Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Fresh Water Tank And Iron Content In Water

Hi all,

I just brought home a used 2004 Montana 3295RK and am going through it now, actually moving things in out of our last trailer, washing everything up, and before winterizing the unit I am in the process of "shocking" the fresh water system with bleach (not knowing where it's been)!

The PO did not have the Montana very long, so he could provide little answers as to the history of the rig. He just used it to live in while he built a new home on his property. He did not use the on-board system, rather just hooked up to city water.

All of the water lines (clear PEX) are stained orange from iron. So is the detergent cup on the Splendide washing machine. The fresh water talk monitor shows "Full" even when it is empty, so that got me to wondering about the condition of the inside of that tank. If it's stained with rust like the water lines are, I imagine that iron oxide conducting current and giving me the false reading on that tank. Most of the trailers I have owned over the years, that is the one tank where the monitor actually works fairly well.

Here is my question. Does anyone know of something to put in a potable water tank to clean some of that iron oxide out (if there is any) short of the bleach solution I am using to shock it, or perhaps vinegar?

Also, do any of you have any idea how to get access to the tank on that model? The pump is in a curio cabinet and so is the fill / city water assembly from the road side of the rig. The furnace is immediately below that stuff. I wonder if I pull the furnace if I could see the tank / monitor connections?

Will do some digging, but maybe one of you have been there with this, or a similar model?

Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Iron Out works on plastics and also vinegar works on iron removal.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

Iron Out works on plastics and also vinegar works on iron removal.
I was wondering about Iron Out. I wonder what concentration one would mis for a 64 gallon tank for a good long soak? Then... How many rinses would it take? I wonder what the long term concerns would be? (drinking water)

Maybe I'll shoot a note out to "Iron out" and ask them!

Thanks for the suggestion!
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote