Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
New Montana!

Yesterday we did it! We went to the Pomona (CA) RV show and bought our new Montana. We got a '05 2980RL with just about everything on it, including the extended hitch pin.

Here's my question: We have a '04 2500HD CC SB 4X4 D/A. I know I'll need a sliding hitch because of the short bed. I've been looking at the Pull Rite auto slide hitch, but the factory rep at the show says that's over-kill. According to him, the radius of the front cap of the Montana is such that I would only need to have the trailer in the rear position when backing at severe angles. Does anyone have any experience with either the auto slide hitch or the need (or lack thereof) for the auto slider.

We are really looking forward to getting our new rig. The hard part is waiting the 7-8 weeks for delivery. We're hoping for mid-December so we can take it to Prescott AZ for New Years.

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome to the MOC bill and I'll take a shot at your question.

Quote:
quote:We have a '04 2500HD CC SB 4X4 D/A. I know I'll need a sliding hitch because of the short bed. I've been looking at the Pull Rite auto slide hitch, but the factory rep at the show says that's over-kill. According to him, the radius of the front cap of the Montana is such that I would only need to have the trailer in the rear position when backing at severe angles.
the factory rep at the show says that's over-kill. According to him, the radius of the front cap of the Montana is such that I would only need to have the trailer in the rear position when backing at severe angles.
I know Montana won't but ask that factory rep if he is going to pay to repair or replace the rear window or repair any damage done to the truck or trailer due to the fact you did not have the slider. If he says he will and is willing to put that in writting than get the hitch anyway. HE writes too many of those guarantees he won't be around long.

I have the 2500HD short bed with the PullRite SuperGlide and I would NOT want to be without it PERIOD In fact I also bought my Montana at an RV show Penna just over a year ago. At the time of sale I had the hitch thrown in as part of the deal. Since buying the rig and hitch we have been in 41 different campgrounds. Some were easy pull thrus or just backed it in without a hitch (pun intended) but a number of them with hard 90 degree turns. Not once did I have to concern myself as to whether or not the trailer was going to take out my rear window. Not once did I have to concern myself with forgetting to pull the handle to allow the hitch to slide.
Also it is not just in a campground you may get into the severe angle. Last April on country road I had to make a u-turn due to an accident up ahead blocking the road. I do not believe I would have made that u-turn without some sort of a slider and being I had the Superglide I didn't even have to give the manuver a thought.
Just the peace of mind that it is back there and it is doing it's job is all the reason I need to have the PullRite.
If your deal is not a "done deal" have them throw the PullRite in with the sale. They did it for me they'll do it for you or at least knock something off the price.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There is a lot of history to this topic. Try doing a search. In a nutshell, those that have Pull Rites, swear by them, those that don't, manage anyway. I'm in the latter category. Manual sliders are in the middle, but it seems people tend to forget to use them.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The rep is partially correct in that the curvature on the Montana nose gives you considerably more turn radius before FW contacts truck. But it still can happen with a manual slider.

In almost 9 years of FW towing with a shortbed I've HAD to use the slider just four times. But when we needed it I was sure glad I had it. I would not recommend that you NOT get a slider.

The superglide is the rolls royce of sliders in my opinion. I sure wish I'd got one in the first place. But we've not needed the slider enough for me to justify swapping our manual for the automatic, especially given their price. But if I were starting over knowing what I know now I'd go with the automatic. But either manual or automatic slider will serve your purpose in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
congrats!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I again have to agree with Glenn on this one. I have done at least 4 U-turns with my coach and I as well dont think I would have been able to make them with my Superglide. I think the big question is for you and only you to answer. When I talk with people about the Superglide and the cost I usually answer their question with two questions. First one being, How much are you going to tow your coach? If it is going to be a weekend here and there or having it set up for 6 months at a time on a lake or what have you, then no you dont need the superglide. If you are going to do alot of towing, why would you not want something that was automatic every time all the time. Nothing to remember, just load up get in and drive. The Superglide does the rest for you. When I ordered my 3400RL at the rv show back in Jan of this year the dealership was offering a free Reese 16k hitch installed, a 7 year warranty or a $1,200 additional discount off the coach. When I asked about the hitch and cost, the Reese hitch was right around $1,200. installed. (if memory serves me right) and the superglide was $2,400 installed. For me it was an easy decision, cost me a one time price of $1,200 out of my pocket for the best insurance against my trucks back window and the front of my coach I could ever buy.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Thank you all for your responses. I knew I would need a slider, the question was: manual or auto. Well, I know now what I'm going to do, and that's to get the Superglide (especially since the wife says we've got the money!) I'm a firm believer in getting the best that you can afford, especially if it means having less to think about in an emergency. Also, as we get older, the memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill & Shari, I think that's a good decision. Remember, what you are really buying is peace of mind.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Bill and Shari, I have to agree, it's a good investment for the future and for your peace of mind. Keep us posted. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:51 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since I have a long box, I don't know about them slider thingies. But I do want to congratulate you on your new Monty. Your particular floor plan seems to be very popular. Happy RVing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:34 PM   #11
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have had two friends that had sliders in their short bed trucks. Both were to macho to use them while parking with a large group watching. Both busted their rear windows out. Get it use it.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #12
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Congratulations on the new Montana. We are right there with the folks who swear by their sliding hitches--our first use came VERY early in our towing career--two weeks into ownership. Have been happy to have it--especially in our storage facility where things are always tight and seem to be getting tighter,
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:30 PM   #13
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
My brother tows a 5er with a short bed and said he didn't need a slider as he only tows back and forth to Ms for the winter. He's already lost one back window on his first trip to Ms last year when pulling out of a Mickey D's. Think you've made a really smart decision.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote