Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #21
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
This is the first time for sending pics if this works i will take more. this picture was for insurance purposes and its the slide topper over the bedroom. Look at the Nufinish shine. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0306181738a_Film1[1].jpg
Views:	85
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1773  

2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #22
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
You'll learn to love them when you have a torrential down pour. Stops leaks from on top your Slides. Slides are hard to keep water tight no matter how hard you try. Lube seals and all that, but water still finds a way in. Slides toppers keep your slides leak free. Even when your storing it with slides in they protect from water running down and finding it's way into your camper. The once in a lifetime event where you encountered gale forced wins are nothing compared to mold and mildew from a leak.
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #23
perfect5th
Established Member

M.O.C. #13340
Send a message via Yahoo to perfect5th
Water collection on slide toppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
We prefer to have toppers and always have had on our fivers. Added protection for the slide seals at a likely leakage opportunity along the top of the slide. We have been doing RV travel for many years, across the country. One time in Kansas, we did close up the slides as the entire rig was shaking. Otherwise, we get flapping and bouncing once in a while in a good wind, but no big deal. Only downside for us, they only last a few years before replacement is necessary, and on a long slideout, there is a tendency for water to collect in the center.
Water and snow will have a tendency to collect in the center of the slide toppers especially when installed with the improper amount of slope from the coach out word over the side of the slide out.
We experienced this several times by incompetent installers and dealerships, finally decided to do it ourselves rather than deal with poor workmanship.
perfect5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #24
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I have not been able to find a topper that will work on my kitchen slide which has an awning. I saw a photo of a unit that had them from the factory, but it looks like the factory mounted the awning lower than mine to leave room for the slide topper bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide with awning 2 with measurements.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1808  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #25
perfect5th
Established Member

M.O.C. #13340
Yep, certainly a concern. There does look to be enough headroom to mount a slide topper with proper slope. I would be specific about how and where you want it once you find a fabricator. Proper slope is crucial for proper return tension and adequate spring load of the awning.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #26
BrianA
Established Member

M.O.C. #10381
Our 2010 3665RE has toppers all along, and I wouldn't be without them. Ours is in a seasonal site for 6 months straight, and the only time the slides go in is if/when we have to move. Made the mistake of leaving the awning out on a windy day and had to replace it, but never a slide topper. Yep, they flap with strong winds, and we've had some winds that moved trailers and bent jacks, but never had a problem with them. I do wish there was some kind of inflatable device to keep the rain from accumulating on the big slide, but the wind usually removes the water after a while.
BrianA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #27
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect5th View Post
Yep, certainly a concern. There does look to be enough headroom to mount a slide topper with proper slope. I would be specific about how and where you want it once you find a fabricator. Proper slope is crucial for proper return tension and adequate spring load of the awning.
I compared mine with a photo of a 2018 3120RL (this new version of the 3160RL) with factory installed toppers. On the other unit, the awning is down from the top of the slide (inside edge of flange) about 3"; leaving enough space for the topper brackets.

On mine, the awning is almost flush with the top of the slide; no room for slide topper brackets. The awning could not have been put any lower because of the refrigerator vent.

Mine is a 2017 3160RL, the 2018 version is the 3120RL. One of the changes between the two rigs is they swapped the kitchen and dining slides. That puts the refrigerator on the opposite side and the second awning on the dining room slide where it can be mounted low enough for the topper brackets.

At this point, I don't see any way (the dealer could not either) to mount a slide topper on the kitchen slide without moving the awning (not going to happen) or finding a different style topper bracket. I talked with Carefree of Colorado and they do not have anything that will work.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #28
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
We have been in some pretty strong winds, straight line winds coming across the lake at 70 mph were the strongest. We have five slides with toppers and did not pull them in with no damage. There were huge trees down all throughout the property.
in a gentle breeze a blade of grass bends.
a tree moves around.
in hurricane force winds a blade of grass bends.
a tree breaks.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #29
dennis hogan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17659
We don't have slide toppers but there is pro's and con's with everything. Ours has 4 slides and it would be nice to not have to clean them off when camping under trees.
As far as the flapping in high winds I have heard of people using beach balls and just inflating enough to fit under the topper to eliminate the flapping noise.
Just a suggestion.
Would like to hear if it actually works.
Cannon Ball Express Train air Horn 185dB
dennis hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #30
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
Have a friend that has those for his slide toppers. He swears by the partially inflated beach ball. Especially on the longer run slide toppers. He places them in the middle for better drainage on top.
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #31
perfect5th
Established Member

M.O.C. #13340
Unfortunately it does sounds there are no (or very few) other options unless you can find a fabrication shop to custom make a “cam-over” bracket to accommodate an awning on that side which won’t be troublesome?
“It can be done if you can find the right person with some patience and know how.”
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #32
GoodTimes
Established Member

M.O.C. #20181
Where was this park? It looks very nice. I’m glad you had no damage!
Living & Loving the Adventures ❤️
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #33
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
Following a read through all of the posts, I’m glad I have not installed the toppers and will not on this new unit. I can see the need occasionally to clean off the top of the slides before retracting but this is a good practise with or without toppers.

Thanks all for the insights!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #34
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA View Post
Our 2010 3665RE has toppers all along, and I wouldn't be without them. Ours is in a seasonal site for 6 months straight, and the only time the slides go in is if/when we have to move. Made the mistake of leaving the awning out on a windy day and had to replace it, but never a slide topper. Yep, they flap with strong winds, and we've had some winds that moved trailers and bent jacks, but never had a problem with them. I do wish there was some kind of inflatable device to keep the rain from accumulating on the big slide, but the wind usually removes the water after a while.
partely inflated beach ball.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #35
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Always have had slide toppers, and always will. No bad experiences, I like the idea of keeping water off the top of the slide, you never know where it wants to go. Whats a little flapping in the wind?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did the beach ball thing in Arizona wind came up and the beach ball shot out of the awning never to be seen again. We have never had a slide topper problem.Never had to replace one , never wore one out. We have over 100K miles on two Montana's.They will flap in a wind but it takes a pretty good wind for that to happen.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #37
solidhank
Established Member

M.O.C. #22103
We had toppers on our 3 slide TT for 6 yrs. and never touched them except for the beach ball insertion thing. Debating installation on our new to us HC353. Black would look best but concerns over heat absorbing in Texas sun this winter getting into slide rooms. Pros and cons to everything I guess, paralysis by analysis. Keep telling DW pick one and let's get going! LOL
solidhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
2 years ago we purchased our 2002 3480RL. Had slide toppers from new. Last spring we did a coast to coast trip. Very strong winds in Indiana had the whole rig shaking and slide toppers were really flapping. The topper on the mail slide finally tore off where it was attached to the rig. Lasted 15 years. Had to wrap wire to keep damaged topper secure for duration of trip. Ordered a replacement topper that was heat welded instead of stitched (where it tore). Easy to install (with 2 people). Wouldn't be without them.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #39
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Started by adding them to a TT we owned some time back and have always had them since. Our new/used Monty came with them, but instead of just replacing the canvas, I decided to replace everything this year (had A&E, going with Carefree - the hardware looks better!). I believe the canvas used for awnings and toppers is not the greatest, although ours lasted seven years before really getting ratty looking. Not much one can do about that, although there are at least two replacement canvas places that sell heavier stuff that's not supposed to flap as much in the wind. As far as that's concerned, there was only one time when the flapping got really objectionable (in over 35k miles of traveling) - Flagstaff in the fall and 30 mph wind gusts.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #40
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
Have always had them on my trailers and don’t see being without them. Have always ordered the trailer with them from the factory. Have never had any issues (knock on wood). Last camper and the new Monty live on our seasonal site from April to mid November with slides out the whole time. We’ve never brought the slides in for any of the fierce midwest storms. The Monty and the last fiver are pretty tall, and even with their roof construction being better than a lot of SOBs, I don’t see a need to give the roof any extra travel of my 280 lbs.
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote