Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Space under frig and oven.....

Glen has popped out the panels to the space under these appliances and it is very usable space. The area is carpeted and has no wires or anything hanging down. One has to wonder why Keystone didn't put doors on these openings like other manufacturers do. It's a waste to have it closed up and inaccessible.

We priced drawer fronts for the openings and Lowe's quoted us a price of $30 - 50 for each one. So we bought an 8" x 72" piece of oak for $23 and Glen was able to cut drawers fronts that match almost perfectly, just on his table saw. Didn't even have to use the router. Now if I can just get the stain done right.

We even have a little extra oak to use for small shelves in the Monty.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I put a drawer in the space under the oven. I ordered another drawer, it's the same size as the desk drawer. I used the drawer face and made the drawer longer to accomodate the extra space under the oven. It makes a very nice, long drawer for all of our pots and pans. I paid too much for the extra drawer, but it matches the other drawer faces and doors.
Montana should have utilized all the space in cabinet. All the drawer could have been 6" deeper.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, we do have a few wires in our openings, in the very back. Al secured them. We did not do drawers, just the doors, hinged so they open down, and yep, lots of nice room.

I believe it is Golden Oak that matches, Bill and Ann know for sure! Maybe you want to PM them.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I was torn between the golden oak or the natural oak, which is what I bought. I was concerned about it being too light so I bet the golden oak is correct. I think I'll exchange it tomorrow.

Our spaces are nice and clean and completely carpeted. I think if we were to put a drawer in there, we would lose space but it would be more handy. Either way it's a great space, more than I expected.

Glen said there are a few wires hanging in the back.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, ours is carpeted as well. I store stuff in there I don't use a lot, larger stuff, like a tray for carrying food out to the picnic table, only used in the summer, but very handy then. Or large plastic bowl for when Al goes crazy in RGV buying fruit. That way, I don't really miss having a drawer there.

A reminder, some have said you need to be careful of the one under the oven, if you use the oven, they say it can get warm. I keep forgetting to check what I have stored there when I am baking.

You guys are surely making giant steps forward on the full timing/getting ready to rock n roll. I think I am tired just reading your posts!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I built drawers for our spaces and had a local cabinet shop make me fronts that matched the other cabinet doors. I orderd matching hardware from Keystone for the handles. All in all, it makes for two very useful storage spaces. We use one for pots and pans, and the other for vacuum cleaner hose and tools. Must give credit to "Ormee and Ginette" and "Bill and Amn" for the inspiration.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are getting some wonderful things accomplished. Busy, busy, busy. But it's fun because we have so much to look forward to.

I already tested the area under the stove and it holds so much! I put a pizza pan, cake pan, etc under there so they should handle a little warmth. THanks for that info, Carol.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Judy, if there is any way to test that stain before you use it, I would. We stained all the trim on a new house we bought several years ago. After studying other stained window sills, we settled on the Golden Oak. We were not even close. Much lighter, even with several coats, than we imagined. We are not professional painters by any means, but that Golden Oak may be a little lighter than you were hoping for.

That's only our experience, though. Can't remember the brand name, but it was a national brand stain.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, Bill is checking our stain now. I'll get back to you. Whatever it is, it matches perfectly.

Helen

Bill just brought the can in for me to look at. It is Varathane from either Lowe's or Home Depot in Spring Oak. It is Perfect. No one can tell the difference.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Helen. I'll look for that brand. I didn't see it at Lowe's so maybe it's at Home Depot.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Helen. This is good information to know for those who want to do a little remodeling. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, I can tell you it depends on the WOOD you get. I think Al ended up with WHITE OAK. And, it took the color different than REGULAR (?) oak. We could not use the Golden Oak stain, on white oak wood, it did not have enough red in it, YEP, red.

Dave, that might be why you had trouble matching, different kind of wood. Silly Carol, I did not know there was a white and a regular (there has to be some name for it) oak.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 AM   #13
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
While at Lowes, check for the handles. We found perfect matches at our Lowes here in Troy. We have different handles than the 2006 models and when we ordered from Keystone, they sent us the new style, couldn't use unless we replaced all our handles. I'm having to have my drawers built as I don't own too many woodworking tools. I just hope Keystone sees what we do to our Montys, maybe they will incorperate some of our improvements when they come out with the new models.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I have the same hopes as you, Emmel. Matter of fact, I was a little disgusted with Keystone after I saw all that valuable storage area that wasn't utilized just to save the cost of a couple of drawers or doors. There is soooo much room there.

The wood that we purchased is "red oak", Carol, so we should be able to get a good match if we find the right stain. The only way to know for sure if we're on the right track is to do a test strip first. We'll only need a tiny can of stain so I hope we can find the right color in a small amount. Glen did a beautiful job of making the doors. He even surprised himself. It was much easier than we thought and they look beautiful.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:34 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes, Red Oak is correct. I am sure my builder used White Oak. I assumed all oak trim was Red Oak. Apparently I was wrong...
Old 05-08-2006, 05:07 AM   #16
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
My Montana Mountaineer has drawers in these areas, therefore you should be able to order the parts from the factory.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #17
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I was told one of the reasons they don't add drawers or openings in those places is because of RIVA regarding wires & gas lines, etc. The other reason was weight. They have quite a bit of those blanks in ours and I can only imagine the amount of weight it saves in Oak and what people would store in those areas.

I would be pushing to have those areas opened too, but our fridge is the larger one so there is barely any room under there. Dick is the other reason, with our model it has so much storage space and I already have SO much stuff in there he wouldn't hear of providing me with places to stuff with more things!

Judy,

We changed our Living Room Television and added a mantel to our fireplace in our 2003 Big Sky. They didn't have the fancy trim work on the fireplaces back then. Here is the photo of the project below.

We used the product pictured below. It is PolyShades by Minwax, Classic Oak in Satin Finish. It's really neat because it's an all in one process. So NO separate staining and varnishing! This can is only a 1/2 pint and I still have a lot left. I think I used 3 coats using steel wool in between coats. It came out a perfect match in color and finish. I almost forgot I bought it at Home Depot.

I wish I could take credit for the color match but I found the information on the forum from one of the other members. I just can't remember who? It may have been worknomore, maybe sreigle, but again I am not sure?

Here is a closer shot of the color match. It matches all the real Oak but of course not the vinyl photo finished covered luan used as cabinet stiles.

Hope this helps a little?

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RC and Samantha

I was told one of the reasons the don't add drawers or openings in those places is because of RIVA regarding wires & gas lines, etc. The other reason was weight. They have quite a bit of those blanks in ours and I can only imagine the amount of weight it saves in Oak and what people would store in those areas.
Oh, Darn! There goes my idea of a gasoline storage area...
Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sure a nice job on the mantel and the addition of your new tv. So many upgrades and changes on my list, not sure if I will ever get started or ever get done... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Patti, your mantel is beautiful! And guess what stain we bought today at Home Depot....the very same thing you used. And it is a perfect match to the real oak. The one step process is really nice.

We put the hinges and latches on the door fronts to see how they fit. And I have stained one side. We elected to not put any pulls or handles on the fronts at this time as they can be opened easily with fingertips by catching one side or the other. It saves a few $$ and we can always buy some later. We won't have to worry about hitting the handle and they look like a SECRET compartment. So if any of my cookie sheets are missing, I'll who to check with first....the forum.

Glen put the same hinges across the bottom (2) that are on the other doors and the same inside clips to hold them shut. I think we're really going to enjoy this extra space. Only the frig area has two wires across the back and both areas are carpeted and look quite finished inside.