Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Internet and TV

AARRGGG!! I am going nuts trying to get what I want. I want internet and television programing in one package. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK. Ok, ok, I am calm. It seems there isn't a really good solution to mobile service. There's satellite with questionable internet service and slow up loads. There are law suites detering some providers.

Tracnet 100 advertizes what I am looking for, but I can't find anyone with experience with the system or that can tell me how it works with my 12' 9" Montana. The more questions I ask, the more convoluted the answers become. I am not an electronics guru, but I know what I want and can't seem to find it. A lot of money can be spent gearing up for the different approaches to this, so I am trying to look before I leap. All I find is cloudy glasses to peer through.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Stiles, we share your pain and will be watching the responses with eager anticipation. We can take our DirecTV with us in the Big Sky, but Hughesnet sattelite internet cannot be made mobil. We are looking at the Verizon air card for internet service. One size fits all sure would be nice, both from a convenience and a billing stand point.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Stiles,

I have a friend who has the Tracnet satellite TV and Internet on his boat. He loves it! I do not know any specifics about it, but we do catch all the games while floating down the river. =) And his kids are online all the blazing time. I think they spend more time below deck on the computer than they do in the water... lol! Sorry I cannot offer more specifics for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys we use the DirecTV and the Verizon Broadband air card. It works pretty good most everywhere we have been. Granted, it not blazing speed like Comcast, but it is 100 times faster than any land line. It like much like a cell phone, no signal, no coverage. Runs $59/month with unlimited access minutes. We love it.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
We have used a Sprint Air Card with limited success...the more remote you are, the less it works...just like a cell phone. We have used our hughesnet all over the US and into Mexico with few problems...rain storms and trees between you and the Satellite. We also use Directv with Tivo....same problems; rain and trees. I purchased the MotoSat automatic dishes and had them mounted on the roof. When we park, I press 1 button on each controller and within 5 minutes or so we have TV and Internet. As I remember the cost for the Directv dish was about the same as one of those dish domes. The Internet dish was $7,000 or so. They were both installed by Montana Satellite in Kalispell. They did a good great job.

-Dave
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
There are many many many people using Hughesnet for internet mobile. At least 3 on this forum that I know for certain.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
FireTruckerWife, Can you be more specific about who is using Hughesnet? They have told us that it can only be used in a fixed position. Something about their computer is programmed to only read the fixed site of the dish. If you move the dish, the computer can't find it.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Stiles, I agree with you. With over 9 million rvs on the road the time has come for a good, reliable tv/internet mobile service. We are going to get a Verizon aircard, to go along the TracVision 6 dish on the roof for Directv. It sure would be nice to have one package. We are going to Helena, MT. for the summer and the rv park is not wifi. Was there last year and used Net Zero, which wasn't all that great, so hopefully Verizon will work. Good luck.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are lovin' our Verizon aircard. It is not 100% effective but it is easy to take with you and we've had a connection almost everywhere. We also have DirecTV and have found that easy to setup.

All of the satellite internet services will tell you that you can only use the setup in a fixed position. The secret is to not tell them that you are RVers. Dusty Foot has good information on the web. http://www.dustyfoot.com/ They have "Bird on a wire" which puts both the TV and Internet receivers on the same tripod unit.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:18 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
DonandBonnie,
We're not FireTruckerWife but we have the Hughesnet system. Actually when we got it it was still DirecWay. But it is now simply Hughes Net. And if you call Hughes you will be told that their system is for a permanent mount only! BUT we use our system, which is on a tripod, every time we go on the road. We bought the system thru a third party dealer. That is the only way to go! There are several really good dealers out there. We got ours from DustyFoot. Good outfit to work with. Anytime I've had a problem I just give him a call and he gets me going again. I've only had to call him a couple of times.

We also have DirecTV on the same dish. But DirecWay (HughesNet) and DirecTV are two separate companies and are billed separately. I know at least two others who have a similar setup.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, I'm with you. Seems like everyone (Techno folks), has the best unit, yet seems also like everyone has a different unit. I am totally confused. I have used cable at my home for the last 5 years and no nothing about mobile TV or internet. When you find the perfect system, be sure to let me know. I am looking also......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
HamRad, Tell us more. We got Hughesnet just after the changeover from DirecWay. We were told that sharing dishes is not possible and Hughesnet cannot be moved because of the computer programming of the site location. Dustyfoot.com comfirms that Hughes will not give any assistance. What parts of the DirecTV and Hughes hardware do you take with you and what is supplied by Dustyfoot? Can DW watch TV at the same time you want to surf the net with one dish? Thanks for the help. Don
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
DonandBonnie,
The Kit I got from DustyFoot included the tripod, the dish (3/4 meter), 50ft of dual cable, the modem, an Align-a-sight, the dish receiver and transmitter module. The TV option is called the "Bird on a wire". DustyFoot added the TV receiver onto the dish. He also set up the whole thing for our fixed location. To set up the TV part of the process he had to know what service and satellite we were on. He then calibrated everything.

In a normal set up it takes us about 15 to 30 minutes to get the system up.

The internet part of the system is completely separate from the TV. You can watch TV and surf the Net all at the same time.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Go to maxwellsatillite.com. We have a dish that we use for Hughesnet & Directv (basic service only). Don't even talk to Hughes about this!! Deal with Glenn at Maxwell. I have some info if you want to PM me.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, well, I called Dusty Foot and got dusted off. I wanted to talk "Tripod" and he wanted to talk Datastorm, about $5000 difference. He said that "Bird on a Wire" is no longer manufactured and that he only had a few left so he is saving those for Datastorm buyers. Ain't corporate greed grand? Of course some would call it wisdom.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Stiles,
Bob and Sharon did their own tripod, bracket, etc. which is what we were planning on doing also. We have DirecWay but do not plan on continuing with it. So you can buy the dish and then get a contractor's tripod at Home Depot, have a bracket made for it and you are good to go. I have seen both Dennis and Mary Kay's and Bob and Sharon's set ups. They work great. We discussed the combination but then decided there would be times we might want to set up just the TV and not the internet. When we start full timing I'm not sure yet what we will do for internet. Still thinking about it. But I've decided the DirecWay is just too big for full timing. Gotta have room for all my crafts you know! LOL We have seen a lot of the DirecWay dishes in RV parks so a lot of people are traveling with them.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Find the yahoo group called RVInternetbySatellite. and you'll find out all about hughesnet, dustyfoot, Maxwell, etc, etc.
Do a google search for mobile internet, and it'll keep you reading for days. Starband also has a system that IS approved for moving(you just need an installer that is approved for mobile). Hughes isn't approved, and you never talk to them or tell them that you are moving it, but we are and hundreds of others are also.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #18
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Sounds like Hughes can be made mobile rather easily. Wonder why they are so hard to deal with when you talk about taking their system on the road? When I originally contracted to get Hughes in the stick house, I mentioned our plans to hit the road in the future. They made it sound like I would be subject to instant execution if I tried.

I sent an e-mail to Maxwell this morning. If you have the modem and the dish for Hughes, they can sell you a kit to make it portable. They can also provide an add on arm for DirecTV on the same dish. There is a substantial cost savings, doing it this way.

How about some advice from those that are using the Maxwell Satellite or similar setups. Is this something that those of us that are electonically challenged can set up and use?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My problem, as Sue pointed out is the enormous amount of extra space these dishes take up if you are a FTer. Unless you're talking about a roof mount system?

I want high speed internet and Directv. Not sure an aircard will make it for the internet side of things. I've used it before. I will get on the search engines as Sharon suggests and see if I can educate myself...

Also, I will continue to watch here.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #20
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have the Maxwell system, HN 7000S, and have used it thru out the Rio Grande valley and out West. When you get the system you will have everthing needed to set up the system. Its very well made and very easy to set up. I did have a problem on our first set up. Glenn will walk you thru your set if needed. We are using the system now, DW is on her laptop and I'm on my laptop. Mine is hooked to the Modem and hers is using a router. We didn't go for the bird on a wire. We wanted to have a HDTV system, so we have a 5 LNB by Direct-TV. The bird on a wire wasn't able to get HDTV... We have no problem setting up the Direct-TV system, but it takes a little longer to get the Satellite system up and running. To lock on to your assigned Satellite, it does take me a little longer. But its well worth the time. Watching HDTV on a 32" LCD Tv and using a laptop is awesome. You may as well go for the HDTV systems, because anolog is almost history. I can't believe the RV system is so for behind, and they are still putting those out dated Tv's in RVs. We have LCD's with HDTV in the living room and bedroom. Life is good...GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote