Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Cam Position Sensor

Wow! I hardly had time to move to the side of the road! Thankfully I was not towing and there was no traffic and I just eased the truck to the side of the road. Let me tell you that is scary! One second everything is fine and you're motoring down the road. Next second the engine is simply not running.

This happened yesterday on my way home from my granddaughter's birthday party. So I called triple A and out comes the tow truck. Got the rig home and called my brother. He came down this morning and changed out the CPS for me. Cranked up first time after the exchange. If you have not purchased a spare one of these little guys then do so ASAP. I called around to find one and the first place I called said they could order one for me for a mere $151.00! I told them I'd look around a little more. Next place had one for only $32.00. Thanks to all the good info here on the MOC I knew to look for the lower price.

As stated by others here on the MOC it is a rather straight forward exchange. And we are up and running with a minimum of discomfort thanks to all the good folks here on the MOC.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
To add something here. The absolute taletale that it is the cam sensor is that the tach imediately falls to zero rather than follow the engine down. When you crank the engine over the tach will read cranking RPM if it does not move it is the CPS assuming your tach is working.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Mine died while waiting for a red light to change but the engine re-fired and I was able to get it to a shop for replacement before it quit again.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Denis,
I recently ordered one to keep as a spare for $15.29. Here is the website http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...83&catalogid=0 if you want to order another spare.
They also have fuel filters for $15.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Dennis,
Just curious, how many miles on the truck when the CPS went out?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks for the various comments. I did not think to look at the tach. But the engine would NOT start. It would turn over but nothing would happen.

Jackel1959 we have right at 65K on the truck.

You can bet that I'll be carrying a spare one from now on. Can't imagine being out in the middle of a trip and have this sort of thing happen.

Awaywego thank for the link for replacement parts. I'll probably order a couple.

HamRad
Old 07-16-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, I'm sorry to hear about the problem but glad to hear everything worked out safely.

Trukdoc, or maybe someone else knows the answer to this question. I've heard of the cps being a weak point on the 7.3. But what about other engines. Should those of us with other engines being buying a spare, also? Mine probably has its own weak points, something other than the cps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:29 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dennis, It was good to hear that you got to the side of the road and your repair was quick. How did you know what the problem was? Is it just a Ford thing? How difficult was it to change? And on another note how is the new grandson doing?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
DHenry,

"How did you know what the problem was?"
From what I had read on the MOC Forum I immediately suspected the CPS. And if I had known at the time about the info Truckdoc posted about the tach I would have known for sure. Hopefully there won't be a "next" time. I am going to carry an extra just in case. Especially now that they can be had for a much reduced price. Thanks to Awaywego for the latest location and lowest prices!

"Is it just a Ford thing?"
As far as I know it is just a Ford thing. But perhaps someone who really knows will post some info here soon.

"How difficult was it to change?"
It is not too difficult. My brother ended up on the creepy crawly under the truck. Took him about 10 to 15 minutes. It is pretty straight forward. It is located right at the front of the engine.

And the grandson, Cooper, is doing great! growing like a weed. And the granddaughter, Kaylene, is adjusting pretty well. I think she enjoys being "big sister". Take care.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think it's a 7.3L Ford problem rather than Ford diesel in general, right?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
CPS is the ackeleas heal(sp) for the t444e aka power stroke... I believe each engine has it own... the Cummins there is an issue with the fuel pump, D-Max a sensor on the fuel rail... I truly recommend to all who take the time to look at this forum get involved with a forum specific to your tow rig. There is a wealth of information out there. My personal recommendations are:

As far as changing the cps on a 7.3... you will need a 10 mm wrench.. socket is normally to large to fit. there is a single 2 wire connector, the CPS is located to the left of the crankshaft at about the 10 or 11 o'clock position. It can only come out and go in one way... check E-bay for a decent price...

Ford Guys:
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/
http://nwforddiesel.com/

Dodge Guys
http://www.nwbombers.com/

GM guys

http://oilburners.net/
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the links, Frankenstein. I do monitor a couple of forums for my brand but was not aware of this one.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Mine would not start at the dump station yesterday, and I noticed the wait to start light did not come one so I'm wondering glow plug relay or CPS. Any thoughts? Thanks Roman,
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK, you gear heads, hep us non gear heads out.
Where is this critter, and how hard is it to change out????
The under-hood looks like a foreign country to the Ozzman......
Thanks, Ozz
(I did read the previous posts, but would appreciate further hep..)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
The spare CPS was the first thing I bought when I got my truck after reading about it at the DieselStop.com forum. I keep it in the glove compartment.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
If you check back on page one toward the bottom you will find out all about the location and the "how to change" .
ON EDIT.... Sorry Ozz I did not see that you had already read the previous posts. My brother did the work for me so I never saw the actual change out. But I believe there are two bolts holding the device. Simply remove the bolts and pull out the CPS. My brother had to pry it out using a med. size pry bar. It must fit very snugly because he had to work to push the new one back in. I think it is mostly a matter of just getting the proper angle to work it in. Elapsed time about 15 minutes..... after finding exactly where it was located. Probably took a couple of minutes to actually find it.

Glass Guy,
I noticed that at first the glow plug indicator did not come on. But after sitting for a while it did. In my case the engine would turn over as if it was going to start but would not. As indicated in an earlier post check out the tach. If it is not indicating a reading then that is a perfect indicator that it is the CPS.

HamRad
Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
OZZ: I don't think you'll have a CPS problem with your Sick-O, but for inquiring minds ... on a 7.3 looking from above the radiator there is a serpentine belt pulley right off the A/C bracket ... looking almost straight down, above and to the left of the harmonic balancer you'll see the CPS. From below the radiator, you'll see it on the passenger side somewhat above the timing pointer off the harmonic balancer. As stated .. piece of cake to change with a 10 MM socket / ratchet / extension combo. Remove 2 wire connector ... 1 bolt removes the fork retainer ... sensor pulls straight out. Little oil on the O-Ring on the new sensor ... reverse order to install.

Remember when most of us carried a new set of points and a condenser in our gloveboxes??? IMHO other than the inconvenience of 15 minutes of your time ... it's really a non issue unless you don't have a spare in your glovebox. Like mentioned above, all engines have their little quirks.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, guys. I will have a spare, and this thread in the glove compartment.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #19
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Denis,
I recently ordered one to keep as a spare for $15.29. Here is the website http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...83&catalogid=0 if you want to order another spare.
They also have fuel filters for $15.

Thanks for the link. I just ordered one. I have 95K on my 7.3 without a hiccup! Guess I'm due, so now I'll have one in the glove box.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz - Like dieselguy says, not sure it's an issue on the 6.0. We have to carry extra pistons and stuff in the glovebox.

Reminds me of the HEI GMC ignition systems. Always carried a spare distributor cap as it would fail for no reason anywhere anytime anyplace it felt like it. Easy five minute fix but could be costly as heck if you weren't prepared.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote