Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
IND_DE

M.O.C. #8984
Maiden Voyage - Indiana to Tucson

Hello again to anyone we met at the Goshen, IN Rally in 2006. We were in a Lance truck camper then, just dreaming of a Montana. As it turned out we got a good deal on a Mountaineer 348RLS from a friend and we're very happy with it. It feels like a palace compared to the Lance Lite.

My husband David drove it from Indiana by himself and I flew from NH after getting off work on Thursday. We've been at Catalina State Park all week. It's very quiet and peaceful which is just what we needed.

We'd like to make contact with any MOC members who might be in the area. We're still learning about our RV and know nothing much about the area. Please us know if you're nearby. We'd love to meet you.

David and Debbie Hagerty

IND_DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum and it's great that you could upgrade to more room. Just ask away when you find something you wish to know.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Welcome to the forum David and Debbie!

We loved staying at Catalina State Park last year - it is WONDERFUL. Great sunsets.......

You will also want to check out Gilbert Ray County Park on the southwest side of Tucson. A desert park which is beautiful right near Saguaro National Park and the Desert Museum.

We are volunteering at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument about 2 1/2 hours south west of Tucson. We love it here. If you decide to come down, let us know.

Enjoy this beautiful Southwest!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Oh, forgot to say..... We were also at the 2006 Goshen Rally, we also didn't have a Montana - we stayed in a motel near by. We love our Big Sky and we love the MOC!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
IND_DE

M.O.C. #8984
We never made it out to Organ Pipe, not this time. I miss the desert. I miss Catalina State Park and will always return there for visits. The weather was getting bad and I had a limited amount of time off so we started migrating east. I loved the drive through NM and Texas. It got down to below freezing and we used our electric blanket at overnight campgrounds. We had great Cajun food in Baton Rouge and landed in Lutz, near Tampa, Fl. The Mountaineer has been wonderful so far. David does seem obsessed with trying to get the black tank sensors to be accurate. He's a retired lab supervisor and likes his instrumets to be accurate Oh, only one disaster so far. When backing into our tight spot here he forgot to unhook the slide on his hitch or something and the 5r popped out the truck back window. Duh.
The Mountaineer rocks(both literally and figuratively). I told him we have to go to Camping World or somewhere to get one of those tripods to stop the rocking. Just walking across the room normally makes it feel like you're on a boat in choppy water. I'm already dizzy and don't need any extra!

The Florida weather has been great. Upper 70's, lower 80's. I'm shopping for a screened room to attach to the Mountaineer so we can sit outside in the evenings without mosquitos. They're not all that bad but I think I'd like a screenroom. Advice on that would be appreciated if anyone has any.
IND_DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!" For screen rooms I would look at www.carefreeofcolorado.com, they make quite a bit. For the rocking and rolling, I would skip the tripod thing and go directly to JT stabilizers. They are a system of stabilizer jacks that attach to the bottom of your rig and help stabilize at all four corners. They are a little pricey, but, in my opinion, the only way to help stabilize your rig. Just google them as I don't have a direct website, maybe someone else does.

Hope this helps and welcome to the family of MOCers!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Welcome!
And in the meantime, get a good set of wheel chocks

They will also help stabilize the trailer. They are also a good safety measure. The JT Stabilizers are the better way, but wheel chocks will still help.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Hello and welcome. We also went from a truck camper, to a motor home, to the Montana 5th wheel. Just love the Montana. My husband also went nuts trying to get our sensors to work. Tried flushing the tank hundreds of times, used Calgon, you name it. Finally gave up. They just don't work. Sorry... When we are dry camping he is monitoring the water so I wish they also were more acurate and I could get a shower without the " You know we don't have sewer" statement!

As for the rocking that did bother me also because you have more movement in the 5th wheel than I ever had in other RV's we had. You actually tend to get use to it. As far as the tripod for the front some sware by them others not. I agree, from all that is said by people who have them the JT's are the way to go. Everyone loves them once they get them.

Good Luck and welcome to the website.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Welcome to a Great forum Dave and Debbie!
Here's a site with a real good price for those JT Stabilizers,299.00 plus shipping.
www.dyersonline.com
Put in Search : JT Stabilizers
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote