Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Let's Play.... W h e r e ' s ... Hamrad?!

Okay Hamrad..... I've been watching your progress and it's fun trying to figure out where you are. It appears to me that maybe you stayed at the French Camp RV Park on your first night out? It looks like a big 'ole corn field from the satellite pictures.

Hahaha.... maybe we should all play a game and call it...."W h e r e ' s.... H a m r a d?" and try to guess the actual RV park location of you each evening.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
ROTFLMAO,
That's funny D and M On The Road,
We did stay in French Camp last night. Good call. And today we'll be up north of Redding.. I won't say any more than that..... You'll have to tune in to the "Where's HamRad" show to find out the final answer!

See you later... HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Hey Margee,

I think he's playing with us. Looks like he was still in the Lodi area at last update about 11AM. He either turned his tracking device off or hasn't left Lodi yet. If it's the latter I guess we're eating alone tonight. Oops, strike that last statement, there he is now.

Catch you later HamRad.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
...3:40pm pacific time..... hamrad looks to be just south of Redding.
He's coming your way Don!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Thanks Margee,

He must be nearby as about 40 minutes ago I felt the ground rumble a little. Figured it was probably him coming through in that big rig of his.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
In my earlier post... I had meant to add in there that it looked like Hamrad (Dennis & Mary Kay) had gone off Interstate 5.... maybe getting gas?

(I was on a computer at work and had to get off of it real quick!)
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Hmmmmm.....
I was thinking you were going to stay at the lake but it looks too much like streets and houses so my guess where you are staying at is:
Don and Claudia's (Searchers)house? (10:59pm PST)

Question: Is the tracking equipment in the truck or the Montana?

I won't be able to play again until Sunday. My daughter and I are driving down to San Diego tomorrow and we are leaving at about 5am so I better go get some sleep.

Anyone want me to bring them back something from Tijuana?
A Rolex watch?.. Louis Vuitton purse?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:09 AM   #8
alanzuck
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #871
How are you guys tracking each other? I'm new to this, so I don't know what kind of equipment you guys have.
alanzuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alanzuck

How are you guys tracking each other? I'm new to this, so I don't know what kind of equipment you guys have.
Alanzuck,

HamRad is a Ham Radio enthusiast and must have at least 5 antennas on his rig. It looks like a big white critter on the move.

He can surely explain the system better than I, but basically he uses a GPS hookup through his radio gear to upload to an internet site.

If you click on Where are we? in his post signiture line you'll see his location at a particular time. Be sure to scroll down for the actual satellite image.

I'll mention here that he and his wife are the first MOC members we've met face to face and while they were in our area last evening we slapped on the feedbag and enjoyed a few hours together. I must say if the rest of the folks on this forum are half as pleasant to associate with, we have found a fine group indeed!
Old 08-18-2004, 02:09 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
D and M, it's in the Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Folks,
Second night we ended up staying in Don's backyard..... well sort of. He lives just a block or two from the local KOA. By the way... Don had seen us drive into town and came by and said "hello". Then some other friends came by to have dinner so we all went down and had a great dinner and talked Montanas and just about everything else.

Steve the GPS was in the trailer when you and Vicki came by. I've moved it to the truck since then.

Margee... have a great and safe trip.

Third night we are in Eugene, OR. Tomorrow we head up to Portland and head east.

Alanzuck... The GPS is connected to a little translation device which in turn is connected to a 2 meter ham radio. I broadcast my GPS info and hopefully another station picks it up and sends it to the internet. When in remote areas there are few hams so the system simply shows my last position. Sorta fun and allows friends and family to sort of keep track of our travels..... Ok... I'm tired so going to bed.

HamRad
Old 08-19-2004, 06:00 AM   #12
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629

HamRad: When our 3400 arrives, we will join you with the APRS setup. It's a lot of fun following your adventures, and I've only dabbled with my APRS setup here at home,

FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:08 AM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
FireTruckerWife,
KI7GO and KI7GN... welcome and we look forward to having you on board the APRS setup. It is a lot of fun. And of course it let's all the family know where we are. Keep working on getting the aprs going and let's see where you are....

73, de Dennis, KA6TZP
Old 08-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #14
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Thanks for the tip Steve Reigel!

And to HamRad.... thanks for trip wishes. We just got back and of course before I unpack.... gotta see what I missed here while we were gone!

We went all over Southern California and Tijuana. I think our favorite city was Santa Barbara. Stayed in a little motel near Stern's Wharf. Wow... I want to move there.

Okay, I have to try and catch up here on topics and go see if I can guess where HamRad is tonight!
Old 08-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #15
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles on your trip..... hopefully those will be all you'll encounter.

I've been looking to see if I can figure out where you are but the report is just over 6 hours old so I am guessing there's not any other Ham Radio operators in the area. If you were stopped for the night at the last report, I'd probably guess the Nugget Campground in St. Regis?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Margee,
Glad you had a good trip. And I couldn't agree more.... Santa Barbara is sooooooo nice.

Well you are good..... It was the Nugget. Nice park. We enjoyed it even though we didn't have any cell service. Oh, well. Stuff happens. We're at Mountain Meadows RV park tonight. Fairly good cell service here. Making connection via the laptop phone. Well it's dinner so gonna go eat. See you all later. Gonna do Glacier for the next 3 days or so. Later... HamRad
Old 08-24-2004, 03:31 AM   #17
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Gee.... with a bit of investigative work a person can really pinpoint your location. We have been thinking that we'd like to get the APRS system down the road here before we retire and full-time in the Montana.
Enjoy Glacier.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:15 AM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Margee,
Great! It is really easy to get started in Amateur Radio now-a-days. Most all Radio Shack stores have info on how to get started. Several inexpensive books to get you started. Or better yet just go to ARRL... The official source for Ham Radio.
And it is not terribly expensive. Not to mention to tons of fun and a great way to meet many many new friends. Almost as good as the MOC. LOL

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. HamRad
Old 08-24-2004, 06:36 PM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Thanks Hamrad! We'd appreciate the help when the time arrives. I am really into electronic gadgets and the hubby is too once I set everything up and get it working...hahaha

Old 08-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #20
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Okay, here it goes. My guess for your whereabouts tonite (8/24) is Mountain Meadow Campground?