Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Steps

Ok guys I need some help...the steps on my 5ver has been horrible. They have always been weak and wobble when we go up and down them, not very sturdy to say the least. I have had the bolts put in them from the recall and that didn't help. I have asked my extended warranty company (compass rv plan) to replace these steps because they are dangerous, and you guessed it they said "not covered", has anyone been able to get these crappy dangerous steps replaced? I need advice bad, I really don't want my daughter carrying our new granddaughter up and down these dangerous steps.

bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:27 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I just saw yesterday that PPL Motorhomes in their parts division have the LCI aluminum steps on sale. They have the 3-step and 4-step version. If I was having trouble with my steps the 4-step would be what I would order. If I remember correctly the 4-step is on sale for around $250.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #3
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
The MORryde Step Above may be what you need. I know that they are extremely stable since they rest on the ground.

You'll need to look at fitment and some have been concerned that they fold out too far when stopped for fuel or in a rest area. That was not my experience last weekend, although I fuel up at the truck islands and pull forward to go pay. That is the point were we access the interior, so admittedly, there is plenty of room.

No issues carrying a five month old up and down this weekend.

http://www.morryde.com/products/194-the-stepabovetm
Old 03-04-2017, 06:11 AM   #4
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
I have looked at both types of new steps and like both of the brands mentioned, especially the Mor/Ryde. Im really looking for advice if anybody has been able to get them replaced by a warranty company. I purchased an extended warranty when I ordered our current Big Sky, even bought an upgraded package. I have really never had to use it, which is a good thing, but I really was hoping the warranty would help me out here, but as expected these companies like taking our cash but never cover anything
Old 03-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Extended warranty is not going to replace the steps unless they have failed.If you tell them it is a safety issue they will tell you that is the manufacturers problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Thanks for the info my steps did fail they seared the rivots off when I stepped down on them, very lucky I didn't get hurt. They have tried to repair them but they bent so the repair didn't work. Was hoping to save some cash and get the warranty company to come through. I really appreciate all the advice
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
kenandjudy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10640
I had the Moryde steps installed at the fall rally in Goshen, we absolutely love them.
Ken
kenandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We have the Mor-Ryde 4 step on our 2017. They are most certainly a vast improvement over anything that has been factory installed up until now.

Sweeping them off or a bit of drying with an old rag before lifting them up is a SMALL price to pay for the added safety they provide.

Has anyone purchased the add on hand rail. Up till now I have been afraid to ask our local dealer for the price of this add on but.....
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Mark Stueck
Established Member

M.O.C. #18844
Send a message via AIM to Mark Stueck
I bought the http://www.rv-co.com/ and love them. I have the 4 step and a platform as the 5th step. they fold up and store between the hitch and the tailgate while towing. VERY stable and strong. I got them because my dog could not handle the original stairs. The dog loves them, we also find them far superior to original.
Mark Stueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Fitting an older model

Will the MorRyde StepAbove fit into an older model Montana 2005 with the entry way step?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steps.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	135  
Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
kenandjudy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10640
Koerb,
The steps extend 7" into rig from door lip, hope this helps.

Ken
kenandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Koerb-- Give MoRyde a call and see if they will fit your rig. I would think they would BUT I think they are designed for a four step entry and if I'm not mistaken yours is a three step entry with the "suicide step" when entering. They may make one for your rig but the only way to know for sure is to give them a call.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Koerb-- Give MoRyde a call and see if they will fit your rig. I would think they would BUT I think they are designed for a four step entry and if I'm not mistaken yours is a three step entry with the "suicide step" when entering. They may make one for your rig but the only way to know for sure is to give them a call.
There is a 3 step model as well.

Mark
Old 04-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I am thinking the 3 step model will work fine.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #15
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Thank you one and all who replied to my question, what I failed to include in my post was I had already ordered the 3 step model and we're expecting them any day. I actually did a lot of measuring including the height from the entryway to the ground and the width of the door jam prior to ordering them. I completely missed the fact that all the installation videos and the ones on You Tube showed them mounted on flat doorway surfaces... Will be calling MoRyde 1st thing in the morning, hopefully they'll fit. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #16
smitty1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #14652
we put the glow step on and love it ////// no dirt or water gos inside ////////////
smitty1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Hi
Waiting for word if they worked?

we have a 2007 with the death step and want to get a morryde step above as well
Thanks
Mike
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #18
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
All,
Steps arrived and took them out to test fit prior to permanently attaching them. Good news, Bad news.... first the good, there seems to be plenty of space for the steps to fold back into the space created by the stairwell. Bad news was I didn't measure the opening correctly so therefor the locking mechanism did not contact the door jams. Packed up the stairs, took back to Camping World and paid a "Restocking" fee since it's an item they don't stock in house.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #19
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koerb View Post
All,
Steps arrived and took them out to test fit prior to permanently attaching them. Good news, Bad news.... first the good, there seems to be plenty of space for the steps to fold back into the space created by the stairwell. Bad news was I didn't measure the opening correctly so therefor the locking mechanism did not contact the door jams. Packed up the stairs, took back to Camping World and paid a "Restocking" fee since it's an item they don't stock in house.
How much did it lack? I might have made it fit with a little modification? And SHAME ON CAMPING WORLD for dinging you, especially if you ordered the right one. That's BS

Mark
Old 05-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #20
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Thanks Mark,
Believe I need to take a little blame on this one also as I actually was more focused on the "Ground to Threshold" measurement than the width of the door jam. The 3 step model was the only one that met the height requirement but lacked the width even though the locking hardware has approx. 1" adjustment on each side. MorRyde doesn't have a 3 step model with my particular door jam width. I agree with the disappointing policy concerning the re-stocking fee.