Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's possible, especially exposed to the elements. Wait til Monty goes down a road in MI after a late spring or early fall snowstorm, and picks up a wonderful coat of road salt.

Although, I'm sure the mfrs are aware of this possible problem. Jpbcny, what kind of warranty is on those locks?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #22
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Jpbcny, what kind of warranty is on those locks?
Good Question, doesn't seem to be posted on their website, I guess you have to call: 866-770-2023
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #23
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You can put all the fancy locks on those compartment doors you want but if a thief or even a rowdy "teenager" wants in no lock is going to stop them. A simple screwdriver will pry anyone of these doors open in a couple seconds and with little or no noise.
In our years of RVing I have yet to see a group of marauding teenagers out looking for a compartment to break into.
Quote:

I was just thinking that... you read my mind. I was definitely talking about State CGs. This would not happen in long term parks, I wouldn't think. And like you said during heavy use, holiday times.
Of course we spend very little time in state parks and from what I'm reading in this thread maybe we will avoid all state parks hereafter.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 05:22 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
State parks can be a little rowdy on weekends - not all state parks, though - there has been some mischief from the younger generation on occasion. Park Rangers can sometimes have their hands full on a summer weekend. Hoping to not have to frequent this type of location as much after we are FTing.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #25
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
[quote]Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

You can put all the fancy locks on those compartment doors you want but if a thief or even a rowdy "teenager" wants in no lock is going to stop them. A simple screwdriver will pry anyone of these doors open in a couple seconds and with little or no noise.

The locks are not going to stop anyone who is determined to get in, but they will deter someone from taking a quick peek to see if there is anything worth stealing in the compartment. I'm also replacing the locks on my outside shower, and city water inlet, again this is just to gain access without having to carry a key. As far as State Parks go, I do just about all of my camping in the New York State System, and have never had a problem, I would think that it would be more of problem in a Private Park, where lots of residents are weekenders, and its easy to monitor the comings, goings, and habits of the campers.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As far as I know every compartment key on every camper in the USA,is the same key same. You should be able to walk up to any camper and open the OEM lock on the compartments. As far as breaking in to the compartments or the campers for that matter a screwdriver and about 30 seconds should get any thief in.A simple wireless alarm system that monitors all openiings and make a LOT of noise would be most effective. We are working on that....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #27
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
After I read your post and you said you were getting 5 of these locks.I was wondering what the other 2 locks would be for.Now I know-water inlet & Shower door.I have 3 just might be getting 2 more myself.

I agree with every one else.If some one wants in it doesn`t matter what type lock you have.But for me its all about carrying tons of keys.

I have a little sticker on the bottom of my compartment doors that says. "unauthorized opening of this door will result in severe shock"

I think If I was lerking to open a compartment I might stear clear of mine.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #28
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
jpbcny, I'm with you. Don't understand everyone turning their nose up at state parks. We use Florida and Georgia state parks frequently. Most are on the water and many have pretty good golf courses. We've never had a problem or felt uneasy about the people staying there. Can't say that about some private campgrounds we've been in.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #29
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Just to set a few things straight, I personally have never had any items taken from my camper, whether in a Private or State Park, I have had firewood taken, that was at a Six Flags Resort (Darien Lake - New York Sate), as to that, I beleive the culprits were "Non- Campers", people who Rent units for a few days at the resort, and obviously desired a campfire, but didn't come prepared. As a whole I have found the average RVers, to be helpful, honest, and friendly people. Its just a good practice not to make it too easy for the "Non-Campers".

Just my 2 Cents worth...

JP
Old 02-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This is a strange thread... are we all agreeing with each other? If we are, we're making it sound like we're trying to defend ourselves when there is no one to disagree with???

Oh... I know, I'm trying to make a statement about State parks, but I want to qualify my statement in case I am going to offend someone, because I didn't want to do that... That was clear as mud... Did anyone else follow that? Or am I out on a different playing field than everyone else?

JP, another source of problems in a CG are the local area kids that tend to migrate to the local CG on weekends. Parents don't even know where they are many times. (Not that if I were a teenage boy, that I would even THINK of going to the local campground to see if there might be any good looking girls there on a busy weekend... )
Old 02-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The only time we had anything taken from our campsite in over 25 years of camping was by a big ole Black Bear and we let him take anything he wanted...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #32
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Nice looking lock, but buier beware, road dirt and water in those numbers can cause problems in the internal alignment to open. that is why the have dust covers on the key openings.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Before ya all spend a lot of coin, you might want to do a search here at MOC. We have discussed how switching the locks will not keep the bad guys out if they really want in, cause about 3 seconds and 1 crow bar will blast those doors open and now you have a repair bill as well. Just a thought. We were gonna change ours, decided not to bother. Good luck with your change!
Crow bar? Shoot, I've opened ours with a ten-inch screwdriver in just about that same 3 seconds. That's why I don't bother changing locks. New locks might deter some but anyone wants in, it isn't very difficult even with different locks.

Jpbcny, nice job of making the background transparent on that lock picture. And with incorporating the link.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Ohhhhhh Duh! is me! I should have known that!
I didn't know that. Glad someone asked before me...

*On Edit~ What number is the other 0.1%??? There, Dusty, now I asked a stupid question just to make you feel better...
I think our first fifthwheel used a 347 key. Or close to that number. But the last 3 all used the 751. As Carol said, nearly all use the 751 these days. A few high dollar rigs use a different key.

In any case, the locker door design does not lend itself to keeping those door secure. I won't spend money on different locks until I find something that will not let the door pop open by a brief prying with a simple screwdriver. I have on more than one occasion opened ours that way. The only damage was a slightly bent lever on the lock that was easily returned to original position with a little finger pressure. If you don't believe how easy it is, try it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve, doesn't the combo lock have it's own - hopefully sturdier - locking tab (or other mechanism) that would replace the OEM tab?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #36
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve is right, these doors are pretty easy to pop open. I try not to worry much about that possible break in, if it is going to happen there is not much more I could have done to prevent it. I also have so much stuff in the basement that once the person got the door open he/she would have to take 20 mins to take enough stuff out of there to even get to the laundry shoot.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #37
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I agree with all of you that if you wanted to get into the compartment doors you can, the same goes for the entry door, a pry bar will take that thin door frame and change it into a piece of art.
I think what MOST of us out there are saying is, not that I don't trust my fellow campers but, "I dont want you to have a key that opens my trailer compartments or my house".... there might be a few that dont care who has a key, but if somebody is going to get into my unit , which they can.
I want to see forced entry, for my police report, and insurance company.

TT2
Old 02-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #38
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Quote:

Steve, doesn't the combo lock have it's own - hopefully sturdier - locking tab (or other mechanism) that would replace the OEM tab?
I have opened ours with a screwdriver too. If you look at the door, it is wide and the lock tab is small. You can put a lot of leverage on that tab by prying with a screwdriver a ways from the lock. It is not hard at all. A harder tab just means prying harder. Too much leverage. A new design would be needed. Maybe replace the latches with locks so there are three locks holding the door closed.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
All I want is something that LOOKS like it would take longer than average compartment to break into. Time is a critical factor in any breakin/theft. If it looks like it will - or actually DOES - take an unexpected amount of effort to open a side door, it could actually deter some would-be amateurs.

And, "Dave, did you know a determined professional with a grenade launcher could quickly break into that???"

Yes, I know.

Maybe a sticker that reads, "THIS TRAILER PROTECTED BY I.E.D.s" (Improvised Explosive Devices). As long as some teenage vandal didn't think that was a contraceptive device...

*On Edit~ Forgot my smilie. Didn't want someone to think I was serious on my last paragraph...
Old 02-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #40
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
dsprik, you are assuming that the teenage vandal can read
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote