Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2023, 04:59 PM   #1
JCJ757S
Established Member

M.O.C. #26483
Help With Insurance

I've been searching for insurance on our 2007 Keystone Montana 3500-RL. Good Sam has had us at $110.00 a month.

Our car, 2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 has been through Gieco at $200 a month for full coverage. $500/$500 collision and comprehensive state minimum for coverage body injury etc.

Still have a loan on our Genesis.

I am frustrated and blown away by other people's quotes. My Husband is 40 and I am 38-year-old female. Neither one of us has any tickets or accidents. Knock on wood. Good credit. Continuous insurance.

We are paying out the ass and I have tried shopping around and not getting any cheaper rates. Looking for advice. Thank you.

JCJ757S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:25 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Find an independent agent that can quote you from multiple different companies. Your insurance does seem high.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don’t choose insurance based on lowest price only. Make sure to thoroughly check fine print, understand exactly what is covered and what is not, and check reviews on customer satisfaction on the claims process. Last thing you want is to find yourself fighting the company to get them to pay a claim.

We have had State Farm for 40 years on our houses, vehicles, RV, and some remote property we owned. Have had numerous claims from small to quite large over the years and SF never questioned any claim and paid all very quickly. Not the cheapest, but not having to be concerned about coverage has kept us with them all these years. Although the faces have changed at the local agency over the years they have always been very friendly and responsive. Not trying to push SF. Just saying make sure to get something you will ultimately feel good about.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:50 AM   #4
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Insurance rates vary greatly from state to state and even within different regions in the same state. You are correct, your driving record and even your credit score affect your rates.

I'm in total agreement with AZ Traveler your best bet might be an independent agent that can compare between several different companies. Some insurers offer a discount if you package your rolling stock and home owners policies. A local agent should also add a contact person if you have trouble contacting the insurance company.

All insurance companies are good so long as you are paying your premiums, better still if you sign up for auto withdrawal from your bank account and they don't have to waste time with sending you a bill, and a human having to open an envelope and process your check. The true test of an insurance company is when you have a claim; how quickly can you actually speak to a human and how quickly they respond to servicing your claim.

I recently fired Farmers for their complete lack of customer or claims service and the fact they raised my home owners premium by 34%. It only took them 4 weeks to mail me my refund. It might not bother other people, but when I see an insurance company paying naming rights to an NFL stadium, NBA arena, golf tournament, race car, or paying a celebrity to do their ads on national TV it has a very negative impact on me. If they can afford those things, why can't they hire enough customer service people to answer the phone within a reasonable amount of time and can speak my native language (english), or at a minimum help control costs to their customers?
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:29 PM   #5
JCJ757S
Established Member

M.O.C. #26483
Thank you, I agree on not going with the cheapest. My father was an Insurance Adjustor for over 40 years. He doesn't understand why our rates are so high either. This has been a battle for us. My husband and I have had no claims on our records so its very strange that we are getting hit this hard. Thank you for your help.
JCJ757S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #6
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
We just switched to Miller Insurance. They beat our AMFAM coverage for our RV and the cost was very similar with better coverage for fulltime use. They put us in Progressive. They have many insurance companies to choose from. And truck policy was less for same coverage. I've heard a lot of good about Miller Ins.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Been with All State most of my life and they have everything covered for us, House, auto, RV, and even a small life insurance policy. They might not be the cheapest, but they are wonderful with claims.

The real surprise was when a total stranger appeared at our house and said we could get a new roof for our house and all it would coast is our deductable. And they'd adjust the price so we wouldn't even have to pay that. Said, there were hail damage from a few week earler (yes we had hail), but didn't think anything about.

Our roof was probably over 20 years old and in need of a make over. Never had the money to do it, so I'd been patching shingles myself for years after every wind storms.

We had nothing to loose, and I couldn't believe what they were saying. They did the estimate, submitted everything to All State and 2 weeks later we they started work on a new roof. The total cost was $14,500 and they were right.... we didn't pay a single penny. They fudged the $500 deductible. Never in a million years would I have expected anything like that. It truly was a God sent because we really needed a new roof and it's time was getting really, really short.

So, for all those years we'd been paying insurance to All State, this one single solitary claim make all those payments worth it.

And oh, we have had a few fender benders (not many, but a few), and they were magnificent on the claims and the repairs, as long as we took the vehicle to their authorized body shops.... which are all good.

As other's stated above, the "cheapest" premium price might not be the best "insurance" if their claims is difficult to work with.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:15 PM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If you’re in Eureka, CA, that’s why. We crossed the state line and the rate went down 2/3.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
If you’re in Eureka, CA, that’s why. We crossed the state line and the rate went down 2/3.
If you look at their profile it is Eureka, MO SW of St Louis.

Old 04-09-2023, 01:09 PM   #10
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Been with All State most of my life and they have everything covered for us, House, auto, RV, and even a small life insurance policy. They might not be the cheapest, but they are wonderful with claims.

The real surprise was when a total stranger appeared at our house and said we could get a new roof for our house and all it would coast is our deductable. And they'd adjust the price so we wouldn't even have to pay that. Said, there were hail damage from a few week earler (yes we had hail), but didn't think anything about.

Our roof was probably over 20 years old and in need of a make over. Never had the money to do it, so I'd been patching shingles myself for years after every wind storms.

We had nothing to loose, and I couldn't believe what they were saying. They did the estimate, submitted everything to All State and 2 weeks later we they started work on a new roof. The total cost was $14,500 and they were right.... we didn't pay a single penny. They fudged the $500 deductible. Never in a million years would I have expected anything like that. It truly was a God sent because we really needed a new roof and it's time was getting really, really short.

So, for all those years we'd been paying insurance to All State, this one single solitary claim make all those payments worth it.

And oh, we have had a few fender benders (not many, but a few), and they were magnificent on the claims and the repairs, as long as we took the vehicle to their authorized body shops.... which are all good.

As other's stated above, the "cheapest" premium price might not be the best "insurance" if their claims is difficult to work with.
Thanks, I have been shopping around. I will give Allstate a try
laprezgpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:13 PM   #11
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Go on-line and you can get a quote from Progressive. I have been shopping around, and so, far, they are the best. The quote process was pretty easy. Another possibility is Roamly for the RV. I got a good quote price from them. At this point, I am looking at Progressive for the house and cars and Roamly for the RV.
laprezgpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:58 PM   #12
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
We also have a 2007 Montana 3500RL and love it.
Our insurance fir the Montana us Foremost insurance. Try them for a lower rate. We live in California and it seems reasonable.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:05 PM   #13
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Our 2004 3295RK is insured full coverage, not to exceed 12K (my stated value) for just under $200/year through Auto Owners. They do have all of my other insurance business as well so there is a multi-policy discount involved.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:32 AM   #14
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
We had insurance on our 2018 Silvercreek with T****lers Insurance at a reasonable fee...Had a claim and they paid up!!! Traded that unit for a 2021 Montana 5er..Called to ask some questions re a possible water claim and they refused to honor a claim.....When renewal time came around they refused to renew saying our unit was over the $125,000. limit. Now paying $3,000. for our unit sitting full time on a lot.
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:26 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’m self insured. If something goes wrong with my camper I fix it. My HC is a 2011 model. It’s not worth carrying insurance on. But then I didn’t insure it when it was newer.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:32 AM   #16
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’m self insured. If something goes wrong with my camper I fix it. My HC is a 2011 model. It’s not worth carrying insurance on. But then I didn’t insure it when it was newer.
Lynwood
After Covid and the rush of campers buying units our unit has soared to over $155,000..+++.....Far to much to not insure..fire for example!!!!
Old 04-10-2023, 09:53 AM   #17
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
I see in your profile you are fro Missouri and living in trailer full time.
Insurance rate vary by state so be cautious hearing quotes elsewhere.
As full time the basic RV policy won't cover you and must have policy showing as full timer policy more like regular property and liability coverage normally found on a stick and brick home. This of course will be more than that found for traditional RV use.
Google RV fulltime insurance you may find agents specializing in your needs.

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:16 AM   #18
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
After Covid and the rush of campers buying units our unit has soared to over $155,000..+++.....Far to much to not insure..fire for example!!!!
Jim,

With the glut of rigs post Covid your value has likely gone down a bit.

Old 04-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #19
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder75 View Post
I see in your profile you are fro Missouri and living in trailer full time.
Insurance rate vary by state so be cautious hearing quotes elsewhere.
As full time the basic RV policy won't cover you and must have policy showing as full timer policy more like regular property and liability coverage normally found on a stick and brick home. This of course will be more than that found for traditional RV use.
Google RV fulltime insurance you may find agents specializing in your needs.

Missouri?????? NO..... Halifax Nova Scotia Canada....Summer hangout on the salt water!!!!! J
Old 04-10-2023, 12:49 PM   #20
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Couple things
1) Pull your current coverages together, blank out the costs, use that information to get competing quotes (enables apples to apples comparisons, also lets you see if you have the correct coverages, are you over/under insured)
2) Get quotes, independent agents will be able to quote several different carriers
3) Get more quotes

You will see significant cost differences
Your location matters significantly; you can't really compare across zip codes.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote