Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2020, 05:36 AM   #21
azwiz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23139
Why did you replace the sailun tires?

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW, Aisin, 4:10, B&W 3600 Companion
2019 3121RL Montana 20th Anniversary Edition
Did you ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #22
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
Why did you replace the sailun tires?
They probably had about 30,000 miles on them and we went to the 17.5" tires so we figured we'd get it all done at once. The reason we went with the Goodyear instead of another set of Sailuns is because of the warranty.
Nat_Park_Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #23
azwiz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23139
with Goodyears you'll need the warranty, they don't have a good reputation, the Sailuns are all steel, sidewalls as well as tread where the Goodyears are only steel belted treads.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW, Aisin, 4:10, B&W 3600 Companion
2019 3121RL Montana 20th Anniversary Edition
Did you ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #24
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
with Goodyears you'll need the warranty, they don't have a good reputation, the Sailuns are all steel, sidewalls as well as tread where the Goodyears are only steel belted treads.
Never had a problem with any of our Sailuns our our Goodyears to date.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #25
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
IS, Disk Brakes, and Timken Bearings: Great Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
What is the cost of the IS installed?
We had the IS, Disk Brake, and Timken Bearing upgrade done a couple of weeks after the 2019 Fall Rally. Price was $6,976 for our 2017 305RL High Country. We had the 7k IS system installed. We've driven about 5,000 miles since then (Indiana to Texas to California and then a couple of trips inside CA). A major improvement in stability and shock absorption. I'd do it again, no question.

The MORRyde Sales Rep (Ryan), the technician that did the work, and Brian (Service Manager) were great to work with.

We've already made a reservation to have them service the system while we're in the area at the 2020 Fall Rally.
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #26
ohiomoen
Established Member

M.O.C. #18457
Do you know what the height difference is between the original setup with spring suspension and your new IS?
2 x Hobie Inflatable Kayaks
ohiomoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomoen View Post
Do you know what the height difference is between the original setup with spring suspension and your new IS?
They measure everything before starting work and then use those measurements to add the new suspension - so we are exactly the same height before and after. This was one of my questions and concerns, but they measured after the work and it was exactly the same.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #28
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandTerri View Post
We had the IS, Disk Brake, and Timken Bearing upgrade done a couple of weeks after the 2019 Fall Rally. Price was $6,976 for our 2017 305RL High Country. We had the 7k IS system installed. We've driven about 5,000 miles since then (Indiana to Texas to California and then a couple of trips inside CA). A major improvement in stability and shock absorption. I'd do it again, no question.

The MORRyde Sales Rep (Ryan), the technician that did the work, and Brian (Service Manager) were great to work with.

We've already made a reservation to have them service the system while we're in the area at the 2020 Fall Rally.
I agree - I wish I had pulled the trigger on earlier and would definitely do it again. Gary was our rep, Sergio did the work and yes, Brian was the manager. Great folks to work with - very pleasant and knowledgeable!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #29
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Height Increase due to IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomoen View Post
The height increased about 3 inches at the suspension/wheel location. Also, the rig is now 13'-3" at the highest point (the top of the front AC Unit).

MORRyde will carefully measure the height of your 5er before and after the modifications.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #30
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Height increase

We pull our 305RL with an F250 SRW truck which puts the nose of the 5er up a bit high. Our 5er had been riding a bit 'nose-high' prior to the upgrade. MORRyde installs spacers between the 5er's frame and the IS System to level the 5er as much as possible. I believe they installed the tallest spacers on our rig and it now rides level. A side benefit for us: there's now more clearance under the rear end of the 5er... about 4-5 inches higher than before? More clearance for the rear jacks too.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #31
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
The height increased about 3 inches at the suspension/wheel location. Also, the rig is now 13'-3" at the highest point (the top of the front AC Unit).

MORRyde will carefully measure the height of your 5er before and after the modifications.
Wow! Ours didn't change at all - it was exactly the same before and after.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #32
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
We pull our 305RL with an F250 SRW truck which puts the nose of the 5er up a bit high. Our 5er had been riding a bit 'nose-high' prior to the upgrade. MORRyde installs spacers between the 5er's frame and the IS System to level the 5er as much as possible. I believe they installed the tallest spacers on our rig and it now rides level. A side benefit for us: there's now more clearance under the rear end of the 5er... about 4-5 inches higher than before? More clearance for the rear jacks too.
Didn't see this until after I replied LOL, but it makes sense. We were pretty much level to begin with on ours.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #33
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
When Mor-Ryde installs spacers it is for leveling purposes only. Mine had 3'' spacers. This only raised the rear of the rv. I was 13'5'' before and 13' 5'' after measuring the top of front a/c which is the highest point on anyone's rig. When raising the rear they also adjust the jacks accordingly, if not then your jacks would in some cases just barely touch the ground and make for a very unstable rig. Installing IS you feel like you are getting a custom job from Mor-Ryde. Mor-Ryde is 1st class all the way but anyone who has had them work on there rv knows that already.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #34
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Nat_Park - thanks for all the good information on the Morryde upgrade. It’s on our list for someday...just gotta keep watering the money tree.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #35
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
When Mor-Ryde installs spacers it is for leveling purposes only. Mine had 3'' spacers. This only raised the rear of the rv. I was 13'5'' before and 13' 5'' after measuring the top of front a/c which is the highest point on anyone's rig. When raising the rear they also adjust the jacks accordingly, if not then your jacks would in some cases just barely touch the ground and make for a very unstable rig. Installing IS you feel like you are getting a custom job from Mor-Ryde. Mor-Ryde is 1st class all the way but anyone who has had them work on there rv knows that already.
Makes sense - like I said, I'm not a mechanically oriented person but I can small things. I'm a computer guy for 30 years Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #36
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Nat_Park - thanks for all the good information on the Morryde upgrade. It’s on our list for someday...just gotta keep watering the money tree.
You're quote welcome - happy to share my experience and it was definitely a great one!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #37
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
We're having the IS done in April. Can't decide on the 7k or 8k. Our new 3813MS has 16800 GVWR. Brian told us the 8k will be stiffer but still better than factory the 7k will be softer given our GVWR if we load out to max (which we will be near by my estimate). Other question that we are trying to figure out is the legacy pkg comes with dexter disc brakes. Brian says they'll work with the 7k IS but not the 8k IS. we'll opt for the timken bearings too.

ON the wheels &tires that came with the monty, anybody know what the tire pressure specs are... our rig is stored indoors for the winter and currently inaccessible so that info would be helpful to decide on an upgrade there as well.

We have a 2017 Ram with tow pkg including rear air suspension, B&W companion and the factory Lippert Rotaflex pinbox which all rode smoothly from the dealer to our house. Not sure about a pinbox upgrade at this time.

Any recommendations?

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #38
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
We're having the IS done in April. Can't decide on the 7k or 8k. Our new 3813MS has 16800 GVWR. Brian told us the 8k will be stiffer but still better than factory the 7k will be softer given our GVWR if we load out to max (which we will be near by my estimate). Other question that we are trying to figure out is the legacy pkg comes with dexter disc brakes. Brian says they'll work with the 7k IS but not the 8k IS. we'll opt for the timken bearings too.

ON the wheels &tires that came with the monty, anybody know what the tire pressure specs are... our rig is stored indoors for the winter and currently inaccessible so that info would be helpful to decide on an upgrade there as well.

We have a 2017 Ram with tow pkg including rear air suspension, B&W companion and the factory Lippert Rotaflex pinbox which all rode smoothly from the dealer to our house. Not sure about a pinbox upgrade at this time.

Any recommendations?
I would go with what Brian recommends, that's what we did. Our Montana is 17600 and he said the same, we'd get a better ride with the 7k than the 8k so that's what we did.

If you got the Sailuns from the factory ours were 110psi cold. The 17.5" Goodyear's we got through MORRyde are 125psi cold and Sergio told us to run them at 115-120 psi.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #39
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
just to be sure, I know the Sailuns have a cold pressure rating of 110 PSI, but I have heard that the wheels that Keystone puts on are not rated that high so they aren't inflated to the full 110lbs... again this is what I have heard... anybody confirm that?

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #40
Nat_Park_Travelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21914
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
just to be sure, I know the Sailuns have a cold pressure rating of 110 PSI, but I have heard that the wheels that Keystone puts on are not rated that high so they aren't inflated to the full 110lbs... again this is what I have heard... anybody confirm that?
I can't confirm other than I was running mine at 105-110 for the past year with no issues.

Tags
independent suspension, morryde, pin box, upgrades