Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
Inspector
Established Member

M.O.C. #25019
Service

We have a Montana 3121. It is perfect for us. We are getting ready to go full time. Where is the best place for service. We are on the east coast but we can go anywhere . Thanks.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's not an easy question to answer. Most of us have a go to dealer or repair person that we trust. For us it's 4 Seasons RV in Enterprise, KS, Outer Limits mobile repair in Roswell, NM, Camping World in Albuquerque.NM and a few others. Most of us also have lists of places to avoid at all costs. You need to let us know a part of the country where you are looking for someone.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Another question is, what kind of service are you needing on a new trailer?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
My answer for service would be... learn to maintain your RV yourself.. the $$$ amounts charged for labor are sky high.. most issues that arise can be taken care of by the OP with some basic mechanical and electric skill sets...

I’d have to say thing if you must use a service center avoid CW if possible
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
My answer for service would be... learn to maintain your RV yourself.. the $$$ amounts charged for labor are sky high.. most issues that arise can be taken care of by the OP with some basic mechanical and electric skill sets...

I’d have to say thing if you must use a service center avoid CW if possible
Agree, other than a few major appliance issues over the years, have always been able to make repairs myself or with someone else in the campground who knew how to push a wrench. In fact last weekend I helped a neighbor here in our snowbird park add a second air conditioner to his unit. And he and another neighbor helped me pull out our old sofa bed and muscle the new one in last Tuesday. And an occasional inspection/preventive maintenance effort will go a long way in reduced repair requirements. It has been our experience that most campgrounds have mobile RV folks they can recommend if you want to go that route.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
Inspector
Established Member

M.O.C. #25019
Live in North Carolina. Don’t need anything right now, just getting prepared.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been traveling the country since 2006. We always call Keystone customer service in Goshen, Ind. We describe our problem and were we are . They can direct you to the nearest Montana dealer or provide info on mobile RV repair. If in a CG they can help you. We also have emergency road service and use cornerstone for a RV service contract. Weigh stations along the interstates can also help you

That one can do the normal routine maint/ preventative maint on your RV does not mean you will not have a breakdown on the road. We do not carry a full set of tools that can address every breakdown. Some of us due to age or physical conditions can not do much RV repair .Access your individual situation and do what is necessary.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Affinity RV Repair Group in Goshin Indiana. Make a list of what you need done. Email Affinity and schedule it to be done around the Annual Montana Rally in September.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
My recommendation is to find a service ONLY business to work on your rig. With very rare exception SALES dealerships only have a service department to move units off the lot. You may or may not get good service at any given time from a sales dealership. BUT a service ONLY business will by its very nature be faster and 9 times out of 10 better than any other option outside of fixing it yourself. After all their business model is built on making quality repairs quickly. They don't stay in business very long doing shoddy work.

It has also been my experience that the technicians at service only businesses are usually far more experienced and able to think outside the box to fix things and often better than the original factory work (lets hope so anyway)! Most of the technicians I have seen at sales dealerships (the guys actually doing the work not the guy at the service desk) looked to be 20 somethings with almost zero experience.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You might check with your purchasing dealership to find out if they have networked with other dealelrships across the country. If they have not, then they still might be able to help you get a list of reputable dealerships that will honor the same extended service plans, warranties and such. At any rate, it won't hurt to ask them if they have that kind of info.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
My dealer is 150 miles and several hours away hence I have done everything on ours myself. Nothing is myterious, basic mechanics. Most electricals are straight forward too. Needed tools are reasonably priced at Harbor Freight - they aren't pro level but work fine for most DIYers.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Affinity RV Repair Group in Goshin Indiana. Make a list of what you need done. Email Affinity and schedule it to be done around the Annual Montana Rally in September.
Affinity is very good. We live close enough to Goshen/Elkhart to take the Montana there for major repairs. The latest problem we had was the kitchen slide destroying the gear packs. We called Lippert in this case who directed us to a Lippert repair facility 50 miles south of us for the speedy repair.

We have two RV dealers nearby in Ohio who have excellent repair facilities and excellent technicians although I would question them closely for major repair like frame flex repair call Lippert on that..
Old 02-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Don't rule out the mobile RV repair guys. You will definitely want to look at reviews on their work but they will come to you at a campground and are usually great for minor to midlevel repairs. We use one all the time even for some things I could fix myself. If for no other reason than he either has the parts with him or can get them really quick.

Hey Dick weigh in here with that website for mobile RV repairmen.

For Roswell-Carlsbad New Mexico area Outerlimits is a good mobile repair biz.

And always remember that you don't always have to use an RV repairman for everything. In fact if it isn't an RV exclusive system you may well be better off getting a handyman or house biz to do the work. Want to replace flooring? Get a flooring company. Want to repair cabinets get a cabinet shop. Frame issues? get a welder etc etc......

And ultimately there are a LOT of repairs you can do yourself. No better place than right here to get the knowledge. There isn't much you can't repair yourself safely with exception to the actual running gear and even some of that you can maintain with just a little knowledge.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mobile repair service is very good here in Florida as there are many of them and plenty of RV's to get experience on. We are now at the age and physical condition were we can do little in the repair area. We had to have a mobile service inspect and re caulk our RV roof for the first time ever as we no longer trust ourselves on the roof.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Mobile repair service is very good here in Florida as there are many of them and plenty of RV's to get experience on. We are now at the age and physical condition were we can do little in the repair area. We had to have a mobile service inspect and re caulk our RV roof for the first time ever as we no longer trust ourselves on the roof.
Hey Richfaa,
Send me a private message. I am looking at buying some land in Florida to Snowbird on. Would really like to discuss with someone who RVs and lives down there.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #16
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
We are still getting good service out of Tom Johnson’s in Marion, NC. Most of all the ole timers are still there. For us, they always go the extra yard.
Stay away from CW in Statesville.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:47 AM   #17
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Are you talking about service while traveling or just your inital start up????

If traveling and you need service, you won't know what is the best service center for 'that problem' until you have the problem. You could be thousands of miles from your local RV service center back in your state.

Your biggest problem, at times, will be, finding a service center that will get you in in a timely fashion. Some service centers, at times could be several months.

good luck in your travels.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Are you talking about service while traveling or just your inital start up????

If traveling and you need service, you won't know what is the best service center for 'that problem' until you have the problem. You could be thousands of miles from your local RV service center back in your state.

Your biggest problem, at times, will be, finding a service center that will get you in in a timely fashion. Some service centers, at times could be several months.

good luck in your travels.
This is why we call Keystone service center first they can be of great help.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #19
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My first place is the RV Park where I am staying or will stop in that day. I have found the mobile RV techs that I used in Santa Fe, NM, San Antonio, Tx, and Durango, Co to very skilled and have great knowledge. OK--you will probably pay a minimum service charge--$150 + actual work. I find that is better than waiting several weeks for the service department in a RV dealer to be available. The tech I use in San Antonio also works closely with Ancira RV dealership fixing new rigs that breakdown in the area campgrounds.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsusan View Post
My first place is the RV Park where I am staying or will stop in that day. I have found the mobile RV techs that I used in Santa Fe, NM, San Antonio, Tx, and Durango, Co to very skilled and have great knowledge. OK--you will probably pay a minimum service charge--$150 + actual work. I find that is better than waiting several weeks for the service department in a RV dealer to be available. The tech I use in San Antonio also works closely with Ancira RV dealership fixing new rigs that breakdown in the area campgrounds.
Totally agree with this. The mobile techs are almost always the better option. Particularly since you can stay in a campground while they work on the rig. Good for all but the most extreme repairs. And if you have to visit a shop I still say the service ONLY shops will almost always be way faster and better than a sales dealerships service department. The service shops business model is built on getting them repaired as fast as possible and right the first time. Sales dealers make their money by getting new units off the lot and hope to never see them again.