Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Programmer III

Lookin' hard at a Hypertech Programmer III. Reasons or rationalizations: (1) Lookin' for more power for "up the hill". (2) Hypertech touts being able to tow in all three configurations (3) they also tout lower exhaust gas temperatures (4) the claim is that it is not necessary to add a performance exhaust system (5) the cost is significantly lower than Edge, Diablo, Banks, or Superchip. If mileage improves, it would be a bonus. Please argue differently if I am deluded.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:21 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
From what I have seen Edge is the best. Performance tests on other sites have shown this and with the Attitude monitor You can change settings on the fly. If EGT's are getting too high, You can dial down the chip. Most programmers will not let You do this. I also have been looking hard at all the options, it's more of a want than a need for me. My truck tows great and doesn't exactly need help but I kinda want it.
Mileage might improve depending on how the extra power is used. If You can hold overdrive longer without downshifting because of the power, mileage should go up. I would press the pedal more and probably lose mpg(but have more fun!).
It all depends upon the right foot.

Don't do anything without having or adding egt and boost gauges.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:05 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I have the Hypertech programmer and love it. I have had it for about 40,000 miles. I don't have the egt and boost gages but also do not abuse the truck. My mileage went up slightly - from about 10mpg to about 12 when pulling the trailer. Did not notice a change when unloaded. On last trip I pulled our fully loaded 3295 on the leg from Albuquerque to Flagstaff with speed control set at 75. I could still accelerate if required. Then, between Flag and Phoenix I pulled up out of the Verde Valley (5%grade for 5 miles) at 55mph. The truck wasn't straining at all. Awesome....

The only downside is the need to be aware of the extra power. You have the acceleration of a sports car and the suspension of a truck. That could be a bad combination for some drivers.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote