathroom.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #11
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
It's definitely a nice unit. We weighed having the additional and extra bath versus having more living/kitchen space and we opted for more living space, especially the way they designed the entertainment system. As a result, there's less living space and that's where we spend the majority of our time. We feel they could have added more length to the unit, much like Bighorn has done, and not compromised the living/kitchen space, plus design the entertainment system to not be as intrusive. We ended up buying a 3625RE and couldn't be happier with it, plus so much more kitchen counter and cabinet space. In the end, it's all a matter of what you want and what works best for you, not what others think. BTW, for what's it's worth, we shopped around and there are much better deals than CW.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Yep you are correct. It all boils down to preference and how you plan to use the space. We are not full timers and when we go camping we tend to not spend much time inside during the day. We are mostly sight seeing, shopping etc. We very seldom make big meals so counter space is not an issue. In the evening our daughter & friend(s) now have their own private area with their own half bath never having to enter our space. After games and a movie mama and I usually migrate to the bedroom to unwind (kind of like home) before calling it a day. This floor plan is exactly what we were hoping to find. By the way I did my homework before making our purchase. We ordered this coach with EVERY available option minus the Big Sky. I couldn't get past the full body paint scheme. Too much black. I called Keystone and asked if we could add the other four options in the Big Sky package without the paint and they told me no. The gen and the 93 gals of black tank will come in handy dry camping along the California coast. As for price I initially tried CW and they wouldn't deal so I went on the internet and found RV Outlet.com. After giving them the quote I had received from dealers in Texas and Michigan they agreed to beat their price. Our price for this coach was $67880.00 including shipping to California. That's a $4000.00 savings alone. The manufacture spec sheet that came with our coach showed a list price of $107.000.00 so I think we did pretty well. The funny thing was it turns out that RV Outlet is affiliated with Camping World so we were able to take delivery at our local CW. The deal also included a second free battery and a $250.00 gift card.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #13
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
We too have a 3900FB. The floor plan to include a second half-bath is what sold us. If you have a guest or a husband and wife that have to visit the bathroom at the same time, you are golden. As mentioned above, the one thing I don't like is that the smaller bath's black tank is non-flushable. Now I'll have to go out and buy a darn flush hose device and do it from inside the coach - not good. We came to this unit from small trailers and a truck camper so we feel very fortunate and are excited about our new unit. We are leaving this Saturday for a 3-month trip across the country and back again. It will be a good test run.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #14
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Sorry to hear about the second bath having no black tank flush. When we ordered our unit that was one thing I made sure of. Apparently they realized their screw up and began adding it in the 2104's. While doing our walk through I verified there were two (labeled) black tank clean out ports right next to each other. I also went online and watched a walk through of a 2013 and noticed the second flush port wasn't there. I know aftermarket flush systems can be added but not sure of the cost. I did a little research while writing this post and found you can purchase a Tornado rotary flush system from Walmart for around $20.00. I'm sure there's an installation video on YouTube to help out or you can can have it installed for a couple hundred complete. Money well spent in my opinion. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
And that is exactly what I did - went to CW and bought a Camco Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser for $24. I installed it myself. It took 2 hours. Hint: The best place to put it on the tank is on the right side, underneath approximately 2 feet in from the steps. The tank itself is approximately 3' X 7' across the width of the coach. The toilet in the half-bath is over the top of it. First I had to wrestle with the under-carriage cover after removing 12 self-tapping screws. Then I had work it over the gas line that crosses diagonally. After tapping into the tank, I worked the 6-foot hose over to the sewer outlet location and screwed in the bracket just above it. Now I feel better about leaving for an extended time with a method for flushing.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Good job Tony. I was in CW yesterday and saw one hanging on the rack and thought about you. It's always nice to be able to perform these type of upgrades ourselves and save time & $$$. Have a safe and fun filled trip.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Thanks guys. We are in Glendale, UT tonight and tomorrow to check out Zion and Bryce. Note to sel- the road leading into Zion from the West has a height restriction. Read: turn around and go the other way!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #18
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Hello fellow Montana owners. I thought I would share our first experience in our new 2014 Montana 3900FB 5th wheel. We just returned from a week at the coast staying just inland at Lake Lopez in San Luis Obispo. We live in Bakersfield California where it generally stays above 100 degrees for most of the summer so our outlet is to head to the coast. First off our tow vehicle a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1 Liter W/Allison Trans, 4:10 Gears SRW pulled the trailer very nicely. We have to go up an 8% grade for approx 2 miles and we got down to 45 mph just as I expected. Our trailer weighs 13400#s dry and loaded I’m sure we were every bit of 15000#s. No problems with temps or braking. The tow haul with the 8.1 liter engine coupled with the Allison transmission really is sweet. As for the trailer we just loved it. I have to admit the first thing I did was to remove the entry light button the the screen door engages. In the middle of the night while taking the dogs out the lights would tend to wake up our daughter. The button seemed to be getting harder to push as well so out it came. As expected the ½ bath in the living area really came in handy for our daughter. She had her own space at night and never had to enter our space (master bedroom/master bathroom) except for taking showers. The ½ bath is also nice for visitors. Again the master bath only got used by my wife and I. We loved it. The fit and finish of the trailer was very good. There were a few loose or missing screws but that was no big deal. All the appliances worked without a hitch, no water leaks anywhere and the auto leveling system was awesome. Coming from a travel trailer I just love the basement storage. So far there are only two items on my warranty repair list. #1) the a/c ceiling vent above the entry door sounds like there is a piece of loose ducting or foil tab that constantly make a flickering sound. It’s kind of annoying. If I can figure out how to remove the cover I may be able to take care of it. #2) the ½ bath black tank clean out doesn’t seem to be spinning allowing for a good cleaning. I can see a fine water mist shooting across the tank but that’s all. We have a week planned in San Diego soon and then plan to take it back to the dealer to see if I can get these issues resolved. All in all we love the new trailer and look forward to making many more memories in the future.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
cmanger319
Established Member

M.O.C. #13237
We have a 2013 and took delivery in March. We have put ours on a seasonal sight about 40 miles from our S&B. It is on a river in an incredible resort. We have spent every weekend and many weeks in the Monty commuting back and forth to work. We have had many guest spend the night with us and could not me happier with the 3900. Both of us can get ready for work in the mornig without dodging each other. The half bath is great in many ways. Not having a flush in the half bath has not been a big issue. The bath is so close to the door that it takes very little time to flush it with a hose. I may install a flush at some point but it has not been an issue so far. the living room is wonderful. We have had six people in there watchin a movie and did not feel crowded. We did have a number of pull out shelves and other static shelves added to cupboards to make storage easier. We also had an ottoman made for the living room that makes the couch more comfortable and has added storage space for bedding. You will love your 3900.
cmanger319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our new 3900 Big Sky is to be completed on 5 Aug go to paint for ten days and then to us 3rd week of August. We chose the copper patina with dark leather with the new theatre seating. Ours does have a flusher in both black tanks. Our vacuum is in the cabinet on the refrigerator side of the island. We chose the Black and Tan. Wish we had it for Mid Atlantic , but that's life.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote