Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I need to quit reading threads containing the words "Disk Brakes", " *K Axles", and IS Suspension". At least until I find the money for the upgrade.
My thoughts exactly. I had Joy talked into the $10,000 upgrade ($6550 + $$ to drive 2500 miles). Then she found out she has stage 4 Melanoma. Well now she is cured (Immunotherapy). Now she is getting squeamish on spending that kind of $$$. Since we are only putting ~2000 miles/yr on the 5r, I'm willing to wait. From the things I've read on this forum, I can do the disk brakes and X-factor myself at home.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:40 PM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Any competent shop that works on cars/trucks and has the room for a large fifth wheel should be able to do the job.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #23
ntxnewbies

M.O.C. #18036
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Any competent shop that works on cars/trucks and has the room for a large fifth wheel should be able to do the job.

I would suggest that any axle swap or upgrades be completed by a qualified trailer shop and not any car/truck shop. Trailer shops have the necessary equipment to install AND align as necessary for a proper installation..just my educated opinion.
ntxnewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the IS on our 2006 3400 and it did increase the value of the Rv at trade.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
ntxnewbier, we are talking about 2 very different things here. Any competent shop should be able to install the disc brakes ( I could have and would have if they were not already installed on my unit).

Aligning of the axles is a whole other story. I had my trailers axles aligned at a large semi/dump truck shop in PA. They had the correct equipment to bend the axle tubes to have them track straight and true to the campers frame. Probably towed at least 10k since then, and no tire wear what so ever.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #26
Beer on Ice

M.O.C. #22966
RoadMaster Comfort Ride Slipper System

Has anyone installed the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Slipper Spring System on their tandem axle 5th wheel trailer. The complete system includes 4-nitrogen filled shocks.
Beer on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #27
Fremont
Established Member

M.O.C. #11808
We had the IS installed Oct 30, 2018 at Mor/ryde in Elkhart, IN. We chose the 8k suspension with disc brakes. $6,870.75 including tax.
Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That's a tough nut to chew, but it will be well worth it in the long run. No more worries of greased up brakes of broken springs Etc.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #29
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
My Montana HC is scheduled for 11/26 & 27.
What model do you have?
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #30
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I believe Mor-Ryde gives a 10% discount if installed from Nov.-March.If that's the case then it would be about 6,000 dollars for I.S. and disc. I got the discount in March of 2016.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #31
Fremont
Established Member

M.O.C. #11808
We broke both left side springs at different times in the spring.
Fremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #32
z71Silverado

M.O.C. #22330
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
How is the MOR/ryde Independent Suspension different from the system that comes on the Montana3791RD? Same question for the disk brakes?
Why upgrade?It seems that folks here on the forum are constantly in upgrade mode. Isn't anything on these rigs worth what we pay for them new?

In my case, I plan to fulltime in my rig. This type of suspension will prolong the life of the rig [Due to less vibration]as well as be so much safer with Disc brakes. I cannot afford a DRV Rig which comes with IS /Disc brakes standard.
So if I put IS/DB on a cheaper Rig for 6K , then I have made my investment in a full time rig much safer and smoother without spending 142K[just an example price]
z71Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Absolutely, that's my plan. ( I'm not buying a 150k 5er either) I already have the disc brakes and plan to get the IS installed in the future. I'm hoping they start doing them in the mid Atlantic area some day.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Mor-Ryde in Elkhart is the only one that installs I.S. You could call and they will tell you how much turn key . I suspect it would be about 3500.00 turn key. There 10% discount I believe starts in November. Not everyone needs the 8k suspension. I have the 7k on mine as that was what was recommended by Mor-Ryde after weighing each wheel. Having the heavier suspension might sound great but it does give a firmer ride and that is not what I wanted if not needed. My RV was 2 years old when installed and with such an expensive mod I didn't want the rv to be to old to enjoy the brakes and suspension. As for as comments on this forum about not getting your money back on the brakes and I.S., when selling or trading, I would think if selling it would be a whole lot easier to sell with these mods compared to someone without them and still enjoy the safety aspects while having ownership of your rv. It's easier to be convinced or should I say convince the wife after having a spring shackle failure to install I.S.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I don't think you will get your $ back if trading in since most dealers will only give you whole sale ##s. If selling out right the buyer would have to know the benefits and costs of the upgrades. I think most people would not know that any upgrades even exist, let alone be willing to pay a lot extra for a unit that had them.

Perfect example is the unit I bought used from a dealer (2011 3455sa). The previous owners had disc brakes and level up installed at a cost of around 8k (I have the receipts) . The sale price did not reflect the fact that the unit even had them and there was no mention of them in the add a found. The unit also had a PD hard wired EMS and all LED lights and G614 tires.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #36
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Couple of notes: There are Installers in Grants Pass, OR and Colton, CA doing IS, as for MORryde weighing each, last I heard which was in July, something happened to their scale system and they weren't planning on repairing/replacing it, this is in Elkhart.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #37
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
When I made my appointment last week they had intentions on repairing the scale but did not know when exactly that would happen.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 AM   #38
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I don't think you will get your $ back if trading in since most dealers will only give you whole sale ##s. If selling out right the buyer would have to know the benefits and costs of the upgrades. I think most people would not know that any upgrades even exist, let alone be willing to pay a lot extra for a unit that had them.

Perfect example is the unit I bought used from a dealer (2011 3455sa). The previous owners had disc brakes and level up installed at a cost of around 8k (I have the receipts) . The sale price did not reflect the fact that the unit even had them and there was no mention of them in the add a found. The unit also had a PD hard wired EMS and all LED lights and G614 tires.
I agree you might not get more for your rv if selling out right but there are a few out there that know the benefits of I.S. and especially disc brakes.If I were buying used and saw 2 of pretty equal condition yet one had I.S. and disc and the other didn't then I would certainly lean toward the one with the improvements over the one without. I never give it a thought when adding improvements { and I've added many } as to whether I will get my money back on account my improvements are for my wife and I safety and convenience. If I get any extra when selling then it will be a bonus but I don't count on bonuses. As for trading in, this will probably be our last rv so we will probably just sell when we are through traveling which will probably be in 8 or 10 years if our health holds out.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #39
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
Do you have a phone number for Colton shop?
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
The stock Montana has a price point and in order to meet that price point Keystone has selected standard equipment that meets their minimum/moderate standards. They offer OEM upgrades but as expected they may put the 5er in a different pricing category. As stated earlier the standard equipment will probably work just fine for most folks. If you are FT you may want more piece of mind and spring for some of those upgrades. Disk brakes is such a no brainer that I believe Keystone has added them to 20th anniversary Legacy package. IS may not sell enough to warrant Keystone offering in the build but for some it has been a well worth addition. We will be going that route and I will take advantage of timing, specials and any other opportunity to purchase at the most advantageous price point for me.

At the Montana's price point I don't think there is a brand that doesn't face the same problem. Jayco, Heartland, GD, etc all have the same challenge to maximize features while keeping the sweet price point. Of cource there is the alternative to move up in price but if you are looking at a 159k 5er I don't think you wind up picking a Montana. That is not a statement on quality comparison but rather an observation based upon price point alone.

I for one don't worry about keeping up with the Jones. If the upgrade is something that makes sense to me and I have a need for it then I am in.
Unfortunately there is zero incentive for dealers to discuss upgrades with a buyer. In fact, salesmen do everything they can to sell you a trailer as is. Last thing they want to do is delay you signing the bottom line and pulling the rig off their lot!

I wish I had discovered MOC before our purchase. There are some many things I would have done differently! First thing I now advise folks who are liking is to join a club for brand they want and do their RESEARCH!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote