Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Wow, Orv... 300 # for two? Or do you only need one? Thanks for the info, I have never heard of these before.
Dave,
I got two because I wanted the extra storage capacity (510 ampere-hours). We operate three printers, a scanner, a laptop and a full size computer. The extra capacity allows us to boondock and run most of our appliances without recharging. If we have a lot of sun there is no problem. If we don't have sun for a couple days we use our Honda 2000i to recharge.
Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I guess until I know just how much, or how little, boondocking we are going to be doing, I really don't want to get carried away with the amp-hrs. Do you suggest starting out with just one 12v deep cycle, 2 - 12v, or go with the golf cart batts?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #23
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I have one 12v deep cycle battery, I do not do any "boondocking" but have used the battery to stay in a truckstop and wal*mart before. It was only one night in each direction for that trip and I had enough battery to open and close slides as well as have light for the evening. I think your on the right track, figure out how your going to utilize the coach and go from there. If you can get your dealership to include 2- 12v batteries in your deal I say go for it. Just a thought!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #24
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
As Montana Sky says, one battery is fine for one night if you only want enough juice for lights and to run the slides. We would like to also have the capability of using the TV and other small appliances, so I am considering a two-battery setup. If I was starting from scratch, I think I would get two golf cart batteries, which would give me around 220 amp/hours. Since I already have one 12 volt Group 27 battery, I'll probably just get another like it. That should give me around 200 amp/hours. When these batteries give up the ghost, it'll be time to reconsider. Based on what I can determine, the cost of the golf cart and the Group 27 batteries is about the same. The golf cart battery setup will have slightly more capacity, but will last through more charge/discharge cycles, making them last longer.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Again with the Battery Issue..How do you use your RV.I have this thing about spending $ for things we do not use or need. In our case we DO NOT BOONDOCK and we have NEVER camped in a wall mart or any other lot (at least in a hard side camper)Our battery use is limited to being on the road or between campgrounds. when at home we are on house power. If you will use battery power a lot then the extra $ spent are well worth it.T&C Rv will provide one Group 24 deep cycle battery in the unit (70-85 Amp/hours) I will have two of these installed in parallel. That will serve OUR needs. Actually one would serve our needs but as a old main frame computer guy..I need a backup...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 AM   #26
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Again with the Battery Issue..How do you use your RV.I have this thing about spending $ for things we do not use or need. In our case we DO NOT BOONDOCK and we have NEVER camped in a wall mart or any other lot (at least in a hard side camper)
That sounds like the right decision for your situation, and you can always change your mind later if you want to.

For us, I have pretty much talked myself into two Trojan T105 6V Golf cart batteries. We do occasionally boondock for extended weekends, and overnight at Flying Js. The T105s sound like a reasonable compromise between what we have (Interstate group 24 deep cycle) and the more extreme measures of the dedicated boondockers. As is often the case, it all depends on how you use your rig. This thread has been very helpful. It, along with Glenn's information, made the decision much clearer.

My thanks to all.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:21 AM   #27
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
OntMont, That sounds like a very wise decision for your intended use. Based on my experience with 2 Trogan T-105s I don't think you could go wrong that way.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:32 AM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree that this has been a very usefule thread. Thinking maybe of 2 golf cart batts rather than one 12v.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:35 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..wait till you price them.....ONE 6V Golf cart battery 220AH 176.95 ONE Golf cart Battery 198AH 249.94
I am sure you can find them for less somewhere...But for that expense you had better be using them...'Oh the Trogan T-105 battery mentioned above is a very good battery..Cost locally is 220/230 PER BATTERY... I can get it for 176.95 am on the phone with my friend the Golf pro at a local course.. If you know someone at a Golf course with Like 200 Golf carts ask him to order one more when he orders some and perhaps you can get a break.. I will go with the two 12V Group 24's in Parallel.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 AM   #30
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Something is WAY off here. I just checked yesterday with a supplier in Longview, Texas. Trogan T-105 -- $65.00 each. I was checking for a solar engegy project I have here on the place. For that purpose I decided one deep cycle from WalMart would do. But I bought the two 6 Volt golf cart batteries from this same place when I installed them in our Montana. Seems like I paid $55. then

I expect we are not comparing apples to apples, but I know these apples are fine.

Here is a catalog listing from the WWW:
http://www.newenglandsolar.com/catal.../catalog52.htm

A bit higher than my source locally, but still within the framework.

Here is their description:

TROJAN T-105
6 volts 225 amp-hrs 62 lbs
720-105 Trojan T105 $85
(L) 10 3/8 in. (W) 7 1/8 in. (H ) 11 3/16 in.
The Trojan T105 battery is a top quality battery with glass mats and patented Multi-Rib separators. The Multi-Rib separator provides superior electrolyte distribution, less negative plate expansion, less water usage, reduced positive plate shedding and less maintenance. They also utilize a proprietary paste formula, known as Alpha Plus, which is another key ingredient to long life. Trojan T-105's are simply the best battery of this type and size. In fact, based on the new Battery Council International testing procedures, Trojan's T-105 was 225 cycles better than the next leading brand.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #31
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Padredw, your prices on Trojan batteries are in line with what I'm finding. Other brands are available for a little less, but may not be as good quality as the Trojans. BTW, I understand that to make the amp hour ratings of the 6 volt golf cart batteries comparable to the 12 volt deep cycle batteries, you must divide by 2.(i.e. two 200amp 6 volt batteries equals one 200 amp 12 volt battery.
Bob
Old 02-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #32
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobgay

Padredw, your prices on Trojan batteries are in line with what I'm finding. Other brands are available for a little less, but may not be as good quality as the Trojans. BTW, I understand that to make the amp hour ratings of the 6 volt golf cart batteries comparable to the 12 volt deep cycle batteries, you must divide by 2.(i.e. two 200amp 6 volt batteries equals one 200 amp 12 volt battery.
Bob
I was quoted $67 for Trojan T105's. These are conventional lead acid batteries, the higher prices might be for AGM's.

I am not sure about the amp-hour thing, maybe someone can confirm it for us. My understanding was that an amp-hour is an amp-hour, regardless of the voltage of the source, but I am not certain that is right.

Where we are concerned about battery capacity is when we get caught out in the cold and the furnace has to run a lot. I would not want to freeze up because we did not have the power to run our furnace.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, looking at this website, you may be talking about something similar to the Trojan L16HC, 6v, 395 amp-hrs, 130 #, $209. The T-105 is 6v, 225 amp-hrs, 62 #, $85.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Your are right I was looking at the really good T-105's. tell me again what is the advantage of Golf cart batteries over 12v deep cycle marine batteries..I have never had a problem with 12V deep cycle batteries, Of course we do not boondock and we rarely overnight on batteries it because we will have 4 slides to operate off batteries. Do you no hook up to campground power before you put the slides out. I know that the first thing we do after unlocking the camper doors is to hook up power and water. Right now the Montana we will order will come with NO batteries and we have a choice of what we want..What are the reasons we should get Golf cart batteries over 12V Deep cyscle batteries???
Old 02-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
2, 6v golf cart batt hold more amp hrs than 1, 12v deep cycle.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #36
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
I note the following quotations from one of the links provided by fulltimedreamer:

I've used golf cart batteries, regular batteries and gels. As I'll repeat with more detail elsewhere, golf carts and similar batteries are, all things considered, the best solution. Were I to have to replace my batteries today (they're in the living compartment in a small RV), I'd go with AGM. In a bigger RV, I'd go with golf cart or fork lift batteries.

and:

For over a year, I tested three "sets" of batteries at the same time, using each on alternate days. 2 Sears Die Hards, 2 Goulds ActionPac, 2 Trojan T-105 golf carts. I won't go into detail here. Conclusion was that the Golf Carts were superior in every category (including cost).

And, as I understand it "T-105" is a specific model number in the Trojan line
Old 02-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #37
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
To give a more complete response to the very appropriate question above, I quote from the following web site:

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

A lot of RVers have switched from the "standard" group 24 or 27 12 volt batteries to the larger 6 volt golf cart batteries. If you have room for at least 2 of them, they are a good choice. They are true deep cycle batteries and will last a lot longer than most common 12 volt batteries in your RV. They are physically larger, so you must measure carefully before buying them, but I recommend you use them if you can. I have a set of Trojan Golf cart batteries that are going on 5 years old and they still have almost all of their original capacity. They are priced about the same as (or a bit lower than) the common 12 volt deep cycle battery.

Golf cart batteries have a higher capacity than group 24 and 27 batteries... a pair of group 24 12 volt batteries only provide 140-170 amp/hours of capacity, where a pair of golf cart batteries provide 180-220 amp/hours. There are other deep cycle batteries available, such as the L-16 and AGM types, that are extensively used in large solar and alternate energy systems, but their physical size and added expense make them a less attractive choice for the average RVer.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What... my answer wasn't technical enough? Works for my wife... As a matter of fact, she hates these long scientific explanations, that I sometimes launch into... She just wants a quick, abbreviated explanation... How disappointing.

Thanks, David, for the difference in amp-hrs. I did have a question on that.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #39
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Padredw's quote above is from "The 12 Volt Side of Life", which is a very clear explanation of what you need to know when making decisions about batteries and electrical matters in general. This is a "must read" document as far as I am concerned.
Bob
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will take a tape measure to the battery compartment of the 3400Rl..we see the light..I did some homework via the web. For @85$ per battery considering the advantages of longer life among other Things. I am sure there is information on were and how to install these batteries. I will do a search.
The extra cost of deep cycle 12V Vs Golf cart batteries is not significant..However it still boils down to how you use the RV.