Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #21
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Badram, You did the right thing. Everything in life does not need to pay off in $$. If that were the case, we would never drive off the lot pulling a new Monty? ;-) It is the relaxed piece of mind when traveling, that has a great value to it, compared to how i have been keeping the display on distance till empty, and watching it change on every up hill section of the highway, and then again on the down hill side, and wondering if I will make it to my next stop or not? :-) My tank and extra shield and installation by a Custom Truck place is going to be $2,600 That would take about 10,000 gallons or about 100,000 miles of saving $.25 cents per gallon, to just break even!! I'm not going to think about that.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #22
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
Badram, You did the right thing. Everything in life does not need to pay off in $$. If that were the case, we would never drive off the lot pulling a new Monty? ;-) It is the relaxed piece of mind when traveling, that has a great value to it, compared to how i have been keeping the display on distance till empty, and watching it change on every up hill section of the highway, and then again on the down hill side, and wondering if I will make it to my next stop or not? :-) My tank and extra shield and installation by a Custom Truck place is going to be $2,600 That would take about 10,000 gallons or about 100,000 miles of saving $.25 cents per gallon, to just break even!! I'm not going to think about that.

It certainly gives you peace of mind. I had ours put in while we were in Florida this past winter. It holds approx. 48 gal + the 36 in the truck. We hit heavy winds coming thru Illinois I used up the 48 and was 1/4 down on the truck tank when we stopped for the night. We headed into town after we unhooked and I saved 32 cents per gal instead of filling up on the interstate. Best part was time saved not having to fill up at least 2 to 3 times. Although we are retired there is no sense spending a extra hour on the road to go the same distance. BTW I paid $800 installed for mine.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #23
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I know the metal in bed tanks are a lot cheaper and easier to install. I just did not want to lose my 8 foot bed for hauling things when i am not pulling the RV.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #24
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I would love to add one of those extra fuel tanks to my truck but I have found that I usually have to go by the capacity of my bladder first and it get less MPG then my truck does!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #25
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We considered a add on tank then realized we stopped every 3 hours or so and could fuel then. We have not had a problem finding diesel all over the country since 2006.They are also expensive and the cost vs benefits issue does not play out for us. Great idea if it meets your travel style. Having a 800 or 1000 mile range is not important to us.We are also not in any hurry.
I'm with Rich.
My stock fuel tank holds 37.5 gallons. That gives me a towing range of about 375 miles. At the speed I drive, 58 mph while towing, that's almost 6 and 1/2 hours of non stop driving. My bladder can't go much more that 3 hours while driving. It's nice to stop every few hours. Stretch, walk around, find the bathroom and have yet to have any problems finding diesel. JMHO

I hear that PackerFan

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #26
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
The capacity of the bladder has no effect on fuel as you are never more than 15 feet from a toilet.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
The capacity of the bladder has no effect on fuel as you are never more than 15 feet from a toilet.

I have used the Off ramp/ On ramp and church parking lots plenty of times. Lots of room to turn around in them LOL
Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #28
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I'll drink to that also. Oops that coffee is the worst culprit in driving for me. I like the 2 hour drive and stop plan and hopefully I can skip the 4th quarter of an 8 hour day.
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We all have our travel style and are driven by our needs. Only on our winter trips back and forth from Florida do we have designated stopovers at campgrounds and they are less than 300 miles apart. I guess we are in super retirement mode as we have little concern about how long it takes us to get anywhere when we are on a road trip or how far we travel in a day. We have way too much time on our hands.

The extra tanks are a great idea that we did consider early on.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #30
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I know this may open a can of worms but here goes.
It is obvious, from reading different posts in the MOC forums, that a lot of folks don't mind their tow vehicle being overloaded. "It's only over a couple hundred pounds" plus other such statements. Adding those aux fuel tanks adds weight, plus the extra fuel adds weight. Diesel weighs 6.8 lbs per gallon. Adding a 50 gallon aux tank adds 340 lbs in diesel plus the weight of the tank and transfer hardware. Switching from a 32 gallon to a 55 gallon OEM replacement tank adds 156 lbs plus the weight of the tank. It even appears that one person here has added an extra 71 gallon capacity. That's over 480 lbs added to the truck. I am neither condemning or condoning any choice anyone makes about added fuel capacity. All I am saying is think of the extra weight. JMHO

Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #31
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We all have our travel style and are driven by our needs. Only on our winter trips back and forth from Florida do we have designated stopovers at campgrounds and they are less than 300 miles apart. I guess we are in super retirement mode as we have little concern about how long it takes us to get anywhere when we are on a road trip or how far we travel in a day. We have way too much time on our hands.

The extra tanks are a great idea that we did consider early on.
Almost exactly what we do on our way back and forth to Florida. Prior to wintering in Florida we spent 6 yrs in Texas. Going thru Texas on secondary roads was a pain. 4 times I had to back out after fueling. With that being said when DW reaches SS age in 3 years we are planning on our dream trip across to the west coast then work our way back on southern route to Florida. We have been blessed with good health ECT. The one thing of retiring young is that we are lots younger than 95% of the people we winter with. That's when I figure the extra tank will come in handy. TV only has 91000 miles on it and hopefully we will have the same one then.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #32
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
I know this may open a can of worms but here goes.
It is obvious, from reading different posts in the MOC forums, that a lot of folks don't mind their tow vehicle being overloaded. "It's only over a couple hundred pounds" plus other such statements. Adding those aux fuel tanks adds weight, plus the extra fuel adds weight. Diesel weighs 6.8 lbs per gallon. Adding a 50 gallon aux tank adds 340 lbs in diesel plus the weight of the tank and transfer hardware. Switching from a 32 gallon to a 55 gallon OEM replacement tank adds 156 lbs plus the weight of the tank. It even appears that one person here has added an extra 71 gallon capacity. That's over 480 lbs added to the truck. I am neither condemning or condoning any choice anyone makes about added fuel capacity. All I am saying is think of the extra weight. JMHO
I thought of that also. The DW and I don't go over 310 lbs combined. Told her that we had to stay slim LOL
Old 05-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #33
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I have a 2016 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab. Transfer Flow put in a 56 gal. tank in place of the stock 35. No problems years later. Fuel gauge works just fine as long as you are not going up or down a steep hill. But after you get back on the level it works just fine.

The Mega Cab is on a long bed frame.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #34
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kidd View Post
I have a 2016 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab. Transfer Flow put in a 56 gal. tank in place of the stock 35. No problems years later. Fuel gauge works just fine as long as you are not going up or down a steep hill. But after you get back on the level it works just fine.

The Mega Cab is on a long bed frame.
I have a 2006 with the 5.9 Cummins. Very low tech, crank windows no computer ect . Only 91K on it and is used mostly for towing. Family member has a repair shop so I have him go thru the truck every fall. I keep a strict schedule of Oil , Transmission and radiator fluid changes. I plan on keeping it until it dies. Extra tank is in the bed ,piped into the fill neck with a manual shut off valve. Gauge stays on full until aux tank goes dry. Only thing I have to remember is DO not remove fill cap on factory tank or I will get a bath.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #35
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I'm learning on our 3 first trips in an RV and 10,000 miles, and 18 states, and about 40 RV parks, that there a lot of people that are planted with their RV's working in a particular area and then moving on etc. We are on a mission to use our RV, and hit all 50 states and then go back again to things we missed the first time, so we are in total travel mode. We do 250-400 mile legs every 2-3 days. So the extra tank is something I think will come in real handy. Plus our stupid Governor, "Moonbeam", just raised the gas taxes 20 cents, so around where I live in Lake Tahoe, diesel fuel is $3.49/gallon. We paid only $2.19 in New Orleans a few weeks ago! I just re-checked the weight limits on my 2016 RAM 3500 dually, and it has a GVWR of 14,000 pounds, and says not to exceed 5,250 pounds of added weight to the truck. I added the published tongue weight of our Monty 38210FK, and 55 gallon diesel fuel, and new tank, and 5th hitch, and two dogs, and DW and me, and I come up with 4,000 pounds. So it looks like I am ok by 1,250 pounds. BTW, I looked up diesel fuel weights on line, and it looks like it varies between summer and winter blends from 7.0 - 7.3 pounds per gallon.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #36
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
We are on a mission to use our RV, and hit all 50 states and then go back again to things we missed the first time
Good luck with that trans-pacific tunnel to Hawaii.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #37
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
OOPS!! You got me? Just like obama saying he toured all 57 states? I was not thinking!! :-) OK, 48 states, because I am not sure we want to go to Alaska either!! :-)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #38
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Don't count Alaska out of your trip. Everything up there is beautiful and the roads aren't near as bad as you have heard. Use common sense and don't be in a hurry and it can be a great trip.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We tend to stay on interstates where truck stop are handy the only time we are on secondary roads is when we are going to or from an attraction.. When parked at a RV campground in a area we are unhooked and can fuel anywhere that has diesel. We do travel secondary roads but without the Montana in tow. We will be doing the NE States this summer and that will be all the States traveled.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I agree with the bladder thing, but I have that covered. Been traveling with friends that have stock tanks and the are all way having to hunt for fuel at the least convient time. Sure life could be planned better, but mine doesn't work that way.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote