Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2004, 03:11 AM   #1
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Did it again.

Purchased the 2005 Ford F-350 yesterday. Greatest thing
about it is I woke up this morning without feeling guilty.
Won't be towing with it until March as the Montana is
resting peacefully (I hope) in Las Vegas, while we
spend the winter in North East Missouri. Of course we
visit for at least a week a month.

Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 04:53 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello Jim,

Congratulations on your new TV. I'm sure you'll love it.

If you got the new V10 gas, please keep us posted about the MPG.

The new 05 V10 Ford is of great interest to me, and I'm sure others, if the MPG isn't too terrible.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, rxsolutions! We traded for an '05 F250 just one day before you bought yours. But we won't take delivery until Monday. Dealer is putting in some things for us and moving the hitch over. We got the 6.0L PSD diesel and torqueshift, same as in the one we traded. Which engine did you go with?

Azstar, we had the '99 F350 with the V10, first year for the V10. They upped the power the next year but I thought it did a super job with the older version. We towed this same 3295RK fully loaded with that truck. The diesel is even better but the V10 did well. Have they made any significant changes to the V10 for '05? I see you can get an F350 SRW with the V10 with tow rating of 17,000 and GCWR of 23,500.

Like you, we won't be towing with the new one until after Christmas. We just settled into our holidays-with-the-kids homebase. That will give me time to get some miles on it, add the pillar pod gauges, etc., and get to know the truck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
congrats!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Congrats on the new ride. I think we're going to have to join you soon. I think I'm getting the fever.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:29 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Fulltimedreamer, if you don't intend to do it, don't drive one. The difference in ride, turn radius, and just the way it drives and feels, between our '03 and this new one is amazing. If you have even a little fever, a test drive will put you over the edge.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
What a wonderful feeling when you wake up the next morning and not feel guilty about spending so much money. Think about this. My first house I purchased in 1971 in Texas was only 20K. My new '04 F350 PSD, LB, XLT, 4/4 cost 47K. My how times have changed. In spite of the costs I too woke up the next day feeling just great. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:01 AM   #8
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
I got the 6.0 turbo diesel with the built in brake controller.
Got the same color as the 2002, white with tan. Karen can't
understand, because it looks the same as the 2002. Of course if
she drives it she will change her mind. The same it is not!
Took it to St Louis yesterday, and could not believe the difference
in handling.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:34 AM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rxsolutions

Purchased the 2005 Ford F-350 yesterday.
Congratulations...keep us posted on how you like it.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:36 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Congratulations, rxsolutions! We traded for an '05 F250 just one day before you bought yours.
Boys n their toys. Congratulations too. Please keeps us posted as to how much you enjoy it.

P.S. I told my husband my next truck is gonna be a semi
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:41 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
sreigle, Looked at them as well but wife would not me drive one casue she new I would have to have it as well. One thing I did not like about the 2004-2005 changes was the bcak seat. understand they added the rear platform for contractors but it took away the comfort of the rear seat. We use ours for travel adn towing only and have kids looks like it would not be as comfortable. My brother in law made the switch, he tows 30' racing trailer for gokarts. His kids complaioned it was not as comfortable. Let us know how it goes.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:46 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rxsolutions, same color we got this time - white over tan with tan interior.

Broome101, this one is a crew cab but the prior one was a supercab so I have no basis to compare. We won't often have anyone back there anyhow. It does have the rear 60/40 seat that can either fold down or fold up and have the flat floor tray for loading. I think that's what you mean? I will check out back seat comfort. I can't see why it would be affected by the tray, though. The seat is separate from the tray. But obviously I haven't tried it. Looks like those I've seen in earlier models, though. I'll let you know what I think when I finally have the truck here and can check it out.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:18 AM   #13
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Plan to fold the back seats up, and have a carpeted platform built
for our newfoundland Grace. Should give her a lot more room and
comfort and be better for her hips. As for other peoples comfort,
possibly it will discourage them from wanting to go. My wife and
my dog are about all I want with me anyway.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:36 PM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Steve,
The rear seat in our crew cab is about 3 inches thicker than the 04'-05 models less cushion so they could add the platform. I guess you have to give and take. Keep us informed on how she works, I guess you picked it up today. They say it has power and more power to spare. They look great my wife will kill me if I go looking again she wants new van before I get anymore new toys as she says. our truck currently onl has 28K miles on it. Only drive it on camping trips and weekends. So I will still just have truck envey for now. Hope it goes well.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With 28k miles yours isn't even broken in yet! We had 51k on ours after 16 months! Our youngest son and our 3rd granddaughter came over shortly after we got home so I've not sat on that seat yet. There is the folding tray underneath it so you're probably right about comfort.

OK, just went outside and sat on the backseat. Sitting on it for two minutes is not the same as riding on it for a couple of hours so I don't know how valid this is. It seems comfortable to me. It's firm, but not hard, and the cushion is long, giving good thigh support. The truck rides so nicely a firm cushion shouldn't be a problem. The folddown armrest with cupholders is at a good height for resting my arm on. But the real test comes with riding back there for a good distance. I won't be much help on that. I prefer the left front seat. . We likely will not often have passengers back there and usually they'll be our granddaughters. Maybe someone else who has actually ridden back there will respond. Sorry I'm not much help on this. It does feel good to me just sitting on it.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:03 AM   #16
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Awww every one getting 2005`s.I guess I can`t brag that I have a new truck any more.Well good luck with your NEW trucks.I know you guys have a new truck and I have an old truck.Well I did just go buy a new shirt-SO THEIR
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:13 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Harleyrider, are you going to tell us about your new tshirt??

I wouldn't call 2004.5 an old truck! In fact, as long as these things last, they're probably not 'old' for a very long time. This one will be here for a very long time. Mark my words. Or maybe those were Vicki's words.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #18
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
All this talk about new trucks is making me jealous and I better stay away from the Ford Dealer. I just bought the 3400 so I think I'll wait for the 06 - F350 and then break the news to my other half. Good luck to all of you "New Truck Owners" keep us apprised on you like them.

Steve S
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #19
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
OK Steve we are all in truck envy. So lets get out there and take a picture and post it so we can all drwel over the new rig. Hope it all goes well with new truck. i guess for know I will keep my truck since it does great job and is hardly broken it yet.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was going to wait on the picture until we have the rig hitched up but that won't be until after Christmas. So soon as it stops raining and we get some sunshine I'll just get it close and take a picture. My avatar picture is out of date anyhow.