Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Exhaust Brakes

New guy here. Only took delivery of our 3555RL on Saturday.

Had a BD exhaust brake installed yesterday and so far I really like it. My question is..."Can I leave the brake switched to the ON position all the time or is it prudent to turn it off when not towing?"

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
Montana_2953
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2953
We have the Gayle Banks Sys. and we leave it on all the time. Haven't heard any different. So who knows? Someone else will be along to post another answer or even another question...So just hold on and we will get you a GOOD answer!
Montana_2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 AM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Virgil47,
welcome to the MOC! We have the BD brake on our 2500HD Duramax and really think that it works well. The installer, STC Performance in Downey CA, told us not to leave it on unless it's in use, and my experimenting with it has proven that to be the case. I only engage it when I want the extra stopping power. One thing I've notice that it does is to prevent the EGT from dropping as quickly when it's in use. I believe this is because it partially blocks the exhaust pipe (which is how it controls the braking) and limiting the exhaust flow keeps it hotter. If you are running solo, you really don't need it. You may want to check with your installer to see what they recommend, my guess is that they'll say engage only when you need it. Good Luck!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Virgil!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Bill, your advice is solid. I checked out the EGT theory today and it does tend to stay hotter longer when the brake is engaged. Thanks again for your response. I'm going with the on and off plan.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
I don't have an exhaust brake yet, but from what I've read, if you leave it off when not towing, at least operate it occasionally (if it's long interval between towing) to keep the flapper from sticking due to carbon/soot buildup.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by palebluedot

I don't have an exhaust brake yet, but from what I've read, if you leave it off when not towing, at least operate it occasionally (if it's long interval between towing) to keep the flapper from sticking due to carbon/soot buildup.
I have the US GEAR brake. It automatically cycles the brake twice during startup to keep things moving freely.

I also favor US GEAR since their brake doesn't bolt onto the side of the turbo housing. As I understand it, when you really flog the engine, the housing material on the turbo will almost get translucent. I'd prefer to not hang an extra 6-12lbs of mass on the side of that....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
The BD brake is installed in the exhaust pipe after the turbo, almost under the passenger seat (on the GM products). The other component (I think it's the actuator) is installed on top of the engine, not near the turbo. Yes, it's a good idea to run every so often if you're not using it to keep it loosen up.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote