Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2024, 12:45 PM   #1
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Marker Lights On 5th wheel

Marker light visibility.
When we lived on our boat, there were a few times when we came across tug boats towing barges. On several occasions the barge was some 600 ft behind the tug and neither the barge nor the tow cable had lights. Our radar saw the tug and usually saw the barge but not the tow cable. If the barge was less than 6 feet high, our radar wouldn't see it. Had it not been for a radio call from the tug captain, we would have run into the tow cable.
I have a similar concern with the 5th wheel trailer. The side marker lights are pretty small and if the center marker light fails the trailer is less visible.
Has anyone installed additional marker lights on the sides or under the trailer to make the trailer more noticeable at night.

jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I don’t recall this topic ever coming up here in the forum since I have been reading (Jan 2018). I had to look at a pic of mine to see how many side markers I had…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	16858  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:45 PM   #3
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Yep, 3 here also. If you are concerned about that, you could put some DOT reflective tape on your drop frame. It’s Mandated on semi trailers and can be purchased on line or at truck stops. I have some on my pinbox to make the nose of my rig more noticeable at my storage facility as it sticks out further than any other rv in my row. I also have some on the hitch in back, can never have too much visibility back there, especially if your are carrying bikes back there. I have also seen it on slide outs and morryde steps for better visibility when wallydocking. It really lights up when headlights hit it. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5315.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	16859   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5316.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	16860  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 04:56 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've got 3 locations also, actually 4 ... only because I added my Furrion Observation Camera side cameras and if I installed them in the same spot as the original side marker, the baggage door hinge would have blocked half the view. So, I installed them higher, so actually there are 2, one higher and the original up front.

Now, I used the red / white reflective tape on some key places on my Montana also. I put tape on each slide so it could be seen from the front or the back. And I put it on all the slides. I also put the tape on my solid steps also. My camper has a back door on the opposite side. It's uncommon to see a camper with a door on the "other side", so when parked along the side of a road, or even at a truck stop, oncoming traffic from behind just do not see the steps on the passenger side. So the reflective tape down the side of the step does help.

I put some on the rear, under the hitch frame so it can be seen from the rear. But I never thought about putting any in the middle, under the frame.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:33 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Nothing beats LED lights mounted along the frame for night time visibility.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:56 PM   #6
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Thanks to all for the great ideas. I will install reflective tape and LED lights along the frame. My son and brother-in-law are truck drivers and both have had instances where drivers pulled out from side roads and almost hit their trailer because they saw the tractor but not the trailer.
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:29 PM   #7
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxtreme View Post
Thanks to all for the great ideas. I will install reflective tape and LED lights along the frame. My son and brother-in-law are truck drivers and both have had instances where drivers pulled out from side roads and almost hit their trailer because they saw the tractor but not the trailer.
No amount of lights will fix that stupidity. I think stock is fine, but I like chicken lights so would add them if I was worried. Would look cool anyway.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:38 AM   #8
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I like the reflective tape idea.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:17 PM   #9
SuperDuty2
Established Member

M.O.C. #9742
I took off my regular lights and replaced all of them with LED lights, a big improvement. I will add reflective tape in places as well. I think that is a great idea
SuperDuty2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, night time, noticeable