Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #41
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
The Tractor Supply tank I had was steel the one I had built was aluminum. Big difference in empty tank weight. The good news is with the tank being in front of the rear and behind or directly over it, some of the weight will transfer to the front axle.

I think you will get the most fuel & storage with the wedge tank and separate tool box. Question: Do you need access to the tool box when the trailer is hooked up? Will you be able to access that toolbox with the trailer hooked up and still get the things out that you may need?

With the tailgate removed access to that tool box should be much easier than any toolbox that is mounted behind the cab. With my last bed mounted tool box, what I was looking for always seemed to be in the center of the box and I would have to climb in to the bed in order to retrieve it.

RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #42
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rick,
Your thoughts are exactly the reason I am leaning heavily towards that Brute box and the wedge tank. Wedge tank creates no problems with pinbox and the Brute box is totally accessible when the tailgate is dropped, all of this while the rig is hooked up. I believe the wedge tank will allow me to carry my grill in front of the hitch also, will measure to make sure. With my skinny runt of a body I can actually walk between the dropped tailgate and the front of the rig while hooked up, barely, but I can do it. As I said, I am leaning very heavily towards that combination.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #43
gduff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12954
Use a 52 gal tank with transfer pump here. This give me a 78 gallon capacity which will keep us going all day and then some. It does raise some weight concerns for sure. The empty steel tank really isn't very heavy. I am guessing with the 12v pump the whole thing doesn't hit a 100 pounds, so full of fuel it may add 475 pounds or so. The 26 gallon stock tank in my chev just does not cut it for long trips. I often wonder about the rated capacity of the stock tank as I have never been able to squeeze more than 22 gallons into it even when dead empty with the low fuel light on and the mileage remaining down to 20. (Not a recommended practice I know!) Have it mounted in the center in front and with the slider hitch there are no interference problems. As mentioned it does add the option of shopping around on fuel as well. I also have a diesel tractor so it does serve two purposes.
gduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #44
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gduff

Use a 52 gal tank with transfer pump here. This give me a 78 gallon capacity which will keep us going all day and then some. It does raise some weight concerns for sure. The empty steel tank really isn't very heavy. I am guessing with the 12v pump the whole thing doesn't hit a 100 pounds, so full of fuel it may add 475 pounds or so. The 26 gallon stock tank in my chev just does not cut it for long trips. I often wonder about the rated capacity of the stock tank as I have never been able to squeeze more than 22 gallons into it even when dead empty with the low fuel light on and the mileage remaining down to 20. (Not a recommended practice I know!) Have it mounted in the center in front and with the slider hitch there are no interference problems. As mentioned it does add the option of shopping around on fuel as well. I also have a diesel tractor so it does serve two purposes.

The stated fuel capacity on your factory tank is correct. In the 1990's (or earlier), GM started putting fuel pumps in the tanks of their gas vehicles. After a few years and many customers having their fuel pumps burn out, GM got more conservative on their fuel gages to ensure enough fuel remained in the tank to keep the fuel pump cool. I know, the premise of cooling a fuel pump with gasoline seems, well dangerous at best, but it works. I strongly suspect that while GM uses an external fuel pump for it diesel vehicles, the sending unit and gage operate the same as the gas models do. Hence when your fuel gage reads empty, the light is on and the truck is chiming at you, there are still a few gallons left. Diesels face another issue with low tanks though, and that is sediment build up. It's better to keep a few gallons in there to keep the sediment dispersed than to let it get concentrated and plug your filter or cause damage to the pump.

To prove my point about the stated capacity, I once was caught in Iowa, where fueling stations on the interstate were few and far between with my S-10 work truck. When I finally found an open station, I put 18.5 gallons in a 18 gallon tank. And it wasn't long after that I had to replace the fuel pump.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote