Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ike already hit Michigan

Gas prices in the little burg of Tecumseh are always the highest in our county. A couple of days ago they were $3.75. (The lowest we have seen here in Lenawee is $3.69, maybe $3.67).

Today, the price of gas in Tecumseh is $3.95. That is 20 cents in 3 days, give or take.

Disclaimer, I do NOT check prices on the internet, we do not go out and about every day, maybe once or twice a week, so, we really have no idea what the current prices are till we get out on the roads. No, we do NOT drive every day, sometimes we don't drive for 6 to 8 days in a row. So, I can only report what we see when we DO get out!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Fuel prices went up around here by 30 cents both gas and diesel which is amazing since oil has been plunging for weeks as well as gas and IKE has weakened and missed the oil platforms..?????? Oil is down 2.75 and gas 10 cents as we speak???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
It's really sad that gas prices increase due to a potential storm. Soon we could see prices increase if the sun don't shine! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dennis,

WHAT SUN??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Montana_3118
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3118
Central Illinois gas went from 3.55 to 3.90 this morning in about 2 hours. Around here it doesn't creep up it just goes up.
Montana_3118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Possible gouging. Call the appropriate authorities and file the appropriate complaint.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When we arrived diesel was 3.92 in Goshen on August 28th and today it is still 3.92.

I guess Goshen is the place to be right now.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
There has been nothing in the markets/weather (at this point)/OPEC that justifies that 30¢ jump. We need some authority that consumers can ring the bell of quickly and easily and get Feds breathing down their necks right now - no matter how far down the supply chain this artificial inflated pricing is taking place.

Tough to do? Of course. That's what these guys count on. About the first couple times our wonderful governmental watchdog agency knocks on some doors, that should slow many of these unexplained/unsubstantiated jumps.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Look here http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/com...rgyprices.html It is posible that oil will go below 100.00 bbl in the next 24 hours.. The markets are still open and trading in other parts of the world and the price of a bbl of oil is still plunging..It is interesting to see what the price does when our markets are not open..It is a snapshot of how the planet operates without us and the effect our greed has on our market.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Absolutely, Rich! Also check out the NYMEX. After hours trading is always quite calm until the American "players" wake and come on board and start the rodeo. These US traders' "greed games" are pretty obvious just looking at the graphs.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Heah, the gas prices as well as the diesel are still going down in the RGV as of yesterday. Diesel was $3.87 on the way down to SPI. Gas was $3.42. We weren't out today, so can't say if they have jumped. Since this is an area that might have to evacuate, I would hope that they aren't price gouging.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Gas prices in my part of Phoenix, AZ were 3.39 for reg. and 3.79 for diesel as of noon today 9/9/08.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Posted this this AM.....Fuel prices went up around here by 30 cents both gas and diesel which is amazing since oil has been plunging for weeks as well as gas and IKE has weakened and missed the oil platforms..?????? Oil is down 2.75 and gas 10 cents as we speak"

At 9AM this morning both gas and diesel went up over 30 cents a gal everywhere...by 6 PM this evening all the prices were down the 30 cents?? What in the )(&^^%% is going on. A bbl of oil is down to 102.42 as of this time. It has been falling all day as well as all week..so why did the price go up???
Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Very frustrating. Even more frustrating... Ask a station clerk, owner, jobber, wholesaler (saw this on a TV interview last winter) - they ALL give they SAME answer: "We get a phone call..." Everyone down the line says the exact same thing! UNBELIEVABLE!!

Talk about a mafia style layer of protection around this obscure "decision maker". This is unreal. The reporter became very frustrated when he couldn't pin down just WHO THIS GUY, WHO CALLS IN EVERY MORNING, WAS!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Yep, same here in Macomb, Michigan. Took a 30 cent jump at our local Meijer in a matter of a couple of hours. It's now $3.95 but don't know if it went down tonight. This is craziness.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Rich and Dave,

Not sure what models you are looking at, but we are watching the models that are just posting Ike off of Cuba. We will be leaving the RGV,on Thursday morning, for home near Austin Texas until Ike hits on the Texas coast line. So far there hasn't been any price hikes. We were working in the RV today, in the RV, so I can't say for certain that prices went up today.

Not sure who you would report price mark ups to, but post them here and I will gladly report them to the powers to be. Fair is fair. Heck they are charging adjusters $3000.00 for an condo per month on SPI. There isn't anyone on the island. They are begging for people, but choose to inflate prices.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
It sounds like the Manager of the gas companies in your neck of the woods did not appropriate enough of your money in the last time they were jacking the prices that they decided to try again. Here in Ma. the price of diesel is now $4.26. We are heading out on Sunday for the Rally. Hope the prices stablize.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find these price hikes to be a bit strange. The buzz was that the station owners were trying to stabilize profits by raiseing the gas prices. I can remember my days as a pump jockey that you made a couple of pennies off a gallon and you made your money in the back room, lube, oil, filters, tires, batt. tune up, etc. Back then somone came out and pumped your gas checked the oil and even cleaned your window. The station may have had four or more workers that were being paid and the owner made a profit and they did not sell drinks and food and lotto tickets,subs and pizza and all the other junk they have in the food and fuel stops. The new fuel stops only have one or two people on each shift in thses stores to take your money and offer no service of any type. These places make all kinds of money off this junk food and drinks, the fuel is just a draw to get you in.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

When we arrived diesel was 3.92 in Goshen on August 28th and today it is still 3.92.

I guess Goshen is the place to be right now.
Well the bubble has burst.
The $3.92 I was referring to is the tax exempt price. Many RVers figured out how to bypass the system and get that price exempt or not The system was simple, pull up at the truck exempt pump, insert your credit card and pump away. There are many many transporters that are exempt and they use these pumps regularly. So when we pulled in with our TV the folks in the office just assumed we were transporters and let the sale go through. Now if you tried to pay cash you had to go inside. At that point they asked for your tax number. No tax number meant you pay the regular price. So being that RVers aren't dumbies we just used our CC, pumped the fuel, took our reciept and headed on down the hiway and never went inside. Been working the system like that for years.
Well just this week that all changed. Not sure how it works but now the pump asks for your CC billing address Zip Code. When I punched in our Zip code the screen comes up saying "See The Cashier". I know if I go inside they will ask for the tax number so I just pulled over to the Auto diesel pump and paid $4.15.
BTW--$4.15 is still the cheapest price within a 30 mile radius.
BTW#2--This is the Racetrack station just down 33 from the fairgrounds. Many of the MOCers that have been here in previous years know the station I am refering to.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote