Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
Scrim Shield Tape

Scrim Shield Tape. Anybody use it to tape scuffed or torn Darco (tarp like stuff used on the bottom of slideouts). Can it get snagged by the slide strip the room slides over when the room is opened or closed?

geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Interesting product! I had not heard of it before (so obviously I haven't used it) but I am looking for something to repair wear spots on the slide bottom.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm in the same boat, but interested in the product. If you do use it, please report back on how it went.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I used Scrim to repair Tire Blowout Damage successfully
However for a recent small tear, I think I'll try Duct Tape first
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Charles-- If you go with the duct tape use the Gorilla Tape and you'll be much happier with the results and the Gorilla Tape is stronger and sticks better than regular duct tape.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Thanks,
I've got some Gorrilla Tape I was planning to use - appreciate your advice!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
Gorilla tape is probably a bit thicker than scrim shield tape. Thus my concern about it getting hung up on the slider bar when the room goes in and out and creating a much bigger problem than the scuff marks I'm trying to resolve. Also the adhesive on scrim shield is supposed to be much "stickerer" (according to folks I spoke with at AP Products). That's the reasoning behind me not using my Gorilla tape. Anyway, I'm ordering a roll to try. Will report back with the good, bad and the ugly later.
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Gorilla tape is probably a bit thicker than scrim shield tape. Thus my concern about it getting hung up on the slider bar when the room goes in and out and creating a much bigger problem than the scuff marks I'm trying to resolve. Also the adhesive on scrim shield is supposed to be much "stickerer" (according to folks I spoke with at AP Products). That's the reasoning behind me not using my Gorilla tape. Anyway, I'm ordering a roll to try. Will report back with the good, bad and the ugly later.
If I was just trying to resolve scuff marks, I wouldn't. Sometimes the cure can cause more problems than the illness.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Just ordered some off of Amazon. I will try this to address an area of Darko wrap on one of our slides I noticed at the spring rally. Looks like it should do a good job of keeping out moisture. I will follow up with feedback once we get back home.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Gorilla tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Charles-- If you go with the duct tape use the Gorilla Tape and you'll be much happier with the results and the Gorilla Tape is stronger and sticks better than regular duct tape.
I found that Gorilla tape does not like hot weather or direct sunlight. It is stronger but I have not been that happy with it for the price
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
Scid

M.O.C. #14192
I have used Scrim tape to repair tire damage and have had no issue with the slide going in and out. It is incredible stuff and almost impossible to get back off. It also works very well to seal up the coraplastic if you have to cut it open for some reason. The tape has been on 3 years + and we FT so it is opened and closed a lot. Scrim tape has fibers in it almost like filiment tape. Gorilla tape, in my experience does not like heat as was mentioned before. Duct tape just doesn't last very long. Scrim tape is what the shops use.
Scid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
racquetballfreq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10395
Send a message via AIM to racquetballfreq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scid View Post
I have used Scrim tape to repair tire damage and have had no issue with the slide going in and out. It is incredible stuff and almost impossible to get back off. It also works very well to seal up the coraplastic if you have to cut it open for some reason. The tape has been on 3 years + and we FT so it is opened and closed a lot. Scrim tape has fibers in it almost like filiment tape. Gorilla tape, in my experience does not like heat as was mentioned before. Duct tape just doesn't last very long. Scrim tape is what the shops use.
Scid,

I looked on Amazon for this tape, but of course, had a few choices. What kind did you use? TIA
racquetballfreq is offline   Reply With Quote