Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Fabric softner sheets for bug removal

For those of you that are doing this are you using a brand new sheet that is wet or dry or are you saving the sheets after they have run thru the dryer and then using them wet or dry Thanks Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I wet the surface and give a lite wash as normal with car washing to knock off the big hunks. When wet I take a new dryer sheet and wash off the bugs. I sometimes run water from hose to facilitate the cleaning. Make sure to wash the surface as the dryer sheel leaves a residue if you don't.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We use a new sheet on a wet surface. Like Illapah says, rinse well or you get a residue that is hard to remove.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Someone said last fall to get up early in the morning when the dew is still thick and trust me this helps! I also use thetford black streak/bug remover and it works really well with minimal scrubbing.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have used Simple Green. Put it in a spray bottle and spray on the surface use a brush on the surface the rinse with a hose. If you are in an area with alot of bugs spray Pam on all areas that the bugs will hit then just wash off with soap and waterwhen your trip is over.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I use a new sheet each time I wash the bugs off. Wet the surface and the dryer sheet. Takes off the bugs and black streaks beautifully.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:25 AM   #7
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I use a new sheet 2 or 3 times, then get a new one. Wet the cap and sheet, scrub, wash with RV wash, and rinse.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I use either a new or old sheet, can't tell much difference in the way they work. I just let them float in a warm bucket of water. Wipe the sheet over the bugs to get them wet and then scrub with the sheet and rinse. I can do the entire cap in about 15 minutes. Very easy solution for a sticky problem.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
How do you reach the top of the front cap? Do all or most of you carry a ladder? If yes what size ladder do you carry and where do you store it?

Some how laying on the roof and trying to reach down to clean the front cap doesn't sound very appealing.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Grant...here's what I use: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...20320&src=SRQB

It is 7' long and 3" by 3" when folded. I store it in the basement, far forward, on top of some soft stuff held in place with two bungee cords attached to the forward wall with two hooks.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #11
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Question? Do the dryer sheets harm the Gel Coat finish?

Quote:
quote:BirdingRVer Posted - Apr 02 2007 : 2:43:08 PM
How do you reach the top of the front cap? Do all or most of you carry a ladder? If yes what size ladder do you carry and where do you store it?
Grant, you can use a 7'-9' aluminum step ladder. Some people store it on the rear ladder attached to your Monte. If you don't have a ladder you could stand in the bed of your TV.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Back to that question from Grant: I back the pickup (no need to hitch) just forward of normal towing position, then use a "step stool" which I carry at all times in the bed of the truck to reach the very top of the front cap. I can reach all areas by moving the step stool only once (to the other side of the hitch).

BTW, I use this step stool for many other purposes, including getting up into the pickup bed when I'm hitched (don't ask why!) Inside the Montana it allows me to reach any area of the ceiling needing attention. I can clean my rear windows at campsite using this handy device. I would not leave home without it.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Grant,

To answer a couple more questions....I also have a stepstool ladder that I use in the back of the truck for many jobs like getting in and out of the bed of the truck. Like Cat320, I also have a folding ladder that is 6' long instead of 7', because the bed of the truck is only 6'3", and I am able to precariously reach the higher spots on the 5er, but it is a reach. Sometimes, when washing or waxing, I do it from the roof……just depends on the angle.

I use the dryer sheets on the 5er and the truck without any problems, have not found anything that works better!!!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I think I will start by trying the step stool idea. I need to wash the truck and clean the front of the Montana before the Spring Rally the following weekend.

There is no water, only dust at our storage lot so, washing the Monty is not an option.

We could make washing and waxing my Monty a "group bonding" activity for the rally.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
I found that when I use "used" dryer sheets, they work just as well and do not leave nearly as much residue.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #16
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

I think I will start by trying the step stool idea. I need to wash the truck and clean the front of the Montana before the Spring Rally the following weekend.

There is no water, only dust at our storage lot so, washing the Monty is not an option.

We could make washing and waxing my Monty a "group bonding" activity for the rally.
No water in my storage area either, but if you have enough in your fresh water tank, hook a garden hose to your blue hose and outdoor shower. Pressure is not good, but it works.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I tried using the used ones but they just didn't do the job for me. I use new ones (cheapest brand I can find) and dip them in a bucket of water periodically to keep them wet. Just be sure to rinse off the surface before it dries.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #18
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

No water in my storage area either, but if you have enough in your fresh water tank, hook a garden hose to your blue hose and outdoor shower. Pressure is not good, but it works.

Thanks for the idea Bert but, I always drain the fresh water tank when I put the Montana back in the storage lot. I only have 18 inches between me and the rigs on either side so not sure I could wash the Monty even if I had water in my tank.

I am still hoping that the Spring Rally people go for my "group bonding idea".