Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Satellite setup ..help

OK... 2013 3402 Big sky. pretty much the same as the 3400 and I assume the 2012's.
can not get the sat signal into the RV.

We have done this scores of times in the 06 3400. we use the tracker plus 400 meter and we have the reading recorded at the LNB.
We know what a good signal looks like, We get a good signal right up to the sat input jack in the convenience center

...Nothing to the Rv set...No signal whatsoever on any sat. .
I have tried everything inside the RV..My guess is I am doing something wrong on the tv setup but have no idea what.No manulas help.No wiring diagram for the Rv.

I have fpound over the years tha if you make a mistake once and it looks good you do it over and over again.

So tell me, if you can.What are the settings inside the RV.

We have the Samsung TV is the rear and the jenson in the front..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rich,
Not sure if this will help, but it seems that on our pdi we were told there is a jumper wire needed in the convenience center? Can't remember much since we now have the installed rooftop satellite.
Bingo
On edit: our sanding is set up on hdmi, if you are using RCA cables then the tv setting is either av1 or av2. Ditto for the Jensen, ours is RCA cables and av1

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rich,
We have run into the exactly the same thing. When we hook up the sat connection we get nothing in the entertainment center. We do get a signal in the bedroom. To get a signal in the living room we have simply run the cables through the window! I know... Really classy! We'll be monitoring to see what fellow MOCers come up with.

Bingo,
I seem to remember something about a "jumper" too. I'll have to check into that.

Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I think the 2006 had 2 inputs, one of which went directly to the tv/sat box. The new ones, like our 2009, have only one input and it is 'isolated' by the type of splitters it uses that don't work with the sat system. There is another splitter that does, don't remember the name, that has one port that works with each system, you need 2 of them, 1 at the convenience center input and the other inside. They look exactly like the common splitters, one connector on one side, two on the other. I installed the outside one so the single connector and the CC input were connected. The inside one was installed by the tv. The single input was hooked to the cable coming from the outside. The double side provided the connections to the original setup and the sat box. A google search should provide the correct name/model of splitter.
We can now hook a cable to one side and the satdish to the other side in the convenience center and switch between them using the tv's remote to select inputs, just like selecting dvd player[s] or tv.
I hope this isn't too confusing as it's been awhile since I did this mod.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

... No manulas help.No wiring diagram for the Rv....
I assume you have forgotten about the Montana supplied TV wiring diagrams posted here:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37324

For the newer rigs, this is the picture you need to look at:

The convenience center has separate coax feeds for the park Cable signal, a satellite feed to the entertainment center, and another satellite feed to the bedroom. If you have only a single coax line from the antenna, then you can connect it to the entertainment center or the bedroom - not both. If Dish provides two coaxes from the antenna to supply its signal - you are screwed currently. A single coax can be "split" to feed both the entertainment center and the bedroom. At least DirecTV has such a splitter, I assume Dish does too.

Assuming one coax from the antenna to the "satellite in" for the entertainment center, then there should be a plate with a duplex RF connector (mine has a "satellite" label as I recall) in the entertainment center. One RF connector has the signal from the antenna. You have to guess or use a tester to figure out which one it is. That obviously goes to the receiver. I suspect the other coax goes to the TV but the supplied wiring diagram says the customer has to supply it. In reality everyone I know uses HDMI or component cable to connect to the TV. Doing it this way allows you to select the source from the TV (cable, satellite, or DVD player) using the TV's remote - no wiring changes.

The bedroom connection, should you connect the antenna to it, requires you to use the supplied jumper to select the input (Cable/OTR Antenna or satellite) to the coax which feeds the bedroom or basement TV.

If you are receiving a SD picture and are satisfied with watching the same picture on both TVs, then the RF output of the satellite receiver in the entertainment center should be connected to the other RF port on the wall mounted duplex plate (according to the diagram this may not work - hopefully the wiring is accessible and not buried in a wall. Turn off the antenna booster and theoretically (this is not what I wanted so I didn't even try it) you should see your satellite picture on Channel 3/4 (assuming you have done a setup scan to enable Cable CH 3/4.

I would start by using dedicated RF coax connections until I get it working and then debug which built-in coax goes where.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No I got that diagram but still no luck. I will start over in the AM.It has got to be something the Tv setup.I will try the direct setup..
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I do know that somehow during the installation process I got lucky and can access satellite, on-air antenna, and cable in any combination on our three tv's. Looking in my convenience center I have a coax jumper connecting the two receptacles labelled living room satellite as well as a coax connector connecting the two bottom receptacles labelled bedroom satellite. If I want cable, I connect to the top coach cable receptacle. They did do some wiring behind the convenience center for the satellite install. Looking at carl's post makes me realize that without the installed rooftop satellite that it makes sense that two separate satellite feeds would be needed (at least for directv since I do know that I have three separate feeds from the rooftop dish. I look at it like that ford commercial, "it's magic!!!!"
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
When we installed ours last summer we had to remove the jumper inside the entertainment center. The we had to set the TV to Sat. Then we had to look at which HDMI I was connected to (there were 3 HDMI connections) Once I set the TV to the appropriate HDMI then it worked. Then I had to play around with the AV system to get sound and to get the speakers to work with the TV. Nothing is easy..
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 2013's are different...probably the 12' also
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Got it to work by going direct to Sat receiver.. Will not work going through Rv cabling..No sat signal.. We are not a happy camper.Will calm down a bit before calling Service center .That diagram dated 2010 does not help. This on the TOP OF THE LINE, BEST YOU CAN BUY..MONTANA PRODUCT.

Ok so I called the service center and I was so nice I nearly puked.
Fist the diagram date 2010 is no good.They made "many Changes" this year.. I nearly lost it there but nicely asked him.....why we did not know about the changes.. Any how he suggested it "could be"a "problem and I should pull the booster panel and check for the cable connections then go behind the convenience center and check all the cabling there/ You mean said I it could be a workmanship issue on this TOP OF THE LINE BEST YOU CAN BUY MONTANA PRODUCT.

It can happen said he.. I will check things out.....Not happy.

Pulled the receptacles in the ardmore. Every cable was loose. I pulled two off without any effort. I have installed a few cable connectors in my day ,like hundreds of them. I would be ashamed and embarrassed at the work back there.`I was hoping for better in this TOP OF THE LINE BEST YOU CAN BUY MONTANA.

Poor workmanship makes a great product a not so great product.

Now we have to go through the Rv and correct all the shoddy workmanship issues.. behind the convenience center panels is next.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Rich, may not help, but I've read on some other forums about the Sat connection being swapped with the TV outlet in the basement. You might want to just see if you connect to that port and see if you get signal. Just a thought from a former Montana owner.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Rich, may not help, but I've read on some other forums about the Sat connection being swapped with the TV outlet in the basement. You might want to just see if you connect to that port and see if you get signal. Just a thought from a former Montana owner.
Anything can happen...weill give it a look..thanks..
Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We pulled the inputs in the convience center. They were all loose and the connectors were poorly done.Will try the setup tomorrow if it does not work it stays that way till the fall rally where the service center WILL make it work.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #14
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
It is not just Keystone, it is almost everything you purchase today. I have a friend that is the service manager for a company that sells new school buses, he told me they go through every system before it goes out the door because they come in with things wired backwards, not wired, wires laying loose and any other thing you can imagine. I know we have had and are still having issues with our coach that we have had for two years that are due to poor workmanship. Good luck, hope you get it all worked out.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not at all unhappy with the Rv. 99% of everything is really good.It is the 1% shoddy workmanship that catches the eye and takes away from a otherwise great RV.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #16
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Found this site for RV satellite. www.marxrv.com/sat.htm. Very informative.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
For whatever reason, the marxrv site would not come up. Went back to the original www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/sat.htm and was re-directed. Worked this way.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
When I first got my 2006 3500rl I opened all the cable connections and marked each cable end with a different color tape. Then i mapped out the system. It made it easier to rewire it to the way I wanted it.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is a great site but the issue at hand is how is my 2013 3402 Big Sky wired for the satellite. It is wired for sat that is the way it is gonna work.
We could make it work ourselves as we did in the 06 3400.Drill a couple of holes, run some cable and no problems. Nope it is gonna work as advertised..Don't care how long it takes Montana to get it right.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, Rich. Another poor example of "Made in America" which now seems to be 99% good and that last 1% means you have to pay for a warranty program to get these things repaired and waste more time and money because the warranty program will NOT cover everything that should not have been bad in the first place. Capitalism at its best.

But wait, us customers don't understand that specifications and diagrams are only suggestions. Stop being so demanding.

BTW, when ya gonna update your sig picture?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote