Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rv backup cam

Just ordered one from www.rvcams.com Been thinking about it for awhile and since I had nothing to do at the moment thought I would spend some $. Had a nice long chat with Tim (the owner) ordered the 56-chnv with a extra 15 foot of cable. The back up part is nice but one of us is always directing with a radio., We will use it more as a rear view mirror which Tim acknowledges most folks do.We will feel a lot better being able to see what is going on behind us. Tim says it should give you a clear view about 40 feet back.My biggest problem to overcome was where to install the monitor in the Truck but with the PC table that Parrothead turned us on to it will be no problem and we can make one to our own specs for about $7.00. The TV cab is filling up, CB radio, PC table, backup cam monitor, self and Wife. Meanwhile the Bird has the entire crew Cab/

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Geeezzz Rich... would you quit ordering stuff!??..

I know that you research the heck out of products so whenever you find a gizmo/toy you like and are buying it..... well, it makes me start looking for my debit card...

By the way, I just ordered two of the "Kill-A-Watt" (Topic: Monitoring the power line and appliances) and received 2nd day air shipping at 40% off. (They will arrive in time for Father's Day for Doug.) I bought one for the house & one for the Montana.
I can't wait to play with them.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Is this monitor a wireless unit Rich? if not the conections is going to be a long run and where it conects to the truck from the trailer adds some more weak points for loss of video gain. the other question why cant you use the lap top as the monitor for the video?? just some questions.

TT2
Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Rich, isn't if funny what we will do for our animals? Now there you are all cramped up in the front seat and that bird has the whole back seat to himself....Crazy world isn't it!!!!
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Rich, I was looking at the link in your post. Which one did you get?

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WifeofDano We got the 56 chnv with 15 feet of additional cable.TT no it is not a wireless unit. Homework indicated that it would be too long a run for a wireless unit. And My guess is that you can adapt the laptop monitor to work with the Rv cam and we considered that however we use the laptop for GPS and other things while in the Tv and switching back and forth would be a pain..also the spouse not driving does the navigation and other housekeeping chores and that monitor is NOT directed toward the driver for safety reasons but we do want the driver to be able to glance at the Rv cam monitor as it will be a rear view mirror. At least that is my justification for spending the bucks..
Old 06-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

Geeezzz Rich... would you quit ordering stuff!??..

I know that you research the heck out of products so whenever you find a gizmo/toy you like and are buying it..... well, it makes me start looking for my debit card...

By the way, I just ordered two of the "Kill-A-Watt" (Topic: Monitoring the power line and appliances) and received 2nd day air shipping at 40% off. (They will arrive in time for Father's Day for Doug.) I bought one for the house & one for the Montana.
I can't wait to play with them.

Well since I just retired from my second career as a bus driver I will have to slack off..Got a couple of big bus driving paychecks still to come so we are looking for gadgets and gizmos.

Oh Yea..Still need a auto former...
Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
........... an auto former?

Oh no.........
Old 06-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Rich & Helen

I bought mine from Tim also.Great guy to deal with.It does make a BIG difference in being able to see 3 lanes of traffic behind you while traveling.I know you will be happy with it.The picture is very clear.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:26 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Harleyrider..How did you mount yours..Where did you run the cable, where did you mount the camera, How did you get into the truck. I am thinking of mounting it at the center of the camper ..not sure how high up..Tne primary use will be as a rear view mirror and my thought is it should be about the same height as a rear view mirror. Your obsevations and experience will be valued.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:29 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

........... an auto former?

Oh no.........
You mean you do not have one..Reach for your debit card

http://www.rvperformanceproducts.com...id=autoformers

Old 06-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I see the need for an auto former. *heavy sigh*

We are mostly boondockers, but all it takes is one visit somewhere with full hook-ups to fry the appliances. Kinda like playing Russian roulette isn't it?..... Which time with hook-ups is gonna be the one?..

Is there an auto former you recommend? Is there one that the full-timers recommend?

How about.... do full-timers use one at all or have they had problems with power spikes at parks?

I really need to get my husband into reading the MOC. He leaves it up to me to find what we need for the Montana.

Hmmmm....Where's my credit card?... the debit card ain't gonna handle this one.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do a search on Autoformers..A lot of folks have them and can give some good input on them. I see it as a must have if you are travelling around the country..
Old 06-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Received the Rv backup cam this afternoon.Took 3 days for delivery..All I can say is..Oh..boy..Had it in the truck and fired up 20 mins after it came out of the box.The monitor fits in the in dash cup holder on the 05 F-350 Ford like they made the cup holder for that purpose. The picture is incredible even in low light. Will have to figure out where to mount it on the 3400..Tomarrow will be a fun day..
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rich, why does a guy need a backup camera when he has a wife that can tell him exactly where to go in no uncertain terms!!!!I'm thinking aobut one, let us know how you like it please.
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I like most folks that use these we will use it primarily as a rear view mirror.From the test Helen and I did this PM it will make a good rear view mirror, Good field of vision, clear crisp picture and in total darkness the night vision is like it was daytime..a bit grainy but that how IR is. Mounting it and routing it into the truck will be the challenge. One of us is always out with a radio when backing..Helen is as always real good at telling me where to go...
Old 06-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
More testing on the Rv cam..Gorilla taped it to the center of my fold a cover on the F-350 and hit the road, City and intersate driving. The picture is crisp, color good and provides a far greater field of vision than the rear view mirror. The 5.6 monitor fits on the dash drink stand perfect.Could have gone with the 6.8 monitor but the 5.6 does the job. The sound portion of the system is not all that great but not concerned with that as there will always be someone back there with a radio when backing.. This system is fantastic as a rear view mirror. I do not suggest that it is the ultimate safety device..however it will provide you with a great deal of safety related information that you did not previously have. Well worth the 350.00. The 6.8 inch monitor will fit ok in the F-350 and had I known this I would have went with the 6.8 inch.. I was overly concerned with space.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
If your watching what is going on behind your coach, who is watching whats going on in front of your truck?? LOL!

I am glad your camera has arrived, I look forward to pictures when you have it all installed and set up.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That would be the first thing you think of however..you use it as a rear view mirror .Think of how often you check the Rear view mirror..when pulling the camper all you see in the RVM is camper so you check the monitor as you would the Rear view mirror. That is something we do not think about because checking the RVM is a reflex action but next time you drive somewhere be aware of how often you check the RVM..you will be surprised..Should have some pics soon of cab set up.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #20
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
...*green with envy, not cash*.

The RV cam will have to go on "The List" along with the auto former and a new stablizer system.

Looking forwards to your pictures also Rich.