Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Tail swing?

I guess it is not a problem since I have never seen anyone post about it. But there is a huge amount of length behind some of the trailers. I have never had a problem, but am always aware of the possibility. So if I am pulling out of somewhere where there is something near one side or the other, I am careful about how soon and hard I turn.
Any one ever had experience with or heard of anyone else raking the rear end against something or someone while turning? I can see it possibly happening against a tree, power pedastal, fuel pump, other close vehicle, etc. during as sharp turn.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes it has happened and was posted here. You are correct you need clearance on the opposite side of the direction you are turning. I saw a Monty leave the Rally and miss the fence by less than a foot when he made the left turn.
Miss is as good as a mile as long as you know you are going to miss.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, I have posted an experience, but it's kind of embarrassing so I'm glad you missed it. In fact, I used the "tail swing happens, don't ask me how" and sure as the sun rises and sets I was teased by one of the MOC members "So how do you know?" (I won't mention the member because he is quite the humorist with enough guts to challenge anyone who sets themselves up).

We were at an old campground that was built probably when rigs were 20' long it seems. At the corners of each campground were huge palm trees while beautiful also made it difficult to manuever around. As we were looking for a campsite to park and were going up and down the "aisles", many of the residents had their rig in a site, but their extra vehicles parked on the shoulder and into the road (and not in their small sites). When I reached the end of the road and had to make a sharp and tight right turn, I was proud I made the turn. We found a site and as we were parking a resident stopped by and informed me that my trailer swing had clipped his car. He only told me about it because his neighbor was the one that informed him of the contact - I didn't feel it at all. After I parked the rig out of the aisleway, I went over to his site and saw that the tail swing from my sharp turn had indeed tapped his rear fender. Prior to going over there I also saw his paint color on the corner of my trailer which also confirmed the contact.

The gentleman was a nice and understandable guy and the damage was not much but definitely noticeable. At my insistence we traded information (he didn't want to) and I asked him to contact me for restitution. But he told me I shouldn't worry about it since the rest of his car was pretty beat up in many other places (the damage I caused was minute in comparison) and that he was just getting ready to purchase a new vehicle and get rid of this one since it was so old anyway. He told me he was just making a big show of it to satisfy the curiosity of his nosey neighbor (I don't think this guy like that neighbor so much, and he was also parked illegally when I had hit him, but that doesn't excuse what I had done). Not that it matters, but they were retired full-timers from New Jersey. I stopped by his site a couple of times asking for how he was progressing on the estimates, but then he told me, if you don't hear from me soon, don't worry about it. Luckily, he never contacted me or my insurance and it's been almost a year - I still carry his information in my car.

The point of this long story is that tail swing is definitely a factor especially on sharp right turns lane to lane or in campgrounds. Since then, I found a couple internet stories about tail swing and how to measure for it. I don't recall where it was, but I'm sure an Internet search will find some testimonials. I read enough to know to be more careful. I was very lucky that my little accident was "forgiven" but it is something I can personally attest to and now watch for with great diligence. It has modified the approach I used to take that you want to be as far left in a lane to provide clearance for a right turn. Now I have have to think about how far left of the lane I need to be or I could clip whatever is adjacent.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Did it about a month ago. They were working on the gate into my storage lot. I cut for the turn sooner than usual and clipped the gate abit on the left upper rear of the backcap. Put a couple of unasked for scratches in the gelcoat. Can't blame anyone but the guy driving.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Believe me, it happens and that's all I'm going to say
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Not in the Monty.........yet but dug some nice grooves in some fresh payment going into a new gas station in my MH. The rise from the road into the station was too much for the MH and when the front wheels hit the ramp the back skids dug in. I suppose this can't happen with a trailer?
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We have a narrow road and a narrow gate to go through at our friends' home. We notice there is about a 5' swing going in and out of the gate. When we purchased our Montana, length was a consideration because of that gate. Our Montana is a few feet longer than our SOB was, and the extra length equals more swing. So, we would guess the longer you are, the bigger the swing.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
the distance from the tail end to the tires equates the rear end swing.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RCN.Stoker

Not in the Monty.........yet but dug some nice grooves in some fresh payment going into a new gas station in my MH. The rise from the road into the station was too much for the MH and when the front wheels hit the ramp the back skids dug in. I suppose this can't happen with a trailer?
Short answer would be a basic no. However on a 2955RL for example, the rear steps have been known to get drug and damaged if not careful. (Yes dear, the angle towards the rear on those steps is how Keystone built it for aerodynamics.)

Ground clearance is the deciding factor here. I have a 36' wedge auto transport trailer that I have come close to "high centering" before because it sits so low to the ground. Especially bad if I have 2 cars on it. Had to put it in 4 low the other day to get out of a driveway at a dealership.

I saw a full blown 9 car auto transport high centered one day coming out of a dealership. Don't know how he got that undone. He was stuck bad.

Common sense when applied in moderate doses always seems to help.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

If I think there may be a problem I get out and look. If making sharp turns such as when I have to jack knife the trailer I prefer a spotter or else I have to make plenty of trips to the back to have a look around.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

the distance from the tail end to the tires equates the rear end swing.
John, I just measured from our tires to the end of the 5er and it was 9 feet. I must be misunderstanding your post. I am the spotter when Dick goes in and out of the gate. I'm pretty sure it doesn't swing 9 feet. But, then it doesn't really matter as long as we make it in and out safely.
Sharon
Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Sharon, I was focused on your comment about your SOB and now Monty. If you pivot the Monty on the tires the back end will swing. The simple answer is the back end will swing the radius (9' for your Monty) if pivoted on the tires.
So if something is only 8 feet from your tire pivot point then the back end will hit it since you said it is 9 feet long. Most turns do not deal with just pivoting, hopefully there is forward motion too so if you move forward two feet the same time the tail end is swinging then you will still miss the obstruction that was 8 feet from your pivot point when the turn started. That is true unless the object was only a few inches from the side of the Monty or maybe even a foot depending on how tight the turn was. It is all down to the forward movement and sharpness of the turn.

The point to remember is the back end is swinging in the opposite direction the nose is moving. Therefore, if the side of the trailer is close to an obstruction before the turn is started the back end could touch it unless you pull forward to clear it first.

Bottom line as was stated, have a spotter for the rear, on both sides, especially outside for tight turns.

I hope this makes sense because I am confused.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
And make sure the spotters are looking
Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thanks John, now I understand. No we aren't pivoting that drastically. We were talking about that gate the other day on the way to visit them. We generally visit them twice a year. We've been doing this for 16 years, so most likely we've been through that gate 32 times. We have it down pat, but I think if we went with a longer 5er we wouldn't make it.
Sharon
Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When making a sharp turn (like in a CG), I always use the D/W as a ground guide.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Mirrors (and a spotter if needed) are your best friend. Today, when manuvering through a narrow street with parked cars on both sides, in Delaware, we had 3 inches of clearance on the curb side and two inches on the driver side. When we made the right turn onto the street, we missed a parked car by no more than an inch...If we had to re-do, then I guess we would have had to back up and try again...

We sometimes will over turn just to make sure we don't swing out too far...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John---- HUH???!!!???
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I understand John just fine but it's Tom (TLightning that has me confused). I'm surprised Tom's wife allows herself to be a "ground guide". Wouldn't she do much better as a "standing up spotter"? She could get run over if she's on the ground.

My thing is that my wife hasn't quite gotten the knack for standing where I can see her when she's my spotter. She's getting better but she gets mad when I move and I can't see her anymore - that's my fault ain't it? I've just learned to be more careful by myself so I have no one else to blame but myself. Truckers have been doing this for years by themselves, I gotta figure this out too.

btw - Michael and Kat - love the new sig picture with the gennys on the new platform.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 AM   #19
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If I can't see my wife I stop and sooner or later she will come into view
Old 10-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh yes..that is a common mistake and we see parts of campers at many fueling stops.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote