Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Need some advice on extra fuel capacity for TV

I have been pondering the addition of a combination fuel tank/tool box for our long bed Chevy and have a couple questions for the MOCers who have already been down this modification road. First question concerns whether these combos are available with the double wing doors instead of a single cross-truck door that you have to get in the bed to open. I have looked on line extensively and have yet to find one and hope someone can point me in the right direction. The other question deals with the filling process. I seem to remember that there are legality question of having these overflow tanks plumbed into the existing tanks? Is there some sort of switch and pump that can be mounted in the cab or does the fuel have to be manually pumped? Lastly, what kind of wallet impact are we dealing with here? Have to justify the cost for the banker of the family and I can definitely realize savings if I can make purchases out-of-state which are usually about 30 cents a gallon cheaper than the highway robbery we undergo here at home. Any and all options will be considered, other than hauling additional jerry cans in the bed! Thanks in advance for your responses and guidance.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Have you looked at replacement fuel tanks that replace your stock tank?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Titan makes a replacement unit that holds 60 gallons. They also have in bed tanks. https://titanfueltanks.com/
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I'm thinking of the replacement tank.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I had a 60 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank installed last summer and really like it. I have a large tool box in the truck bed that I didn't want to give it up, so went with the replacement tank.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another question I thought of, if one uses a replacement tank or an in-bed auxiliary tank (found some good ones from Delta - but still haven't resolved the toolbox issue). How does the DIC cope with the added fuel capacity? Can it be reprogrammed, or does it become unreliable? I am leaning towards a Delta 60 gallon wedge tank and may have to forgo the toolbox. That would give me 94 gallons on-board or about a 1000 mile range. Looks like this alternative can be had for less than $800. 2600 gallons needed for break even before savings of 30 cents a gallon can be realized. Truck has 40,000 miles on it, 2600 gallons calculates to about 30,000 miles so it looks like it would pay for itself!
Bingo
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I have one of these:
http://www.kshmarine.com/toolbox_tank_combos.htm

They custom make almost anything you want. My Ford had a switch that was plumbed into the fuel lines and a flick of the toggle and the AUX tank took over, gauge and all.

My Dodge has the same tank, but the switch doesnt work on a Dodge, so I plumbed into the filler neck of the main tank and push a button to refill the main from the AUX.

but topping off becomes a guessing game.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am getting closer, here is what I am considering:

Auxiliary Wedge Tank (63 gallons - $650 including shipping):

Fuel Gravity Feed Installation Kit ($80)

and for the Toolbox solution ($405):

or a different style ($505)

I like the toolbox style since it is accessible from the tailgate with the rig hooked up. So it appears for a little over $1200, fuel capacity is increased to almost 100 gallons and a large locking toolbox can be added as well. Now if I can just get the banker (DW) to agree with me! Guess I will have to figure out the DIC later?
Bingo
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
travelinsparky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12412
Look at the transfer flow units http://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tanks/in-bed these are pricey but the are well made and meet the legal requirements I have had a 30gal/tool box for years, moved truck to truck. Mine is a refueler with pump. I use it to transfer fuel to my other equepment and on the road.
travelinsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Bingo; check this place out. It is close to where we live. He does a lot of modifications on trucks and may be able to get just what you want. I would at least call them and ask a few questions.
http://www.cooperstrucks.com/
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I put a Transfer Flow OEM 56 gallon replacement tank on my dually. I wanted enough fuel to go the entire day without refueling.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tom,
Looks like you have the same truck. How did the DIC handle the increased capacity? Curious as to whether it shows increased range based on the additional fuel?
Bingo
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Sent you a PM.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
Bingo, John put one in our truck. I'll let him know about the thread.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
In regards to Bingo's post, if anyone is considering the gravity feed kit, you may be interested in this. I bought the kit for my Super Duty in anticipation of connecting it to a custom made tank by RDS. The kit came from Northern Tool. Upon planning for installation, I found that the check valve is supposed to be mounted at the 12:00 position to work properly. My F-350's fuel fill pipe barely hugs the bottom of the box and there was not enough room to install it. I returned the kit and ordered a 12V transfer pump instead. Now, I will not have to worry about the check valve not operating correctly and having a fuel spill. Possibly there may be more room in GM trucks for the check valve. If I remember correctly, you will need about 1-1/2" from a horizontal run of the fill tube to the bottom of the bed.
I ordered a 12"W X 16"H X 48"L tank from RDS. The reason for these dimensions is I wanted it low enough to fit in the bed under my tonau cover. It will hold 37 gallons. The tank is completed and is now in transit. Should be here in a few days. If anyone is interested, I will post pictures once it is installed.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I had a transfer tank in my Ford. Loved it. It gave me an additional 70 gallons. The extra fuel capacity allows you to shop for fuel instead of buying fuel because you are at the point you have to have it. Especially handy in and around some of the big national parks out west.

I used a transfer pump. We typically stop every few hours so I would transfer fuel when we took breaks and top off the primary tank regardless of fuel level. One of the biggest problems with the combo fuel tanks/tool boxes is you sacrifice fuel capacity or tool box capacity. What you are looking at doing now would be one of the better solutions if you are wanting an external tank. The nice thing about a external tank is it much easier to transfer it to a new truck when the time comes to replace the current truck.

If the DIC is important to you look at a replacement tank for the stock tank. The DIC can be reprogrammed for the new tank size and calculations like distance to empty will work. Using a transfer tank you could program for your total fuel capacity but fuel range and other features would be off. One of the nice things about a replacement tank is a thief is none the wiser that you have additional fuel capacity (unless they see you fill up) and that makes you less of a target for fuel theft.

Whatever you decide you will enjoy the extra capacity, especially if you can save buy purchasing fuel in a less expensive area and have more than enough fuel to get you thru a expensive area. You may shed a tear when you see the total the first time you fill up the new tank but remember in the end you are still going to use the same amount of fuel, you are just going to have to stop less often to fuel up.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Bob,
Installed the transfer kit on my F250 and now the F350 without any problems. Perhaps it worked because 12:00 sometimes could be interpreted to be between 11:30 AND 12:30. Sent you a PM.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Bingo,

I got a RDS (made in USA) combo box from Northern Tool.. $495.00 for combo box and $75 for the gravity feed tee you have pictured. I would also get a new rubber filler neck for your truck, since your truck is an older one. Mine was ten years old, and when it is cold the neck leaks a little. I need to replace mine, but just haven't got around to it. The Aux tank has a shut off value, which I keep off when I am not using it.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Tom,
Looks like you have the same truck. How did the DIC handle the increased capacity? Curious as to whether it shows increased range based on the additional fuel?
Bingo
Here's a quote from their FAQs on the web site:

"How will the larger replacement tank affect the truck’s trip computer?

Most of the functions will still work, except the miles-to-empty feature. It will read as though you have the stock tank still installed.

Will my stock fuel gauge read properly with your replacement tank?

Yes, your stock fuel gauge will read accurately when our larger tank is installed on your vehicle, so when you gauge reads 1/2 tank, you have approximately 1/2 tank of fuel."
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I had a titan replacement tank (50 gallon) installed in my 2011 F250 short bed. Then when I bought my 2012 F350 Long bed I had a Titan 65 gallon installed.

Both times they flashed the computer to reflect the larger fuel tanks and all my DTE calculations read correct. Same for my fuel level etc. All work normally.

Personally - one of the best mods I've made. Me and DW have long range kidneys and with the fuel to match it we can drive all day and still have plenty of fuel left. I wont ever own a truck without one.

Bingo if you go on some of the Chevy diesel forums I'm sure there are threads about the tanks and all the particulars. There was on the Ford Diesel forums.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote