Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Battery Holder and Vent Hose in 3455SA

Not sure if this is applicable to all newer Montanas but, I'm sure it would be.

I want to double or even quadruple the battery storage in our rig. I know what wiring would be needed but have come up against a practical roadblock (I'm a newbie).

The front compartment where the battery is stored has a single container for a 12v battery and a matching fitted lid with a tube that vents outside. What would I have to do to put in a second battery and still maintain that venting and, even more, what about 4 batteries? Is the venting required? Can I just wire in additional batteries and not worry about the venting bt just have to worry about how I'm goiing to keep 2 (or 4) batteries in place?

Suggestions/advice welcome!

Paul

p.s. Are generators and/or inverters also stored in that front compartment if needed? I've heard of people just using the geneator in the back of a truck and hooking to the RV. Not really sure what the best way to go would be.

Jo_Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Jo_Hine:
I can tell you what I have done and you may or may not want to go that way. I went to the jel type batteries and done away with the vent system. They are a bit pricey, but I like them. Two 12v in a series with a marine control switch that you can use one, two, or both batteries at once in case you want to charge both at once....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
You can run as many batteries as you want but as for venting and safety I woulg recomnd a vented box for them. the gasses they create can cause an explosion if you have the right mixture of air and gas (hydrogen) and a spark, Boom!
I have a web site that was given on this forum for sealed battery boxes I'll come back and add it to this post.

OK got it.
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=21335F

Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

OK got it.
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=21335F
Thanks for the responses... so I can modify that (or similar) by just sticking the current vent tube to it! Great!

Paul

p.s. [GRIN] Any comment on my previous p.s. about location of generator and/or inverter?
Jo_Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
deadeye, to batteries in series doubles the voltage. Two 12s will give you 24 volts. Hooking them in parallel will give you 12 volts and double the amperage. I got rid of my OEM 12 and bought 2 Trojan Brand 6 volt golf cart batteries. I put them in a Blue Sea Battery box. The battery box ran about 120 with shipping from out in Washington. It wasn't from the link that Trailer trash posted but the prices are the same and they were pretty fast. There is plenty of room on top for the cables and it has very nice thumb screws for securing the lid. I used a Dremel tool to cut the vents out of the original battery box. I left about a half inch of material around both the top vent and the bottom vent to use as mounting brackets in the Blue Sea box. I cut holes just large enough to fit the vent flanges through then used a good silicone caulk and some small screws to attach the flanges to the Blue Sea box until the silicone setup. Before you start cutting set the new box into the old box position and mark the bottom vent hole on the bottom of the new box with a Sharpie magic marker. That will be the position of the bottom vent/drain hole. The top can be anywhere you want it as long as the hose reaches... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Dave:
You are correct. I wasn't thinking. 2 six's in a series is what I wanted to say..... Thanks....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
I added a second battery box. Drilled a hole through the floor, used silicone to seal it, screwed it down with sheet metal screws. Then I configured vent tubes with 1 1/2" PVC pipe. You can use 45s, 90s, or what ever else you need. I did not glue mine together so I could take it apart. I used a y fitting to combine the two boxes to a single pipe up to the vent. I held the PVC to the boxes and vent with a rubber pumbing coupling that clamps with hoses clamps. Works great
dmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I replaced my 12V Marine with 2 6V golf cart batteries from Sam's Club. I found a battery box on the internet that would work and transfered the vent hose to the new box. Simple set-up and it works.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #9
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
I could not find a battery box to hold my 4 6 volt batteries.
I measure and measured and took 5/8" plywood and made the boxes, the sides and bottoms are glued and screwed.
The tops are removable.
After posting in 2006, a gentle suggested to spray the boxes with a can of auto undercoating black spray, it is not effected by acid.
4 years later and the boxes and batteries are as good as the day I put them in (batteries older).
I drilled holes in the top of the boxes and put pvc fitting in and at home depot in the plumbing area they have the same size vent hose, it is flexible, and every foot and has about 4 inches that are not stiff.
I come in from the vent, to a tee in the first box, a tee in second box and a 90 degree elbow, in and out, then I run it to and out the original hole in the floor for the original battery box.
I put wire shelving over, it goes from the side to the plate where the front legs is.
I put in the watering system that allows you to use a squize bulb to water all the batteries.
Has worked well.
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The Blue Sea boxes are very nice and pricey. Unfortunately, they don't make one that will hold four golf cart batteries. I (and several others) purchased plastic battery boxes from a company near Seattle, WA. which did hold four golf carts and the price of it was less than one Blue Sea box.

That company was bought out by Fisheries Supply, but two years ago they still listed the quad GC battery box. I have a link to the old listing
http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/ln_menu/product.asp/mode/1/product_id/9037/Ntt/dyno/N/-248015/Nty/1le/R/30858/act/A01/catalog_name/FISCO/Ntx/mode+matchpartial+rel+Inactive/cookietest/1
but it no longer works. If you go to http://www.fisheriessupply.com/ you should find a contact number for them. Perhaps a phone call would allow you to determine if they still carry the quad GC battery box.

To answer your other question, the best practice is to locate an inverter (or other sensitive electronic equipment), away from wet cell batteries. The on-board generator has its own compartment to protect it (and help silence the noise). The off gassing is mostly vented but some does make its way into the compartment where the batteries are located and will affect electronic circuity.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote