Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
DIY Hoist

I know that there was a thread a while back about the difficulty of getting heavy items on to the roof, and discussion about building a lift/hoist. Came across this video and it's a pretty ingenious idea. Best I've seen yet.

https://youtu.be/x2L2gXl6RnQ

wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Very clever, thanks for sharing!!

In the future trailer / motorhome manufacturers could offer a "permanent davit crane base" installed on the roof to install a portable davit crane when you need one.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Very clever, thanks for sharing!!

In the future trailer / motorhome manufacturers could offer a "permanent davit crane base" installed on the roof to install a portable davit crane when you need one.
The Davit base would make more sense. What I see in this video are a bunch or red flags. Major OSHA violations. And without knowing more about the devices in use.

1. Ladder is being used for a purpose not intended for. The rungs are designed for the load to be used in compression. The wench is now putting the rung in tension.

2. The Wench is not a hoist. Completely different design with dynamic braking vs load holding hoist real brakes.

3. Ladder is overloaded while he is on it along with the material being wenched.

4. He put his pad on the roof to protect it from the ladder but when he sets that AC unit down on the roof. There is no pad which could tear the roof membrane. The video is not clear on this. Just a thought. . once he is on the roof. There is a 6ft height requirement once he steps off the ladder he should be tied off with fall protection.

I could go on and on. But being on the safety committee at work. This would be flagged and he would be stopped dead in his tracks.

Without all this safety talk. Is it Yankee ingenuity. Yes. Is this a backyard solution, yes. Something I may of done if working in the field alone and for myself, yes.

Would I make a video as a business person showing all the violations, a professional should not do, and post it on the internet, no.

A good candidate video for the comic relief for a safety class. Lets point out all the errors pause rewind and replay after class responses.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhftx View Post
The Davit base would make more sense.............A good candidate video for the comic relief for a safety class. Lets point out all the errors pause rewind and replay after class responses.
Ditto uhftx.........Definitely could be used as a safety training class on ladders. That raises another point....no fall protection per OSHA.

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...ons/2004-03-10
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I just rented this material lift for the first one I replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	6095  
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote