Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #21
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
All batteries gas even AGM or Gell batteries noway around them. If they could not gas and expel the hydrogen build up they would explode. They gas just not as much, thus use the correct charger. If charging them with charger in Monty then they will gas same as your flooded battery does. I cannot get it to add to this post but I have picture of both gel and AGM that gas i can send it to you by regular email if you wish.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If the batteries are completely sealed, how do they expel gas? My Lifeline AGM batteries are completely sealed. They were developed under a Government contract for use in armored tanks. They are supposed to be able to take a direct hit without exploding.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 AM   #23
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
All batteries sealed or otherwise have hydrogen value gas ports that allow the gases to expel, ALL BATTERIES have them.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:34 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

All batteries sealed or otherwise have hydrogen value gas ports that allow the gases to expel, ALL BATTERIES have them.
It's interesting that they expel gas because if they did, I wouldn't have been allowed to have my inverter installed right above the batteries. I examined my batteries yesterday and I can see absolutely no kind of vent or port on the batteries. Am I missing something? Did Xantrex give me wrong information?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #25
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Some folks will tell you what you want to hear for a sale. what type battery do you have in your Monty name brand. if it is totally flat on top look around the edges see if you see a small vent port.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Well, I don't know what to say. My batteries DO NOT have any venting. The following is direct from the Lifeline website:

# Safety: Batteries can be dangerous. They store a tremendous amount of energy, create explosive gas during charge and discharge, and contain dangerous chemicals. Some designs and construction techniques are safer than others are. Both Gel and Lifeline Advanced AGM are sealed batteries that use recombinant gas technology. Lifeline Advanced AGM is more efficient in the AGM process and completes its gas recombination near the plates. In fact, they are the only RV batteries to pass the rigid MILITARY-SPECIFICATION for non-gassing even during severe overcharge. A recent Coast Guard Advisory warned all users of Gel recombinant gas batteries to install automatic temperature compensated voltage regulators to prevent explosions associated with their overcharging. Flooded batteries will spew acid, will definitely spill and leak if tipped over, and they generate dangerous and noxious explosive gases. "Lifeline" Advanced AGM batteries are best at protecting both equipment and passengers.
# Longevity: All batteries die. The number of cycles it takes to kill them is a function of the type and quality of the battery. When cycled at between 25 to 40 percent depth of discharge (recommended deep cycle use) "Lifeline "Advanced AGM batteries will normally easily outlast the other two types.

I had researched this from other sources before selecting these batteries. I am satisfied that Xantrex, the manufacturer of my Inverter would not have told me that these AGM batteries were safe to use in close proximity to my inverter.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:08 AM   #27
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I am not a battery expert but the little bit I know about Gel Cell batteries is that they are primarely used in personel scooters and wheelchairs. I have worked on these some and the makers say that the gel cell batteries are not to be changed out because of the need for indoor charging, they do not emit lead acid fumes that are poisionous and explosive. As used in wheelchairs, in case of getting turned over. There is no spill. Another benefit is they are not harmed by complete discharging. And they seem to discharge evenly and have a lot of amp hours.
I cannot make a recomendation for use in a RV, I simply do not know enough about it, but there is clearly a upside to their use.
Optima makes a dry cell battery that is probably worth looking to.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #28
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I also have a Gel Cell battery in my airplane. It is aerbatic and can go inverted so I don't want acid spilling out. I rarely get over a year's use out of one. And, as has been said, they last better when used often. The a/c charge system does not do a perfect job either. The manufacturer recommends a trickle charge every month or so to top up the battery. I wouldn't even bother with one in the RV.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #29
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I want to run (2) 6 volt batteries but would like to know some brand names some of you are running and where did you buy them?
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #30
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
DCP check out Interstate battery. What you want are 6 VDC golf cart batteries. To get 12 VDC they need to be hooked in series not parallel.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #31
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
DCP in direct answer to your question: I am using 2 Trogan T-105 6 volt 'golf cart' batteries wired in series to produce the 12 volt needed. I am well pleased with this installation.

ADD: I bought these batteries at a local (Longview, Texas) battery store at a very reasonable price.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote