Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
willoco

M.O.C. #25987
Solar mounting - kicking around some new ideas

I'm waiting for delivery of my new high country and started considering how I'd like to mount panels on it. I'm happy that it's solar prepped, since the cabling actually is the hard part.

I put solar on my old RV, at first I used screws (old camper) with aluminum brackets made for the panels and sealed the mounts with eternabond. On my last panel, I simply used pieces of Eternabond on the brackets.

The problem with panels is that mounting them usually sucks. Randomish drill locations for screws, usually you can get 1-2 securely in otherwise you're into whatever decking.

So, this time, I'm looking at adding some rails to the roof.

I was thinking about unistrut, but it seems like overkill. Looking at some van mounts, I started thinking about aluminum....

So, with some poking around I found that 80/20 makes a nice little aluminum channel that looks perfect.
https://8020.net/1050.html

If I run something like 6 foot channels, it'll cost me all of $30 with shipping.

I figure I can run some of these up top, then I can just drill the panel frames and screw them down to the channel. My only concern is how flat the roof is - which really only matter on how far apart I mount these.

Add some anchors and maybe a bead of lap sealant and it should be solid.
As a bonus, I can actually service the panels if needed - cleanly remove them if they break and I suppose I could add tilt mounts if I wanted to.

willoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
willoco

M.O.C. #25987
Here's what got me thinking about this - an overkill van rack made using 8020

Which is documented here: https://creatid.com/news/custom-spri...mize-exterior/
willoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Sounds like a plan. Looks good but is not flexible. Therefore, IF the roof is crowned then you will have to put spacer blocks under and towards the outside edges of your rail to mount. For instance IF you use 1/2inch spacers at the ends, you may need 1/4inch spacers at half the distance from center mounting hole.
There are also flexible solar panels which some catamaran people use.