Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dale, thanks for an awesome and informative response.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:09 AM   #22
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I think part of the problem with the montanas is that because the rear cap sticks out so far, if you welded something to the frame...it would have to stick out too far unsecured and the weight would put alot of stress on it flexing as you were "bouncing" down the road.(don't know if I explained it clearly)
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #23
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we ended up putting a hitch on the front of our truck for the bikes. it works fine during the day, but gets in the headlights view at night.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:50 AM   #24
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Like he says, it's each to his own. I ran across two guys with Montanas last month. They both had 2" receiver hitches custom built on the back of their units. The one guy claimed he pulled a boat that weighed 3800+ pounds. Been doing it for over a year. Neither guy reported any problems at all. I'm not condoning it, just reporting it. I'd love to do it, but don't think I'll try. My boat weighs about 4000#.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #25
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Clyde, I can just about guarantee that soon those guys will regret what they are doing!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #26
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I tend to think that way too. That's why I doubt I'll try. I've looked closely at that frame. To do it so I felt like the hitch was built right would make it very heavy in itself, and you've got all that added stress back there from the boat's weight. Now if I had a small, lightweight boat, I'd be looking at it again.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #27
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have seen this same discussion for the past couple of years. If you read your warranty it says that any modification to the I-beams will void the warranty. I would love to have a rack as well, but welding to the fram is a modification as described under the warranty. I deal with such issues daily on the job and this is just tampering with the warranty that can give the builder a way out of a claim in the future.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #28
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I would not carry anything but two bikes. This bike rack issue has been going on for years. If you go to a bike store, not Wal Mart, and want to purchase a bike carrier and tell them it is for the back of a tt they will tell you the manufacture will not stand behind the carrier if it is put in a receiver on the back of a travel trailer.If you want to be responsible for the rerceiver and the carrier just do it.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #29
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
Just bought a new 3650 and the dealer put on a 2" receiver hitch for bicycles. No mention of warranty issues. He did say it was quite a job since they had to attach it to the frame. It looks great. I hope it works as well. Anxious to try out the new rig. Have camping fever bad.

leonard in Iowa
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:09 PM   #30
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I am sure if there are problems with a couple of forty pound bikes on the back of a keystone product, we would have lots of replies by now. Pictures to show a twisted or broken trailer frame. Bikes out in the middle of the highways because the receiver broke. If you can get one mounted, geeter done and have fun with the bikes, thats what it is all about.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:47 AM   #31
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rvfirefighter

I will take some pictures tomorrow, but it is a simple setup. I took 1" angle steel, cut it to extend the length of the pinbox on both sides to the front of the RV. I bolted these to the sides of the box using the existing holes in the pinbox. I bolted a piece of flat sheet steel to the top of the angle and on top of the sheet steel I bolted a reciever hitch made to install on the bottom of a step bumper.
I got the steel from a metal shop and the reciever hitch at Northern Tools.

I took some pictures of my bike rack, but I do not know how to post them in a forum. If someone can help me I will post them for everyone's interest.
If you send me your email address, I will send them that way.

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #32
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my very old and very dangerous mind, I remember that the problem with hitches on the back of Montana is that the stress was showing up as fiberglass cracks up by the bedroom area, from the flex and bouncing. Thought that was was Lon Nelson showed us when we were at the service center for some repairs. I am not talking about that crack under the bedroom slide, talking about the area just where the bedroom and the main portion of the unit join. Note, my disclaimer about old memories!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:53 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After having a chat with the service manager about attaching a receiver hitch on the rear of the 3400 and all that goes with it. We are having serious second thoughts..Not from the safety standpoint but the cost of doing it properly.I said well I am not going to spend 500.00 or so to have it done and he said.."brace yourself" May be ladder hitch after all????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #34
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lots of people have those ladder hitches Rich, and seem to have little trouble with them. Our current preference is the front hidden hitch on the truck. The bikes ride steady as a rock, no possible damage to ladder, etc, whatever, on Montana and the price surely was right! We rarely drive at night, so any problem with the headlights is averted. We have driven with the bikes on there at night, we can still see ok, but right headlight does hit bike wheel a bit. Again, we almost never drive at night, so if we find ourselves in that situation we just slow down a bit and continue being careful.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:34 AM   #35
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
The 3400 frame comes no where close to the end cap of the trailer.
When you mount the hitch to the frame it does sit quite a ways back from the end cap.
I just put a hitch extension into the reciever and then when I put the bike rake on, the bikes do not hit the ladder ot cap.
I use a ladder mounted bike rake to carry my 6' ladder.
Be cautious with putting bike rack on a front hitch of the TV.
It will create wind disturbance and could cause the vehicle to overheat both the engine and trans.
Just my thoughts
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:35 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we did look ubder the 3400 and the frame is WAY back there.guess that is why it will cost so much to do it properly. We do drive at night a lot so the front of the truck mount is not a option for us. Oh well the ladder mount will do.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #37
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Could cause overheating. Maybe, but, so far, has not, and believe me Al is watching it like a hawk. Ran it last summer in almost 100 degree heat, 120 miles, no fluctuation. But, we do keep watching. One can never be too careful.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #38
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Rich,

Have you bought your bikes yet? If not, may I suggest the 6 speed camping bikes sold at Camping World. Gail and I have a pair. For what we do, they work out great and are really no more expensive than any other quality standard bike.

Next week when I go open the Challenger for the summer, I'll have to take a picture of my "bike rack" and post it here. They fold up and fit just about anywhere you want to put them. If one will hold my lard butt, it will certainly hold yours!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:01 AM   #39
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvfirefighter

quote:
Originally posted by rvfirefighter

I will take some pictures tomorrow, but it is a simple setup. I took 1" angle steel, cut it to extend the length of the pinbox on both sides to the front of the RV. I bolted these to the sides of the box using the existing holes in the pinbox. I bolted a piece of flat sheet steel to the top of the angle and on top of the sheet steel I bolted a reciever hitch made to install on the bottom of a step bumper.
I got the steel from a metal shop and the reciever hitch at Northern Tools.
I took some pictures of my bike rack, but I do not know how to post them in a forum. If someone can help me I will post them for everyone's interest.
If you send me your email address, I will send them that way.
Email sent.
When I get the pics I will post them here and add them to the Show and Tell pages for future reference.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:53 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MIMF2..I wish we had not spent the $ we did just a couple of years ago on two light weight Moutain bikes. Those camping bikes are neat.The rear hitch is not completely out of the question yet.I don't want a bike rack sticking way out in back. It just adds length to a already long enough camper and some of the installations I have seen are downright ugly.We will see what the dealer can do and what it will cost before we go in another direction.