Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
2015 Ford limped home again: Final Resolution!

For the second time in 5k miles the Ford all but died. She's less than a year old with less than 15k miles. Same thing as last time. Driving along, not towing, and "ding" check engine light, "Reduced Power" warning and high pitch whine coming from under hood.

Love the truck but coming from a vehicle that didn't need repairs until the 70k mile mark (torque converter) then one other time at around 100k for front end rebuild. I'm starting to worry and trying not to be Negative Nancy but the sting is a bit too sharp right now. Whine went away by the time I made it to dealer, just like last time. I suspect I'll get the same answer "We can't find a problem, but we reset the CEL and we are running a fuel analysis" i.e. anybody else's fault but ours, yep that's Negative Nancy speaking again. Last time I had them change the fuel filters 5k miles early for the heck of it. Not interested in changing fuel filters every 4k miles.

Heading to Mexico in a week. Don't need a flakey vehicle south of the border. Starting to miss my Ram. She lacked the creature comforts and couldn't compete with the Ford when towing but at least I could depend on her.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sounds like a "Lemon Law" claim to me! If they can't figure it out make sure they get you another that DOES work correctly!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Not sure this qualifies under the Lemon Law just yet but I will be notifying Ford directly on Monday to meet notification requirements in the event I need to go that route.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #4
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
David there's no reason to fret. It could be something simple as a lose turbo hose loose. Some guys on the WWW.powerstroke.org are complaining about shudder and not being able to drive the truck then it goes away. I wouldn't worry until the dealer has a chance to look at it. if it happens again I would take it to the nearest dealer. Make sure that they document what is happening and if its not your servicing dealer have them send the information to them. Don't loose faith.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is not a fuel problem. High pitched whine sounds like a turbo problem. Loose hose maybe but if it's a loose hose why would I not do it all the time. Unless you were under a hard pull and the the hose should have come off and sounded like a shotgun went off. I think turbo. How much power did it have? Would it barely get out or it's own way? Was there any smoke behind the truck? All of these questions would indicate a turbo problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I'm thinking that they need to install a monitoring device into the obd port and have you drive until it happens again so that info is captured by something other than the truck computer system. Good luck, hard not to be discouraged when gremlins happen. John
Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
It would be much easier to be positive had they given me Jaguar or something to drive around town in instead of this silly Sentra. LOL, JK.. It will all work out or I'll end up with another vehicle. I just don't look forward to the headaches between now and then should they arise. I like the idea of a recording device. I'll ask if they don't have a solution.

Just dawned on me, both times this happened I was driving uphill. We aren't talking mountains but short 6% grades. I didn't "get on the gas" but obviously I gave it a bit more juice.

MLH
Not much power left after the reduced power notice. Seat of the pants says I lost 2/3s power. It certainly didn't like going uphill anymore.
No obvious smoke but I didn't get a view from the tailpipe.
Turbo was my first thought as well. I've read some of the Turbo A vs Turbo B stuff on the 15s not sure which one I have.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Don't feel bad when I took my F150 in they gave me a Focus. I would almost rather walk. I wonted a GT 350 Mustang but that required a down payment of about 70K.
Lynwood
Old 10-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Is there any way it could be something simple like a lack of DEF?

I did have a turbo hose come off one time and simply hooked it back up and all was fine. Lost about 70% - 80% of power.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Def is full. Just topped off a week or two ago. I found a video on youtube of the noise which somebody said was the high pressure pump. Now that I've found other videos of turbo noise i'm pretty sure it isn't the turbo. Unfortunately the noise is short lived and gone by the time the truck gets to the dealer. They were supposed to call today. By the time I got around to calling them service was already closed. Oh well. We'll see what Monday brings.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Truck will go into limp mode if no DEF.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
davidaf: Does it make a whining noise after you shut the engine off? I listened to the YouTube video and my 2011 was making the same type of noise and after I turned it off it made a whining noise. But my engine never went into limp mode.

I took it in and when the service writer went in to get the diesel mech to come a listen to it only the service writer returned. He said that the diesel mech know what it was without even listening to it. He said that it is a known issue with the 6.7L.

Per the work order they: Installed BC3Z 9D430 E: Connector - Vacuum Hose. Replaced Vacuum Harness per TSB.

As you know, if there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out on it this has been a problem for awhile.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Nope, no noise after shutdown and thus far the noise is short lived. It will survive a restart but goes away once I start driving to the dealership! She's toying with me i guess.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:52 AM   #14
farmall130
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13857
Today's vehicles are so complicated it's frustrating when something happens. I've got a 2013 GMC 3500, it's a great truck and I've had no problems, but when I raise the hood, there's very little I can even identify, much less work on. I think all the new diesel trucks are pretty good vehicles, but a bad part can get thru sometimes. The Powerstroke forums can help a lot. good luck, Hope you get it straightened out soon....
farmall130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #15
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Dealer just called. Said they found gasoline in the tank and it's a non warranty issue. I knew they were going to say something about the fuel. Last time the first thing they wanted to do was run a fuel test. I should have bought another Ram. Making my calls for Ford Customer Care if they actually care.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If they found gasoline in the tank that is classified as abuse and will not be covered by anybody. If your HPFP is bad expect a bill of $8000 or more. If there was gas in the diesel pump the station you filed up that station will be at fault if you can prove it. Take a new can to that station and fill it up and have it tested for gasoline.
Lynwood
Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Can't blame dealer or truck maker if there is gas in the tank? Blame the place you got fuel.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #18
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I'll just update this if anybody cares.

Service guy just called. Low pressure pump is bad and they are going to void my warrant unless I pay 10k approx to replace the entire fuel system. They tested the fuel by smelling it and dumping some on the ground to see if they could light it on fire. I don't know what kind of idiot i'm dealing with now. I'm supposed to spend 10k or lose my warranty thanks to some guys nose? My day just keeps getting better. Now how do I get my truck to another dealer..

FWIW, i called the station. The owner stated they are unaware of any issues. They get Diesel daily and I'm the first person in 14 years to have this complaint. I've been buying from these folks for 2 years off an on, and the only place I buy from when I'm staying in the area.

Union 76 the supplier said I could file a claim with them and their insurance if the station doesn't acknowledge the problem.

I agree with both statements above re who is at fault, if in fact there was an issue with the pump or tank at the station. I don't want to start a flame war as I really do like the truck more than the Ram, thus the reason I own one. The problem I have is in 12 years of Diesel ownership I've never had a manufacturer even question fuel. Now twice, that was the first thing Ford questioned. How on earth can I expect to own a vehicle that I'm afraid to put fuel in? I already go to well traveled stations. Are we supposed to carry a test kit before we buy fuel? I'm just perplexed. It appears the tolerances are so tight they can't withstand anything in a fuel that is already known to be "dirty"
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Go to that station and get some fuel. Smelling fuel is not a test that is BS. Go to the station and get some fuel and have both tested. Your insurance might pick up the cost. If your low pressure pump went out that would starve the HPFP for fuel and ruin it. When HPFP goes out it takes every thing down line with it. Doesn't matter if it's GM Dodge or Ford.
You need to find out what happened to that low pressure pump. If that pump went out on its own the ball is over in Fords court.
Lynwood
Old 10-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #20
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
If that dealer puts bad fuel as the cause on record with Ford, it might be difficult to find another dealer to contradict the report. I hate to say it, as I own a 6.7 Ford also, but Ford has a history of denying claims based on "bad fuel".
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote