Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #41
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When I looked at the DirectTV online site for RVers, they advertised "high speed internet" also for $10 more. When you read the small print, you get a different picture. It tells you they really don't supply the service themselves and that you may (will) have to buy additional equipment. Additionally, it can only come with the higher end packages. Ring around the rosey.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess I am not clear on what the "RV package" is. We have what is now the directtv Choice plus package. We get the local network feeds, all of them, no matter where we are just by changing the zip code. We have 4 receivers 2 are in the RV and 2 remain in the stick house.We call Direct tv give them the card numbers of the receivers in the RV and they are changed to the area we are in... This will work with any of the packages.....What is the advantage of having the "RV package"???? We do not yet have the HDTV or the newer dishes but will in the near future. I guess I do not understand the East/West feed thing..If I am in the West why do I want the East feed and if in the East why the West feed. All we noted when in Apache Junction , Az was that there was a 3 hour time difference in the programming as by accident we had 1 receiver assigned to our Ohio zip code and the other assigned to the Apache Junction zip code so the front room and the bedroom were in two different time zones??? We would like to have the roof mounted dome as I am very lazy and the tripod takes all of 15 mins to set up. To much work...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #43
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
Having Internet and TV does require two accounts - one with Hughesnet and the other with Directv but the external hardware can be consolidated into one Datastorm dish. I have talked about this in detail on our RV Podcast at http://rvnavigator.com.

Basically, you have a Datastorm dish installed on the roof and add the necessary LNBs for satellite TV. This is one of the only ways to get satellite HDTV. We have had this system (which of course is portable and mounted on our RV) for about 2 1/2 years. It works everywhere that you have a view of the southern sky. No cell phone based system can even come close having that kind of coverage. Want to travel down the Baja - no problem. Want to boondock in the desert, you'll have internet. I push a button and ten minutes later I am on the web and have satellite TV. I will say that download is fast, upload is slow, but which do you do more of? It is a very workable system. We just came back from 6 weeks in Mexicos Yucatan - 3600 miles and we had internet for the entire trip.
Questions?

kw
Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #44
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Choose not to have a roof mount. Not applicable.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ken is correct on the system he describes. We looked at one in operation that was parked nearby in Lake Havasu, Az.IT is a very pricey and may well be worth the investment to many folks. Perhaps one day we will be able to have such a system..but today is not the day.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #46
KathyH

M.O.C. #19998
Internet

I've read a lot about traveling and the difficulty with getting good internet connection. I'm interested in talking with anyone who is using Hughesnet or other internet connection. I work from home and need to have the ability to move my office to our 5th wheel when we are on the road. I have two laptops and an internet phone. We are leaning towards Hughesnet but need opinions on setting up and finding signal. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote