Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #41
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Mark N. it appears you have made your decision on which electrical protection model to buy and it certainly has it's advantages such as being able to take it with you if you trade up, unplugging it and going directly into the park pedestal and cost. It also has disadvantages like potential theft, not having the ability to monitor your power usage on each line from within the RV.

Something not mentioned so far is the fact that with the hardwired unit you can turn the "bypass" switch off on the remote monitor, this bypasses the internal circuit boards and "all" protection with the exception of the surge protection ceases. This allows you to still have power to your RV should the control board fail.

At any rate here is a picture of my hard wired unit installed and how and where I mounted the remote display/control. I had plenty of slack cable in the main line to accomplish the install. My only complaint is the room within the box to route wires, a somewhat larger box would make the install even easier.

Thanks Irlpguy! I can't begin to figure out what has to be removed on my 3402RL in order to access the wiring. Inside the main big belly compartment, there is a black fabric covered rear wall that I assume covers up all the wiring and a bunch of plumbing. I suppose I could remove this wall and see what's behind it. If I could access the wiring easily, and assuming there is adequate slack in the wiring, and, assuming I don't have to be contorted like a pretzel for 2 hours (I'm getting way to old for that nonsense.) I might consider the hardwired version. I just really hate to have to bury something that I might need to access again someday, and as far as I can tell, the wiring is very, very buried now.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 AM   #42
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Keep in mind that if the coil to the contactor burns out, or goes bad, it will not bay-pass and you will have no power. The coil pulls the contactor contacts in, allowing current to flow through the device.
I had a coil burn out on my transfer switch, it would not work after that until I replaced the coil.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:37 AM   #43
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Some protection is better than no protection. The OP is on the right track.
I agree with Bingo, I will not leave my rig unprotected at any time. Too much at risk.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #44
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input! I am thrilled to have such great help and input available from such awesome and ready to help folks.
After reading all the posts here, and reading other reviews from other sources on this product (and the company) it became clear the unit(s) suffer from a fair number of premature failures. But, being as the company stands behind them in such a stellar manner, I was not afraid to order one anyway.
However, it became very clear that installation in my Montana was not going to be a quick and painless endeavor. I can't even see the wires to even begin to tap into them. The thought of removing partitions to access them, then the very real threat of having to repeat the process, if and when a problem develops, was just a bit too daunting. I would have liked the remote readout, but in the end, it really served no purpose that was critical to me. The error codes are still available to me, and the amperage usage, as reported by the remote is just info. Not really necessary info. either. Once I install my solar array, I will have all the same usage info. available from that system.
I feel I can effectively mitigate the theft risks, unless someone actually was to cut my umbilical in half to beat a serious lock, but that's why I have insurance.
Anyway, I decided on the pedestal mount, and I got it from Tweety's, as it turned out to be the best price I found, short of buying a used one.
Thanks again. Mine should be here in a couple of days.
Now on to the next upgrade decision: Another powered fan in the bedroom area!
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #45
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for letting us know Mark, glad you are comfy with the choice, you will be better served considering your wants.
I installed a ceiling fan in my bedroom, we have one in our Casa, it lulls us to sleep. So far, I haven't hit my noggin with it. I just got the smallest one I could fine and installed it.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #46
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Thanks for letting us know Mark, glad you are comfy with the choice, you will be better served considering your wants.
I installed a ceiling fan in my bedroom, we have one in our Casa, it lulls us to sleep. So far, I haven't hit my noggin with it. I just got the smallest one I could fine and installed it.
Hey Ozz, I should've clarified, I'm talking about a powered vent fan like a FantasticFan or equivalent. I love the one in my dining area, so I now want one in my bedroom. I am hoping there is an unswitched hot wire close by that vent.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 AM   #47
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Hey Ozz, I should've clarified, I'm talking about a powered vent fan like a FantasticFan or equivalent. I love the one in my dining area, so I now want one in my bedroom. I am hoping there is an unswitched hot wire close by that vent.
Ahh, I understand. Those Fantastic fans are great. You are checking the improvements off.