Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
MOR/ryde Independent Suspension

How is the MOR/ryde Independent Suspension different from the system that comes on the Montana3791RD? Same question for the disk brakes?
Why upgrade?It seems that folks here on the forum are constantly in upgrade mode. Isn't anything on these rigs worth what we pay for them new?

awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
How is the MOR/ryde Independent Suspension different from the system that comes on the Montana3791RD? Same question for the disk brakes?
Why upgrade?It seems that folks here on the forum are constantly in upgrade mode. Isn't anything on these rigs worth what we pay for them new?
Our 2018 3791rd did not come standard with the independent suspension or the disk brakes. That is why we had the disk brakes put on.
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
I guess it depends on whether you are going to full time in your rig. If so, this is your home... the IS will be a dramatic improvement in the ride. As for the disc brakes, stopping performance is far superior with disc brakes. Having said that, if you do not plan on living in the trailer or you only move is once every six months, it is harder to justify the cost of the upgrade. Your situation dictates whether it is a worthwhile upgrade.

What comes with your trailer is rigid axles on leaf springs with drum brakes. The Mor/ryde IS is each wheel independently sprung on coils and if you want... disc brakes. Many people also upgrade from 7000 to 8000 lb suspension or from 6000 to 7000 lb suspension... a choice. There is case for it and against it. FOR it... Full timers tend to overload their trailers, the extra suspension capacity can handle the extra weight, Against it... added expense.

My study of run of the mill 5ers is the shorter the rig for a given frame strength, the less of the need to upgrade axle capacity, the longer the trailer the greater the need...but that is for those that full time in their rigs. Weekend warriors typically do not load everything and the kitchen sink into their rigs. If you boondock and Full time, you may also consider solar as a viable option... that will add from 500-1000 lbs to your load out depending on the size of your solar set up. Will one's suspension handle it? Upgrading is a serious consideration.

We will be moving in our "home on wheels" fairly frequently so ride improvement and stopping performance are must haves for us. We will also be adding a fairly large solar set up so the upgrade suspension capacity is really important too. Everybody is different. YMMV as they say.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
We are full-time and have been since March 2017.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Don,

The stock suspension and brakes will give you good service on your rig as long as they are well maintained. This includes greasing your fitting and regular checks of your brakes and bearings.

The IS suspension will give a little smoother ride, have more travel and will do away with the occasionally seen shackle issues. Disk brakes will give you more stopping power and get rid of the electrical connection for the brakes and the ability to get grease on the brakes which occasionally cause you problems. Of course either system brings new things that could fail.

Most people run stock but do as you choose. Either way can serve you well.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just a correction, the is doesn't use coils, they use what is called Rubber Sheer Springs, a section of Rubber molded between two steel plates. The design is pretty much the same as the MORryde Pin Box in function. The system also gives you a Shock at each wheel.
The IS install is a two day process, but they give you a key to the shop so you can still sleep in your unit while in the shop.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
quite correct, i misspoke... not coils, apologies for my slip.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We full time and were tired of our stuff getting tossed around and panic stops being just that. On our first Monty I got Joyce to agree to put them both on, but she thought as you do that I was just wanting the best toys. We left Morryde and didn't get 2 miles before a lady in a little red car pulled out in front of us and froze. We were both sure we were going right thru her and we stopped a few feet short. Joyce turned to me and said OK it was worth the money. We also occasionally left stuff out when we moved and it was still in the general area when we got there. With the new rig it was Joyce who said we're getting IS and disk brakes and we got the 8K models (weren't available when we bought the first ones. Drove from Kansas to New Mexico and never saw the trailer braking using more than 1/2 capacity (truck shows it on the dash) so the new larger disk brakes are even better than before.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Upgrades are fun, no doubt. I like the thought of replacement parts being everywhere for the standard Dexter axles and brakes and at a reasonable price. I can't speak to your dually but I have the same truck in SRW. Rams are notorious for having low braking performance. I installed EBC brakes and rotors which stops the rig loaded and especially unloaded effectively for $1100.00. Significantly less than other options. Its only money but I do want bang for the buck.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Disc brakes are the #1 safety item on rv's. I and others have said the same thing, You can stop truck and rv quicker together than truck by it self.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:42 AM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I need to quit reading threads containing the words "Disk Brakes", " *K Axles", and IS Suspension". At least until I find the money for the upgrade.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers and travel several thousand miles a year. IS , disc brakes, quality tires. Tire monitor system, rear view camera are must for us. We all use these things differently and must adjust accordingly.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
I need to quit reading threads containing the words "Disk Brakes", " *K Axles", and IS Suspension". At least until I find the money for the upgrade.
Same here, jeffba! When one lives on a limited income one can only do what one can do. Will upgrade when possible. Until then, we keep the maintenance up. I'm a stickler for maintenance anyway. Just had the wheels done and brakes checked. I keep everything lubed, greased, cleaned, as well as the maintenance on the TV. We have changed out the tires, have the TPMS, 306 degree cameras. I have even changed out all of the screws on the body of the 5'er, distributed the cargo weight accordingly, and never drive over 65mph - normally 55-60mph.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #14
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
The stock Montana has a price point and in order to meet that price point Keystone has selected standard equipment that meets their minimum/moderate standards. They offer OEM upgrades but as expected they may put the 5er in a different pricing category. As stated earlier the standard equipment will probably work just fine for most folks. If you are FT you may want more piece of mind and spring for some of those upgrades. Disk brakes is such a no brainer that I believe Keystone has added them to 20th anniversary Legacy package. IS may not sell enough to warrant Keystone offering in the build but for some it has been a well worth addition. We will be going that route and I will take advantage of timing, specials and any other opportunity to purchase at the most advantageous price point for me.

At the Montana's price point I don't think there is a brand that doesn't face the same problem. Jayco, Heartland, GD, etc all have the same challenge to maximize features while keeping the sweet price point. Of cource there is the alternative to move up in price but if you are looking at a 159k 5er I don't think you wind up picking a Montana. That is not a statement on quality comparison but rather an observation based upon price point alone.

I for one don't worry about keeping up with the Jones. If the upgrade is something that makes sense to me and I have a need for it then I am in.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #15
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
One doesn't need to go to Mor-ryde to get disc brakes like have to for I.S. Many of our Montana owners live in the south and can go to Zanetti's in Weatherford Tx. just west of Ft. Worth for disc brakes or do it yourself. They are a little cheaper than Mor-Ryde and have been featured in Trailer Life magazine. I've made a lot of improvements to my rv for safety and my and my wife's own personal touch that i couldn't afford to buy every 2 or 3 years. I'm just now beginning to enjoy the fruits of my labor on improvements that i would like to keep this rv for 10 years or more. Keeping up with the Jones will keep you broke.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I never realized how much better disc brake were until I installed them. We have had some sort of RV since the mid '70s and every one of them has had virtually the same 10 or 12x2 magnet electric brakes and every bew trailer got longer and heavier. With these size increases, those 'magnet' brakes have been less effective in stopping our TT or 5er from normal road speeds (50-65 mph) with the current 5er feeling like they were almost useless without setting the dash controller at the highest setting. Now, with the disc brake mod, that dash control is at the mid point. I have proven to myself that these are the best single mod done to any of our towed RVs by having a really close encounter in heavy traffic where the big 5er in front of us made a quick trip along a guard rail but I was able to stop.

As far as an IS suspension - while I can't justify it for our use, just recall that this solid axle design is the same kind of front suspension that many cars used through the '40s and rear - look at your TV rear suspension. Not very sophisticated but cheap and and an OK job though not great. If one wheel goes up, it tilts one way while the other side tilts the opposite way. Not a good ride. IS - is just that. Each wheel moves pn its own.

Costs - a DIY brakes modwill run +/-1500 bucks. IS - a bunch more but not a DIY project for most.

Hope we have helped. As others have said, mods on an RV are mostly fun but disc brakes will improve your safety factor
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #17
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Yes, I agree the brakes make sense. Before I go with the IS upgrade
I would just trade. We could have purchased any brand, regardless of cost, but wanted the 5th wheel and the Montana. Now, we will rethink brand on any future trade. One must take into consideration if the upgrade actually adds value in a trade-in.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #18
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Gor those who trade a lot, IS is not the thing. Since so few have it the value isn't realized. For those, like us, who this is their house and put 15,000 miles a year on it a year and don't plan to trade, it's well worth the money.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #19
z71Silverado

M.O.C. #22330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Gor those who trade a lot, IS is not the thing. Since so few have it the value isn't realized. For those, like us, who this is their house and put 15,000 miles a year on it a year and don't plan to trade, it's well worth the money.
Bravo! WEll said. Another consideration would be the MUCH smoother ride, thus prolonging the life of the rig, less vibration etc.
I spoke with a gentleman that put IS on his rig and stated that they forgot to put a plate or glass ,cannot remember, in the cabinet before hitting the road. Well you can bet with leaf spring suspension it would be on the floor.
He commented that the item was still on the counter top they left it on.
AMAZING!
Safety is the biggest reason for the Disc brakes!
z71Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #20
chip27432

M.O.C. #20218
Who does this type of work if you’re not a do-it-yourselfer
chip27432 is offline   Reply With Quote