Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Question Needing a new surge protector

We have a Progressive Industries SSD 50XL surge protector. After one year of use it failed and they sent a new one. Great customer service. This was in 2017. The second surge protector has now failed and they are going to send us another new one. Frustrating to us even though they are standing by their limited life time warranty and the replacement isn't costing us anything but wait time on having the new one delivered.

We have decided to look into buying a different brand (we don't want a hard-wired unit) and are open for suggestions. Research tells me that Progressive is the best but surely there are other units that are more reliable.

Appreciate your help.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I had the same problem. I was able to purchase one at a very reasonable price from another MOC member and sent the bad one back and they replaced it. I now carry both for the "just in case" scenario.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I went hardwired - Progressive Industries HEW 50 - taking trip in a few weeks, we'll see - didn't want the potential of leaving it somewhere
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
I had a Surge Guard 50A ( manufactured before company was purchased by South Wire with no lifetime warranty ) go bad about a year ago. I called South Wire as they now have a lifetime warranty and they replaced the old unit at no charge. It does everything I want and digital readout gives the amps and voltage on each line.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I had a Surge Guard from our SOB. When we bought our Montana I installed the progressive Hard wired with the digital readout inside the Rig. I like the fat that it's one less plugin going to the Rig less places problem.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have a hardwired 50A Progressive Industries with a remote read out that I bought in late 2007. It is currently installed in the THIRD Montana and has saved us a few times but has never skipped a beat. I will stick with PI.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslopez65 View Post
We have a Progressive Industries SSD 50XL surge protector. After one year of use it failed and they sent a new one. Great customer service. This was in 2017. The second surge protector has now failed and they are going to send us another new one. Frustrating to us even though they are standing by their limited life time warranty and the replacement isn't costing us anything but wait time on having the new one delivered.

We have decided to look into buying a different brand (we don't want a hard-wired unit) and are open for suggestions. Research tells me that Progressive is the best but surely there are other units that are more reliable.

Appreciate your help.

I know you say you don't want a hardwired unit, but if you are wanting something that will really protect your rig, you can go with a portable EMS device, which will protect from more than a surge, which is less of a hazard than high or low voltage or a lost neutral, which any of these will cause you a loss of a lot of dollars from your wallet. We have the hardwired EMS which is really a top notch product. This is the portable one from Progressive, https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have used the Progressive EMS portable for the last 9 years of full timing. Had one fail after 7 years and they replaced it. I didn't feel like 7 years of full timing, over 70,000 miles and numerous saves from bad wiring or low voltage was all that bad. We now have two years and over 20,000 miles on the new one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullroc3 View Post
I had the same problem. I was able to purchase one at a very reasonable price from another MOC member and sent the bad one back and they replaced it. I now carry both for the "just in case" scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
I went hardwired - Progressive Industries HEW 50 - taking trip in a few weeks, we'll see - didn't want the potential of leaving it somewhere
Thanks for the reply but we aren't interested in the hardwired variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
I had a Surge Guard 50A ( manufactured before company was purchased by South Wire with no lifetime warranty ) go bad about a year ago. I called South Wire as they now have a lifetime warranty and they replaced the old unit at no charge. It does everything I want and digital readout gives the amps and voltage on each line.
Thanks for the information. I will look into the Surge Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I had a Surge Guard from our SOB. When we bought our Montana I installed the progressive Hard wired with the digital readout inside the Rig. I like the fat that it's one less plugin going to the Rig less places problem.
Still not interested in hardwired but glad it is working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
I have a hardwired 50A Progressive Industries with a remote read out that I bought in late 2007. It is currently installed in the THIRD Montana and has saved us a few times but has never skipped a beat. I will stick with PI.
Glad you haven't had any problems. They seem to be a great company but there products have some problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I know you say you don't want a hardwired unit, but if you are wanting something that will really protect your rig, you can go with a portable EMS device, which will protect from more than a surge, which is less of a hazard than high or low voltage or a lost neutral, which any of these will cause you a loss of a lot of dollars from your wallet. We have the hardwired EMS which is really a top notch product. This is the portable one from Progressive, https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x
I have looked at the link you provided. Thanks. Will have to decide if I want to pay that much when I have had so many problems with the SSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We have used the Progressive EMS portable for the last 9 years of full timing. Had one fail after 7 years and they replaced it. I didn't feel like 7 years of full timing, over 70,000 miles and numerous saves from bad wiring or low voltage was all that bad. We now have two years and over 20,000 miles on the new one.
Thanks for the response. Guess we will be giving that one another look.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Good advice from other MOCers. I just glanced out the window at our 13 year old Surge Guard that is still working great! Best advice is to get one and use it.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just got an email advertisement from Makarios RV about a new surge protector that may be just the thing you might be interested in. https://www.makariosrv.com/hughes-po...SGlDVXJWIn0%3D
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #12
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsusan View Post
Good advice from other MOCers. I just glanced out the window at our 13 year old Surge Guard that is still working great! Best advice is to get one and use it.
Have one and use it but it keeps failing.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #13
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Just got an email advertisement from Makarios RV about a new surge protector that may be just the thing you might be interested in. https://www.makariosrv.com/hughes-po...SGlDVXJWIn0%3D
Thanks so much for the info Bob. This sounds like it might be better than the PI one. I really appreciate your taking the time to send the link.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just something to consider with a Portable unit, they do nothing to protect a possible fault in your Anaconda Cable.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #15
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just something to consider with a Portable unit, they do nothing to protect a possible fault in your Anaconda Cable.
Yep you are correct! I had a cable go bad and it saved me. I installed mine after the transfer switch to protect against Genny problem also.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #16
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
Yep you are correct! I had a cable go bad and it saved me. I installed mine after the transfer switch to protect against Genny problem also.
Thanks for the info. Something to consider for sure.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #17
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
This is an excellent product.

http://https://hughesautoformers.com/voltage-boosters/
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #18
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Your link is broken (most likely the double http and https). I did look up the transformer but it is prohibitively expensive. Thanks for taking the time to provide the information.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #19
nemesis45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18648
I don't like of a hard wired unit failing and getting back in there to remove it and hook the wires together while on vacation 1000 miles from home
nemesis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #20
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
I've never owned a surge protector on any RV that we've had, and knock on wood, we haven't had any electrical issues.

In doing research for the new RV, I ran across the Surge Guard 34950 surge protector from this video: (at about 2:40)

and this video (at about 2:10, better job explaining in this video)

It indicates, and so does the Surge Guard website, that they have load monitoring for issues. Wouldn't this monitor the anaconda cable as well since it's on the load side?

Just trying to figure out what unit I need / want. I don't know that I have "easy" access to my line in, to use a permanent unit...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote