Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
X2 on guys are not supposed to do laundry!

kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Something about the cold water flowing into a hot drum with steam then condensing the water that remains. I am not sure how it works either but will be eagerly watching the first load!

Thanks for the info Pineranch on beefing up the flooring that it is on. We hadn't thought of that! So we will be checking that out tomorrow!

Thanks again to everyone for their input! Keep it coming!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #23
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I used the brackets. Not sure if they were necessary but felt better that I did. Didn't used the drip pan but probably should have. Bought a moisture sensor at Home Depot should it leak. Before I installed it I cut a hole in the closet for access to the back of the machine to get at the vent pipe and water connections on the machine and also for periodic checks for leaks (screwed a larger piece of paneling over it so it looked good). I removed the doors and the bottom rail board and cut the carpeting out so it sat on the wood floor. Worked great until the drum pully fell off and I had to remove it, repair it and reinstall it. All in all the installation wasn't that bad. Good luck, John
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #24
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Carol,
Reading on the Splendide site, the 7100 washer has 2 drums in it, the outer drum fills with cold water and when in dryer mode, the moist air passes through the inner drum and come in contact with the outer cold drum and condenses and runs out into the drain, no moisture will come out of the unit and get into the camper.

There is someone else in the MOC has this 7100, hopefully he will chime in and report what they think of it.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I don't remember the name of the unit I bought for my mother several years ago but it is a true ventless model. After we got it going the first time I thought something was wrong because I could hear water being ran in and then the pump running for a few seconds. Finally I read the instructions and found that it used cold water to remove the warm moist air from the tumbler. Narry a bit of moisture was pumped into the tiny closet I mounted it in for her. Great little unit. I plan on putting it into our Montana now that she has passed and it is just sitting in the basement right now. Never had a leak or any problem with the unit in three years of use.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #26
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks jwedell for the feedback on the brackets. We ordered them. We figured it is cheap peace of mind for $13.75. Cutting a hole in the closet for ease of access is a GREAT idea! Now I will have to figure out the best way to do that and if it would work for us with our model. We have a drawer under the closet where the washer goes. My hubby checked it all out and he thinks it is solid enough to handle the load with the drawer remaining intact which I am happy with because the drawer is where I store my sons (age6) clothing because he can reach it.

Thanks oldelmer_1 for the info. I had looked on their website but kept getting distracted and couldn't find the info I wanted to explain how it works. Thanks for finding it for me. I think it sounds like cool technology. Not thrilled about the extra water use but I am only a weekender and occasional weeks so it should be fine.

WOW Neil_M...I am glad you mentioned about the water running in and being pumped out. I will have to remember that so when I wonder why it is doing that I don't freak out! I guess I will be reading another manual!. I am beginning to feel really edumacated!

Thanks to EVERYONE for their input!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Be sure to get the catch pan too. Some folks have installed a fitting into the side of this catch pan and put a hose on it, then ran the hose outside. That way, if it should leak, the water will run outside and hopefully you will see a wet spot and know something is wrong.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Carol,

Did you get the washer yet?

Do you like it?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Tom the washer/dryer did arrive and it is a beauty! However, we have not had time to install it as husband has been AWOL for work. So it is on the Honey DO list for Monday night. I will keep the group posted. I plan on doing a load as soon as I have a chance to read the manual which I hear on this model is CRUCIAL!

Is there a reason you are asking??? Is DW wanting one??? It is quite compact and it is going to fit perfect in our spot. Although I wouldn't really have cared what color the model was I kind of like the fact that it is silver! It looks nicer than the white! We are going to cut the hole in the side of the cabinet so we have access to the back.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #30
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Carol, yes DW wants to get one. And I just dont like cutting a hole in the side of our camper. I have done lots of searching on the 7100, but there are not many reviews on them. The 2 or 3 that I have found, folks are very happy with it.

Where did you order yours from?

Be sure to get the drain pan too:

http://www.splendide.com/accessories.htm

Old 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Okay Tom I will make sure I post a totally honest review as soon as we have installed ours and I have actually run a load through it. I have heard a couple of things already from others I have chatted with:

1. You cannot do as large a load but that is not a problem for me. You want to give the clothing some room to move around.

2. The washing and drying in one is FANTASTIC (other people's opinion...I will let you know what I think).

3. Some people remove the clothing just before it is completely dry and let it hang outside to finish the drying because of 'less wrinkles'. I don't know how that would help a whole lot so I will test it out.

We ordered ours from Camping World and I got a pretty good deal on it. I used a coupon code (9597 I think...I will check for you when I can) and that gives you an additional 10% off even off of a sales price. There is a freight charge for the shipping $150 but the catalog that came just after I ordered it had the shipping at $75 so I called CW and they honored that. Then before I ordered I logged into Mr. Rebates and then chose Camping World which automatically gives you a 4% rebate once a few weeks has gone by. I can't remember my total cost but when I am NOT riding in a super bouncy truck that is pulling our trailer I will tell you exactly what I paid for it. The dealership wanted almost $1100 more than what I got it for!

Hope that helps! If you wife has specific things she wants me to try (to simulate your situation) let me know because I can do that for her and let her know how it works out!

As for the hole...I am not to keen on cutting anything either but it would NOT be the outside wall. I think I may have miscommunicated where the hole would be so I want to clarify. On our model the washer fits inside the cabinet with two doors. To the left of that is the closet. Another member stated that he cut a hole on the cabinet left side (inside the closet) to give him easy access to the back. He then covered the hole up with some nice wood to blend it in. Does that make more sense?

Let me know if she has any other questions.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #32
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Okay DH just asked me how we winterize the washer/dryer? How do we do that???

With regards to the drain pan (safety measure) do we actually cut a hole to the outside or would we be better to modify it for a hose?

Thoughts anyone??? Why is it every project seems to get more complicated???
Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #33
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Hi Carol
It was more of a job than we thought since all the plumbing was there. Tom & Sharon helped with the install and it took a good 8 hrs. We had trouble with the hoses leaking so unless they changed the hoses I would replace them and save yourself a lot of trouble! Tom will come along and verify that and he found better angled ones than we installed. We did put in the drain pan also and a moisture sensor from lowes ($12.00). All that is listed about the small loads etc is right but once you have it and then camp with no sewer you miss it like crazy. It's pricey but once it is in and bought it is great. Wow, did you get some discounts! You did great!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #34
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
When we helped Bill & Cindy, ^^^^^, they bought the pan, but the drain hole in the pan was out the back. Bill wanted it out the side, so we drilled a new hole in the side, Bill had a PVC fitting to screw into this new hole. Then he ran clear tubing from this fitting down to the outside front landing gear leg. So if it leaked, they would see a puddle on the ground. Jim Fischer had suggested this.

Bill bought the steel braided hoses that came straight out, no angle. As Cindy said, we could not install the original hoses with out any leaks.

Thanks for the info, will have to watch for a sale at CW.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #35
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Great info, as usual. Did you use the Splendide drain pan or just a general one?

I think the angled fittings would be great!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #36
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Carol,
We just installed the drain pan, Splendide, by drilling a small exit hole (1 1/4") next to the dryer vent using plastic tubing. We installed the dryer vent near the front of the cabinet and removed the drawer. To cover the hole, I found a stainless steel claim shell style cover at a marine store. To hold the plastic pipe in place I ran a small screw through the tube into the wood framing of the trailer just behind the fiberglass skin. I then trimmed the excess tubing flush with the outside of the trailer. Then I used silicone caulk to fill around the hole and seal it.

The other option was to try to run it with the supply lines and drain pipe that run under the dresser and exit out near the landing leg. We had tried to fish the plastic tube through to no avail. Not wanting to drill into the box housing the supply lines, the only other way we could think of was to remove the dresser and try to disassemble the box. That is why we went to plan B using the claim shell cover.

Ken

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #37
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks brenkco! We pulled the drawer out yesterday and figured there was no way we were going to be able to fish a plastic tube so we were trying to figure out a 'Plan B' and low and behold I come online today and you have supplied the answer! Thanks!!! When we get home we will take a look at that and see if it will work for us...it should!

Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
UPDATE: The VENTLESS washer/dryer combo unit the Spendide 7100XC is fully hooked up and has been used several times. Since I promised that I would report back on what we found out and how we liked it here is my report...

Disclaimer: My husband decided how he wanted to install it and will suffer whatever consequences for said install.

The hardest part of the install was getting the unit into the trailer. We got it to the door of the trailer (with the steps up), lifted the unit with arm straps up to a table about thigh level, then lifted it into the door of the trailer. We then used the arm straps to get it back to the cupboard. We did NOT have to remove the doors as it is fairly narrow. In the cupboard the unit fits very snuggly. We used the mounting brackets which means that the back of the units hoses are touching the back of the cupboard. We used the hoses that were supplied but added 90 degree elbows on the water supply end. We did cut a hole about 6"x6" into the closet so we could check for leaking and to disconnect hoses if necessary. We did NOT use a drain pan and we did NOT vent it to the outside because there is absolutely nothing to connect to. This unit drys by using cold water to condense the steam and then drains it out.

As for how it works. I LOVE IT! I have a 7 year old and when we are camping extremely dirty clothing is a given (yesterday he was rolling in the dirt pretending to be a wolf cub in a den with his friends). So every couple of days I just toss a small load into the unit, add the laundry detergent, a TBSP of vinegar as a water softener, and then run the load. I stop it after the washing is done and then hang up the clothing that I don't want to dry. Then I run a dry cycle for 20 minutes and the clothing comes out damp. I then hang it up to dry. It does a great job cleaning! There is absolutely NO condensation in the trailer from this unit and it is really quiet. It does jiggle the trailer a bit when it is spinning (1200RPM) but not a big deal. If you, or your wives, have any questions please let me know. I am one happy camper because now I will not arrive home with 6 loads of laundry to do!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

UPDATE: The VENTLESS washer/dryer combo unit the Spendide 7100XC is fully hooked up and has been used several times. Since I promised that I would report back on what we found out and how we liked it here is my report...

Disclaimer: My husband decided how he wanted to install it and will suffer whatever consequences for said install.

The hardest part of the install was getting the unit into the trailer. We got it to the door of the trailer (with the steps up), lifted the unit with arm straps up to a table about thigh level, then lifted it into the door of the trailer. We then used the arm straps to get it back to the cupboard. We did NOT have to remove the doors as it is fairly narrow. In the cupboard the unit fits very snuggly. We used the mounting brackets which means that the back of the units hoses are touching the back of the cupboard. We used the hoses that were supplied but added 90 degree elbows on the water supply end. We did cut a hole about 6"x6" into the closet so we could check for leaking and to disconnect hoses if necessary. We did NOT use a drain pan and we did NOT vent it to the outside because there is absolutely nothing to connect to. This unit drys by using cold water to condense the steam and then drains it out.

As for how it works. I LOVE IT! I have a 7 year old and when we are camping extremely dirty clothing is a given (yesterday he was rolling in the dirt pretending to be a wolf cub in a den with his friends). So every couple of days I just toss a small load into the unit, add the laundry detergent, a TBSP of vinegar as a water softener, and then run the load. I stop it after the washing is done and then hang up the clothing that I don't want to dry. Then I run a dry cycle for 20 minutes and the clothing comes out damp. I then hang it up to dry. It does a great job cleaning! There is absolutely NO condensation in the trailer from this unit and it is really quiet. It does jiggle the trailer a bit when it is spinning (1200RPM) but not a big deal. If you, or your wives, have any questions please let me know. I am one happy camper because now I will not arrive home with 6 loads of laundry to do!
Thanks for the update and the review!
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #40
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Hi Carol, glad it worked out for you....