Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I have only one 12 volt as I wasn't saavy enough to negotiate a second one. I had 4X 6 volt batteries in my Wildcat and it was awsome. I talked to the owner of our Batteries Plus store (I think he would know :P) about adding 2X6 volt batteries to my new 12 volt battery. He said you can't do it because they are different. My mind wants me to believe 12 volts is 12 volts but I took his advise and am running the single battery for now. I do a lot of boondocking and it doesn't keep the charge long. I have not measured yet but with the pre-wiring/enclosure for the Onan genset, the battery compartment looks pretty small and I am nervous that 4 batteries may not fit. Has anyone put 4 batteries in the compartment (drivers side) with a generator enclosure installed?

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Most of our camping has been without shore power. Two six-volts do give you more hours of power than the 12-volts. We used to be able to go days without charging and did pretty well, even with cpap running every night as well. If you are not going to be dry camping though, no need for the cost and weight.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
mlh, I don't think you are all wet about mixing the types. That's kinda what I've been reading and it sounds like what others are saying, we are on the same page. The problems arise in discharging and charging differences between all the types. And since using batteries it's all about discharging and charging 100% of the time, it's best just not to mix them, if you want the best performance.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote