Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #21
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
O.K. I'll agree with ya on that one Sambam about Sell,Sell,Sell and the not what it used to be Customer service etc..,But I sill think we get a lot of Newer Forum members on here like ya said that just join to Vent and I get it,But I still do not agree with this Forum being a fair gauge on Owners satisfaction there is just not enough of us ,when Montana starts going down the Dumpster in sales and no repeat buyers I will believe the Quality is Junk,and IMO Rich the Nielson ratings were always a crock of
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

Glad you're having good luck with yours Jimmy. Unfortunately, it seems most of the new members signing on here are experiencing problems with their units. Maybe only people with a gripe join this forum. It's a source to air it out. But, I think the problem goes back to Keystone and the fat cats that make the decisions there. All the small manufacturers are gone, eaten up by the Keystones and Forest Rivers of the RV world. Attention to detail is no longer their concern. The end-user is the quality control department. Problem is, we don't know we have a problem until we use the unit, and now it's camping season. So, we lose the time camping while our unit sits on a dealers lot waiting for parts from the manufacturer that seems to be in no hurry to help you out. Sell! Sell! Sell! That's the mantra. I owned a Sunline 15 years ago and when I had a question, I could call them and speak to an owner. Try that with Keystone. Bunch of shareholders no doubt who don't know the first thing about RV'ing. To sum up my rant, it's caveat emptor.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #22
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
I can see both sides. I fully agree that the quality has gone down hill a bit. I have only owned 2 Montys over 9 years and I have had very good luck with both of them. I had the common slide voltage regulator problem with my first one that was easily fixed. I had that one 6 years and had no other issues with it. I have had my current one for 3 years now and the only issue so far was an easily fixed hot water heater thermostat. I can see a difference in workmanship between the 2 5ers, but I am not sure that is just a Keystone/Montana thing. The quality of workmanship I am talking about is just plain sloppy work and lack of attention to detail (screws that missed their mark, left over building scrap and things of that nature). I believe the pressure is on all RV manufacturers to pump them out and sell them as fast as they can. The people working on the production lines are under all sorts of pressure to work faster, not necessarily better. I also believe that it is human nature to go on to forums (all kinds of forums) and talk about bad luck rather than good luck. When new folks come on here they are most often looking for answers about how to fix something or how to handle a particular issue. Not too many folks come by here to just to say "hello, everything is going great!". Because of that I believe we are sometimes lulled into a more negative mind set. Just my 3 cents (inflation). -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Glen I think you got it. You hit the nail right on the head.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #24
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I have had a fair number of things, a few that I won't mention, but even knowing ahead of time of my issues...I still would have bought it. Because I believe all manufacturers are jumping through hoops and putting out some things that shouldn't make it out of the factory. I think keystone did a great job on the design of the 3800re with exception of using a frame with a tad of flex in the gooseneck area and entertainment doors blocked by the couch (fixed by making them into bi-fold doors). We love the unit even with its warts! Execution of the build could have been better. Buying another...don't have the money to do that. John
Old 09-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
It's not just the Montanas, folks. It's the SOBs also. In fact the quality of Montanas may have held on a little longer than the others, but it appears that over the past few years Keystone has finally succumbed to the "next quarter profit" syndrome. It's the entire RV industry - some manufacturers a little less than others, but most are still affected. There were a few hold-outs, but they are gone now. The holdouts went bankrupt because they had to charge more for better quality, mainly because of labor costs, and the lure of high profits for a shoddy product, I suspect.

The American auto manufacturers got it handed to them in the 80s by imports that offered a higher quality for roughly the same price. The imports were innovative, their workmanship was better, their manufacturing tolerances were tighter, and their cars were more reliable. That was appealing to consumers that were willing to even pay a little more that increase in value. The American manufacturers have come a long way since then.

The RV industry is ripe for what happened to the auto industry in the 80s. Someone will come in to the industry and start manufacturing a better quality unit and again teach the American manufacturers a lesson. They will then have to improve their product, or else.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:00 AM   #26
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Excel, the original Hitchhiker, sunline are examples of companies making great products and now out of business. Some brands have been reinvented and standards of those lines are not like the products of old. Some high quality units out there, example New Horizon, but the MRSPs run $150 and up.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #27
wjwheeler
Established Member

M.O.C. #14149
I appreciate the honest sharing on this forum. We backed out on buying a new one because of all the problems. It's sad when the new ones are having the same problems as mine. It's a sorry testimony for a company that can't solve tank issues in over seven years!I'll deal with my used one, the problems and dealing with trying to get extended warranty work done.
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #28
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Yesterday we spent many hours at the largest RV show in our area, we were in and out of many RV's and just about as many manufacturers. The largest dealer and also the Montana dealer had only two Montana's on display, a 3720 and 3780, however they had several each of other brands they sell.
I looked very closely at the 5th wheels we were in, some lower priced and some a tad more than the Montana's, sadly the worst workmanship showed on the Montana's. Here is just a quick sample of one of the pictures I took to show what appears to be now happening at Keystone.

You do not have to look very close to see the way the nails were covered up, this was in a most obvious spot and to me shows that no one is doing their job anymore.

Like others I will not be trading up to a new Montana, I still like the floor plan we have and I think I have all the bugs out now. If only Keystone would come through and fix the roof edges I would be much happier, but that is another subject.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #29
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
This particular thread is one Keystone should read. We are pretty satisfied at this point with our 2015. Thank God we are repeat customers from a reliable dealer who struggled with Keystone for 12 months before everything finally worked correctly,
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #30
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Never thought in a million years I'd be saying this but, we are in the same boat. There are 7 issues on our unit that need repaired under warranty. A couple of others, I have repaired myself. It seems I can get no phone calls back from my dealer or Keystone Customer Service. So, here is how it will happen.

Keystone Customer Service has already told me that once I have the issues repaired, I will have to pay the bill my self out of pocket. Then, I am to hand deliver it and they will reimburse me. If, that does not happen, Gail and I are going shopping and this Montana will be going away!

Being retired from the other huge RV maker, I could have purchased any of their brands at dealer cost. A Cedar Creek might be in our possession by this time next year.

Oops!! I gave it away!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote