Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Extra Stabilizers behind the wheels

I just added a set of BAL Stabilizers behind the wheels on the Apartment. What a difference! Most all of the wiggle is gone, no undulations, and they were easy to install, only took about an hour. The only thing I had to do was make a stand-off to get the passenger side stabilizer below the propane pipe. (3280RL-middle kitchen-slide). I am very impressed, and the price was very reasonable. The legs are 24 inches long and only takes a second to screw down with the impact wrench.

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This is something I was thinking about doing as well. Glad to hear it helps take the "bounce" out of the coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wellll..let me tell you..I've been doing some "wiggle" testing. King pin stabilizer, front legs, rear stabilizers..Bal in between the wheel chocks,,, Now get this,,I had 3 sets of those jack stand type of stabilizers left over from previous campers.One set between the rear stablizers and the rear wheels, another set between the steps and the front set of wheels and another set halfway between front legs and the steps..it is hopeless..still get wiggle..The camper will need to be on a foundation to eliminate the wiggle. I was not in the Navy but will have to develop sea legs for long stays..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I have a couple of bottle jacks I use under spring hangers works well for me.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Click here to see my method of stabilizing

and here's what I got to say on the subject of the remaining wiggle....
I should point out that by using the above method I have really only gotten rid of about 90% of the movement. I feel that the remaining 10% that I can't get rid of is a constant reminder that I am now in my element. I am Full Timin' in my RV and not sitting in some stick house somewhere in suburbia waiting for the morning alarm to send me off to work.
To me that 10% is barely noticeable but to the next guy, well, he or she may think it's like living with constant earthquake after shocks. Now if you find that even the slightest movement is still unbearable or uncomfortable than maybe you should rethink having an RV or you could get a tent. The floors of tents usually don't have much movement at all unless of course you have a real earthquake.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:30 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My test set up is exactly like Glenns with a couple more sets of stabilizer jacks. His 90/10 evaluation is in the ball park. We note side to side movement and my guess is because we (3400) have four slides hanging out over the frame. If we had stabilizers at the corners of the slides it would improve but I don't think we will accept the negatives of doing that. The wiggle.."goes with the territory" .When we set up for a long period of time we will use the many jack method. Always keep in mind the camper is not on a foundation and is connected to the ground by 4 wheels. I am just a test nut...
Old 06-28-2006, 05:02 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I do agree with Glenn, I am in my element, and no it isn't on a foundation, but sitting on rubber donuts, and having broken my back twice, I can't crawl around putting tripod stabilizers evry four feet or so, so this is what works for us, I can set it up without having to get down on my knees, which insures that I wtill be mobile after setting up, rather than lying flat on my back for two days.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rick, Like Rich, I already had the 2 jacks I use under the frame. Someday I do plan on getting 2 sets of the BAL Stabilizers. One set in back of the spring shackles and another in front of the axles about midway between the axles the the front jacks. This would definitely make stabilizing much easier. For now I will be on my back but only when we are in an extended stay situation of a few weeks or more. If I'm only set up for a short stay I don't use the tripod or the frame jacks. During our summer travels most stays are less than 2 weeks. I look for making life easier and the less I have to do for a short stay set up the better.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never spent 3 or 4 months in one place in a camper before so after this winter our thoughts on "wiggle" may change.I could deal with extra bal stabilizer jacks on the camper because I am extremely lazy in my retirement years and anything that takes the work out of work is a good thing////
Old 06-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
That is the beauty of having the little washer dryer up in the front closet. When it is doing the spin cycle, no one knows if you are doing laundry or just being frisky.

The pin tripod really does keep the spin cycle or friskiness in check.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Tell me again the difference between the aluminum and steel (or other heavier metal) tripod kingpin stabilizers (besides the weight difference)? Is there a problem with aluminum - "doesn't hold up"/"too pricey"/"not adjustable"/"the only time I touch aluminum is when it contains beer"/etc?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Here is a link to the one that I use. I got mine thrown in as part of my deal when ordering the 3400RL.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=215858

I have not had any trouble with the durability of this BAL product, while it does not take out all the movement, it sure does help.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The steel ones are HEAVY..The aluminun ones are lighter..otherwise the same... I had no idea which one I bought,,it was on sale so I bought it..it turned out to be the aluminum one..I think it is heavy..I had it on the camper for a week and could not tell any difference in the wiggle..I mean you have the rear stablizers and the two front jacks that seems plenty stable.It is the side to side wiggle that you can't get rid of..Oh well..what do I know..
Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, is that aluminum?

Rich, so non-aluminum tripods would REALLY be a weight problem?

*On Edit~ Or are ALL kingpin stabilizers aluminum???
Old 06-29-2006, 02:20 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The aluminum one weighs about 18 lbs ..the steel one about 32lbs.I figured the aluminum one will be easier for Helen to lug around. Check out www.campingworld.com
Old 06-29-2006, 02:29 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich. I hear people complaining about the weight of these things, so I thought I'd check.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #17
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My steel cheapo Tripod is not very heavy at all. It is the model that you set up under the pin and then let your landing gear down to take a little weight. Now that I am used to it I can set it up in under a minute and you get used to the chain tension to tell you when you have the right amount of weight on it. Really I think it is less effort than the more expensive ones that you have to spin up by hand and both of them take getting used to so I would save the money and buy the cheapo like mine.

IMO, the pin Tripods help mostly the side to side movement and if you have a washer dryer up in the front bedroom, you need this.
Try it yourself. With your Rig set up without the tripod, put your hand on the hitch and shove to the side. It is real easy to move your unit. With a Tripod properly set up, try it again.........solid.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This will be a new experience for me. Maybe my dealer will throw one in when I pick up our 3400.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
My El Cheapo steel tripod is easy to handle, and I particularly like the fact that IT IS steel. In this use it is much sturdier than aluminum. IMHO
Old 07-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The aluminum one weighs about 18 lbs ..the steel one about 32lbs.I figured the aluminum one will be easier for Helen to lug around. Check out www.campingworld.com
Dave.. I lied...My neighbor was over yesterday and when asked I told him they were aluminum..he said these are heavy for aluminum so I took them inside and weighed them...they weigh 30 lbs so they are the steel ones...don't know how that happened as I got them for the sale price on aluminum..such is life..Hope Helen doesn't strain herself..